Photo

The Fish Dies in the End for iPhone - Out NOW!

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16 hondaa

hondaa

Neowinian

Posted 07 April 2011 - 15:54

@hondaa: Retina display is the name given to the screen of the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4G. These screens have a resolution of 960x480 with a pixel density 2x bigger than the screens of previous iPhones (326 ppi X 163 ppi). Retina support means that the game is optimized for this screen and will take full advantage of the Retina display when played on a device that supports it. The game will also run on older devices that doenot support Retina display :). I don't have any plans for Android at the moment, but I think that it would be really nice to have an Android version. If the game sells well, it could happen. Thanks for your comment.

I know what a Retina Display is even though it is a gimmick market term. I think rather than "Retina support" as a key feature, you should highlight it instead as "Optimized for the iPhone 4". Makes you look alot more inteligent; "Retina support" looks like you bought in to Apple's marketing terms.

And I believe Android is a better market as of right now than iOS. On alot more devices than iOS is on.

Good look with your app

#17 OP gutenbergn

gutenbergn

Neowinian

Posted 07 April 2011 - 15:59

I see, sorry for implying that you didn't know what Retina display was ;). "Retina support" is the term that is commonly used to refer to optimized iPhone 4 games and that's why I'm using it. Android is surely a very exciting market nowadays. Thanks for wishing good luck!

#18 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 April 2011 - 16:09

And I believe Android is a better market as of right now than iOS. On alot more devices than iOS is on.

And I disagree with you

Read these:

http://pixelpaton.com/?p=3574

http://kerebus.com/2...game-developer/

#19 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 07 April 2011 - 16:14

Looks promising, music is catchy

#20 hondaa

hondaa

Neowinian

Posted 07 April 2011 - 16:17

And I disagree with you

Read these:

http://pixelpaton.com/?p=3574

http://kerebus.com/2...game-developer/

I commented on that Android had alot more users, not if the quality was better or/and the developers were treated better.

#21 Lunfai

Lunfai

Neowinian

• Phone: iOS 8

Posted 07 April 2011 - 16:34

That kind of success would make me a VERY happy man indeed :). Thanks a lot!

I like the concept, it's a very simple concept, and I've seen it on some other games I've played in the past. However, I don't think
I've seen a game like this on iPhone yet (mainly because I don't really download and play games, like this genre). It's certainly polished
to an extent, and I like the graphics being suitable for children, I think it could be a hit or a miss (sorry, if I offend you :()

I think the concept needs to be developed more, even if it's simple and looks nice doesn't mean it'll be a good game. One primary example is
this: Bulba The Cat, I loved the game, and thought the concept was quite nice, and the application was polished to it's bone. However, it didn't
do as well as Tiny Wings etc., but I thought it had the potential to.

Anyhow! I'm not a downer, I hope you succeed!

#22 OP gutenbergn

gutenbergn

Neowinian

Posted 07 April 2011 - 16:35

@Rudy: These are some very good links. Love reading these kinds of posts. Thanks for that!
@Shaun: Hey, thanks a lot! :)

#23 Lunfai

Lunfai

Neowinian

Posted 07 April 2011 - 16:45

I know what a Retina Display is even though it is a gimmick market term. I think rather than "Retina support" as a key feature, you should highlight it instead as "Optimized for the iPhone 4". Makes you look alot more inteligent; "Retina support" looks like you bought in to Apple's marketing terms.

Good look with your app

I just read your comment, and have to say that you're not really experience in the market to make the judgement that 'Android' is a better market than iOS. Angry Birds wouldn't even of existed on the Android, if they didn't strike gold on the iOS app store. I hardly doubt they would've just made it on Android, it iOS was to of never exist, we would never know. Most of Androids succeeding applications are derived from the iOS app store, and I strongly mean MOST. This is because iOS has a nice fan base already and a well built support for developers to make or break their debut app, if it succeeds then porting it to other devices would generate more money, where they might loose money for building for other devices and having a tough fan base to work with. It's the pioneer of any appstore/market right now.

Also, Retina display isn't a gimmick market term, it's a market team. Optimised for the iPhone 4 can lead confusing because it could mean it only runs on the iPhone whereas, Retina display support, means it's ability of adapting to the iPhone 4. Why should he be brought to Apple marketing terms, when he's clearly developed an app for an Apple product?

I just can't grasp your comment....

