iPhone 'not made' for hardcore games, says Street Fighter producer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#16 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:58

I wouldn't say an iPhone is made for gaming at all. It is a phone...

#17 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:59

This thread has done a Lazarus.

#18 vetTHolman

THolman

Mystery Tramp

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:17

Since its already been revived... I've gotten to the point where yeah, I think the iPhone is definitely more suited for casual gaming, it's just inherent in the form factor. But the iPad is a completely different deal, and I want to see more developers push it to its limits, and bring console titles over to it, like Square is doing. I'll happily pay $40 for a true hardcore experience on my iPad, and I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one. And it can work - just check out Square's offerings, like I said.

#19 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:47

iPhones, yeah, quite possibly. Although I would say even those have the potential to have hardcore titles on them, it's just that developers would rather slap stereotypical controls on a touch screen and call it a day. A good (albeit basic) example is Pac-man CE for smartphones - that game has clearly had some thought put into how the touch screen should be used as an input device rather then just shoving a virtual analogue stick onto it.

Tablets however - yeah. I can definitely see the hardcore potential in those.

#20 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 September 2012 - 00:11

As long as people are considering Call of Duty on PS3 and 360 'hardcore', smartphones are perfectly well suited to playing 'hardcore' games.

A smartphone will never match a PC with keyboard and mouse for an FPS, but it's better than using a gamepad. It'll never match using a joystick for a flight game, but with the gyroscope it's certainly better than the 360, if not the PS3 thanks to its tilt controls. The small screen size presents a problem with strategy games, and it might never match up with keyboard and mouse and a 20+" screen, but again, quite a bit better than on a console (although the Wii U might change that). Hell, the types of games that work best with a traditional controller are actually quite limited. A 360 has as narrow of a set of games that could justifiably be called hardcore as any smartphone.

#21 McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

• Phone: Nexus 6

Posted 16 February 2013 - 15:11

but...but..but.. iPhones are gonna replace Xbox and Playstation!!!

Said several fanboys.

#22 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

Posted 16 February 2013 - 15:23

I still don't understand the need to play games on a cellphone, let alone understand how some people seem to think that gaming on a cellphone is going to take over console/pc gaming.
Even for movies I think are pointless on a cellphone. Music yeah, they do make a good mp3 player. Maybe a quick lookup on the go for internet related stuff.
A good laptop even costs less than most cellphones, which would be better for gaming if ya had the need to play games somewhere other than home.

#23 vetJohn S.

John S.

 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 16 February 2013 - 16:59

Posted 07 April 2011

thread closed