Bad news for the "rooting" crowd

Guess not. :shiftyninja:

Or the bit about the phone costing ?49.99 :p

You paid ?350 phone + 12 * ?15 = ?530

They will pay ?49.99 phone + 24 * ?30 = ?769.99

Or the bit about the phone costing ?49.99 :p

You paid ?350 phone + 12 * ?15 = ?530

They will pay ?49.99 phone + 24 * ?30 = ?769.99

But if he does the same thing in a year (to get a new phone), he will end up paying ?1060 over the same amount of time. Even if he doesn't, but signs up for another 12 months at the same rate, he will pay ?710, saving a whopping ?60 (which works out to about ?2.50 a month savings).

But if he does the same thing in a year (to get a new phone), he will end up paying ?1060 over the same amount of time. Even if he doesn't, but signs up for another 12 months at the same rate, he will pay ?710, saving a whopping ?60 (which works out to about ?2.50 a month savings).

Well the other guy can't get a new phone after a year because he's locked into a 24 month contract. so he'd have to buy out of it first which would cost more.

over here they're only allowed to do 12 month contracts for private persons though, 24 month contracts are just ridiculous and anti comopetitive.

Well the other guy can't get a new phone after a year because he's locked into a 24 month contract. so he'd have to buy out of it first which would cost more.

Maybe, or maybe not, depending on the policies of the carrier. Even though it isn't really relevant to the discussion of a UK phone, the only example I can give is here in the US, the typical ETF for a smartphone is $350, which is then prorated down depending on how many months you have fulfilled out of your contract. So, the ETF at 12 months (on a 24 month contract) would be $175.

Honestly, in the end it probably works out roughly the same either way you go. You either pay more up front or you pay more over time.

I don't understand though why people get a fresh new phone and root it within hours, sticking a custom ROM on it.

What's the point? Why did you buy that phone? Because it physically looked good, as in design? That must be the reason, as surely if you liked the software, then you would want to keep it as it is?

Rooting your phone doesn't necessarily have to do anything with installing custom ROMs. I myself have a custom ROM installed (CM7) on my Xperia Mini Pro, because my idiotic manufacturer refuses to update past 2.1. Moreover, barring a few bugs, it runs better than the stock OS ever did. Similarly, if my phone is miraculously updated to 2.3 Gingerbread, I'd still root it, for the reasons below, but I'd stick with the stock OS.

Of course I rooted my phone well before these ROMs were available, for the very same reasons you stated above: Getting rid of manufacturer-installed apps I never needed or or would never use, and thereby freeing up some valuable storage space, secondly, to enable theming.

You obviously like people telling you what you can and can not do with a device you bought with your own money, for those of us that don't have much we get ****ed when "some rich guy" tells us what we can and can not do with our phone/console w.e. As far as the warrenty part of it goes that I agree with it creates a problem for OEM's since they can't proove you installed a custom rom on the device, but if you didn't have to hack the bootloader in the first place there would be less chance of bricking your phone by installing a custom rom.

The software is open source, we bought the hardware, so I don't understand why people can defend OEM's for stupid decisions.

Because you're leaving out part of the equation: the carriers determine what you can and can't do on their network, and you sign a contract with them.

So cancel your contract and do whatever you want with the software and hardware. Find out just how useful smart phones are without a network.

Because you're leaving out part of the equation: the carriers determine what you can and can't do on their network, and you sign a contract with them.

So cancel your contract and do whatever you want with the software and hardware. Find out just how useful smart phones are without a network.

One network will determine they want to ignore people who root, and that network will get all the advanced users who feel rooting is imperative to the android user experience.

Yeah I think the freedom of not being in a contract is the real benefit, not the price saving.

over here they're only allowed to do 12 month contracts for private persons though, 24 month contracts are just ridiculous and anti comopetitive.

In the UK we have to pay off the rest of the contract to cancel. Orange want to charge me ?25 * 12 = ?300 to cancel my contract a year early.

I wouldn't say that the Samsung Galaxy S is better than the iPhone 4. However, it was a different experience though.

I love to play with new toys and this was completely new. Going from owning a iPhone 3G for a couple year to an Samsung Galaxy S was exciting and fresh. I think people need a fresh new toy to play with every once in a while!

Well, tethering is not a problem to many of us in Canada because it's included as part of our data plans. except smaller data plans like some 500MB/month or lower packages. That being said, I got 3 words to them: Screw you bitches!

By rooting your phone, you gain to have a more solid OS that is regularly up to date and better battery life. The telecoms are always late on updating the OS, so they should be thanking the community for fixing their phones and increasing their sales.