#24 OP gutenbergn

gutenbergn

Neowinian

Posted 07 April 2011 - 16:54

I like the concept, it's a very simple concept, and I've seen it on some other games I've played in the past. However, I don't think
I've seen a game like this on iPhone yet (mainly because I don't really download and play games, like this genre). It's certainly polished
to an extent, and I like the graphics being suitable for children, I think it could be a hit or a miss (sorry, if I offend you :()

I think the concept needs to be developed more, even if it's simple and looks nice doesn't mean it'll be a good game. One primary example is
this: Bulba The Cat, I loved the game, and thought the concept was quite nice, and the application was polished to it's bone. However, it didn't
do as well as Tiny Wings etc., but I thought it had the potential to.

Anyhow! I'm not a downer, I hope you succeed!

You're not offending me in the slightest! What you say is 100% true. I think that with so many apps on the App Store nowadays, unless you have a huge marketing budget (my marketing budget: $0), you're making a gamble that could be a hit or miss. I tried to make the most polished and best game I could with the resources I had and I'm very satisfied with the result, now I just have to know if the customers will feel the same :). I have no dreams of becoming a gazillionaire with this game (I wouldn't complain if I did, though).

What I'm doing is basically trying to make contact with all kinds of people and talking in the forums, when I go to a forum like neowin.net I try to show to people that I love games just like they do and that I'm just a regular guy fulfilling a dream of developing and releasing a game. For me, The Fish Dies in the End is already a success, even if it sells 0 copies after release (I do hope that it will sell more than that!)

I'd also like to use this post to say that you guys are awesome! Really, it's fantastic to see so much high-quality discussion about the game, with praises and also constructive criticism. That's exactly what I want to see whenever I talk about my game anywhere and it's very valuable to me, so thank you everyone :D.

#25 Lunfai

Lunfai

Neowinian

Posted 07 April 2011 - 17:06

You're not offending me in the slightest! What you say is 100% true. I think that with so many apps on the App Store nowadays, unless you have a huge marketing budget (my marketing budget: $0), you're making a gamble that could be a hit or miss. I tried to make the most polished and best game I could with the resources I had and I'm very satisfied with the result, now I just have to know if the customers will feel the same :). I have no dreams of becoming a gazillionaire with this game (I wouldn't complain if I did, though).

What I'm doing is basically trying to make contact with all kinds of people and talking in the forums, when I go to a forum like neowin.net I try to show to people that I love games just like they do and that I'm just a regular guy fulfilling a dream of developing and releasing a game. For me, The Fish Dies in the End is already a success, even if it sells 0 copies after release (I do hope that it will sell more than that!)

I'd also like to use this post to say that you guys are awesome! Really, it's fantastic to see so much high-quality discussion about the game, with praises and also constructive criticism. That's exactly what I want to see whenever I talk about my game anywhere and it's very valuable to me, so thank you everyone :D.

At least as a developer you are sane! :) Again, lots of wishes for your every success!

#26 OP gutenbergn

gutenbergn

Neowinian

Posted 07 April 2011 - 17:24

I try to be! Thanks for the wishes.

#27 OP gutenbergn

gutenbergn

Neowinian

Posted 07 April 2011 - 19:04

And here's some great news: The Fish Dies in the End now has a release date: April 13th! Are you guys ready for some fish-dying action???

I already told you guys on my latest post how fantastic this thread has been so no need to repeat that :D. Please know that it isn't too late to give me feedback about the game. I'm planning more updates after the release and I assure you that every feedback will be considered and any suggestions might make their way to the game in the near future. So, if you have any suggestions, comments or criticisms, don't be shy! Please say it ;).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v11EZviqQbI

Just to remember some important links:
Official website: http://www.thefishdies.com
Twitter (@thefishdies)
Facebook page

#28 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 07 April 2011 - 19:11

You are going to lose a sizeable market of potential sales because of the name, it really is as simple as that. This game very much could have appealed to children because of the visual style, but the name, although I realize it is meant to be tongue in cheek and a joke, just is going to instantly make some parents not even consider it.

I also am about to send you a PM with a few questions about the technical side of things, among other things.

#29 OP gutenbergn

gutenbergn

Neowinian

Posted 07 April 2011 - 19:24

Answered already, thanks a lot!

#30 OP gutenbergn

gutenbergn

Neowinian

Posted 13 April 2011 - 13:19

Hey friends, so the has been finally released! Check it out on the App Store.

Once again, thanks for all the comments and I hope that some of you guys try the game and let me know what you think.

Best regards!