Warhammer 40k: Space Marine

347869045.png

Developer: Relic Entertainment

Publisher: THQ

Engine: Phoenix Engine

Platform: Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

Release Date: September 5, 2011

Description:

In Space Marines the player engages enemies through a third-person view with both melee and ranged attacks. As a Space Marine, you are given enhanced regenerative abilities and an Iron Halo shield. When health gets low, performing executions can allow Titus to get a portion of his health back. You are accompanied by Sidonus and Leandros for most of the missions, though in some instances you will have to go on solo missions. The game features a fury system that, when filled up, allows the player to either slow time for aiming or perform devastating melee attacks. Space Marine does not feature a cover system.

Your starting weapons include a Combat Knife (Power Sword if preordered game through THQ), and a Bolt Pistol, though the player can acquire other weapons ranging from Plasma Guns and Lascannons to mighty Thunder Hammers. The game includes a new weapon not featured in the actual table-top game known as the Vengeance Launcher, which can shoot mines.

The main antagonists the player must fight are the Orks and the Forces of Chaos. The Orks are an alien race whose sheer numbers and brutish warriors make a devastating opponent. The Forces of Chaos on the other hand are a far more serious threat who can literally extinguish the life of whole star systems by summoning nearly limitless amounts of horrors that flourish in a parallel universe known as The Warp. Portals conjured by the Traitor Legions (renegade Space Marines) allow the daemons to cross over into real-space. [Source]

Features:

Space Marine features a fluid combat system that allows players to seamlessly switch from ranged to melee weapons without interrupting the flow of combat.

Hitting the melee button at any time will result in a close range strike with the equipped hand-to-hand weapon as well as the camera pulling out to melee distance. Pulling either trigger will instantly snap the view back to behind the player’s shoulder ready for precise shooting. These systems are immediately responsive and leave the player in full control at all times.

As the player dispatches enemies in Space Marine they will be earning FURY which can be used to unleash devastating ranged or melee attacks. The player can use FURY MARKSMAN to enter a heightened form of awareness where time seems to slow down allowing them to pick off multiple ranged enemies in the blink of an eye. Alternately the player can opt to utilize their FURY STRIKE up close and personal with a sweeping area of affect attack that will obliterate anything close enough and knock-back and stun more distant foes. [Source]

Story:

In Warhammer® 40,000® Space Marine® you are Captain Titus, a Space Marine of the Ultramarines chapter and a seasoned veteran of countless battles.

A millions-strong Ork horde has invaded an Imperial Forge World, one of the planet-sized factories where the war machines for humanity’s never ending battle for survival are created. Losing this planet is not an option, but a darker and far more evil threat is lurking large in the shadows of this world.

With an Imperial liberation fleet en-route, the Ultramarines are sent in to hold key locations until reinforcements arrive. Captain Titus and a squad of Ultramarine veterans use bolter and chainsword to take the fight to the enemies of mankind. [Source]

Links:

Demo:

System requirements:

Minimum Specs:
  • OS – Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP1, Windows 7
  • Processor – 2.0Ghz Dual core CPU (any Core 2 Duo or AMD X2 or better)
  • RAM – 1GB (XP), 2GB (Vista), 2GB (Windows 7)
  • Hard Drive – 20 GB space free (10 GB free after install)
  • Video Card – 256MB Video Card using Shader Model 3 (Performance equivalent to an AMD Radeon 3850 or NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT)
  • Online - Steam account

Recommended Specs:

• OS – Windows 7
  • Processor – Any Quad-core AMD or Intel Processor
  • RAM – 1GB (XP), 2GB (Vista), 2GB (Windows 7)
  • Hard Drive – 20 GB space free (10 GB free after install)
  • Video Card – 512MB Video Card using Shader Model 3 (Performance equivalent to an AMD Radeon 5750 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260)
  • Online - Steam account

Screenshots:

warhammer-40000-space-marine-20101208013359521.jpg

warhammer-40000-space-marine-20101208013353803.jpg

warhammer-40000-space-marine-20110524113204248.jpg

warhammer-40000-space-marine-20110901014321294.jpg

Videos:

I am sooo looking forward to this. The Dawn of War games were fantastic and I love the universe (having played the tabletop game in the past).

There was a Space Marine game released a few years back that was pretty much the same thing.

I'll probably buy this, but I wish they'd bring back the one game that shows what FPS Space Marine games should be, Space hulk. Space marines fights in squads, and multiple squads, they're war game material.and since they don't make sense for a tactical squad game, RTS is really th eonly way to do planet action with them. So an FPS game with Space marines should be the one thing space marines do one by one, or two by two, Clear out bug infested space hulks.

And what was the name of that game?

hmm never mind, You controlled a Tau soldier and killed space marines in that game (fire warrior), I find the Tau more suitable for this kind of game anyway. if they where doing an FPS from the imperial side, they shouldn't be about space mariens, but some of their special forces or the assasins that actually fight solo.

Good thing it's coming to PC. It will probably be Steam native considering their change to Steam with DoW2.

The blood & gore factor is satisfyingly high too.

• 1 month later...

im a nub to this ish, but isn't dawn of war and warhammer games the same?

Dawn of War is a Warhammer game yes. or rather a Warhammer 40k game.

Warhammer 40k is the universe, and was created with the Warhammer 40k, board game. Well actually I think Space Hulk was the first game made in the 40k universe.

Dawn of War is a Warhammer game yes. or rather a Warhammer 40k game.

Warhammer 40k is the universe, and was created with the Warhammer 40k, board game. Well actually I think Space Hulk was the first game made in the 40k universe.

makes sense. i actually have a couple of those warhammers games from the thq pack i bought last year but never played them. i should maybe do that...

Looking forward to this.

Currently playing through DoW 2's 2nd expansion, Retribution, which is pretty fun with the missions being more improved over the previous games. Although I dislike the fact I can never make up my mind on whether to go with heroes or honor guards, as well as making a choice on mission rewards. Trying to manage more than 4 teams is a bit of a pain too.

glad someone remembers Space Hulk, Hawk! that was one of the first games i tried to run on an ATI 3D Rage back in 1996...didn't make any difference from what i remember. wasn't that great of a game, either.

but this looks interesting, will likely get it for PC. wish someone would remake Liberation, though!

The combat dev diary was awesome. I'm really looking forward to this game. It'll definitely be a PC purchase for me.

for the emperor. bless our weapons.

if Steam figures out what went wrong with my account, i'll get this on PC, it comes with Darksiders, so why not...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
THQ?s Haugaard on reclaiming the Space Marine

Space Marine?s name isn?t doing it any favors, but is it more than meets the eye? Honestly, not really. But believe us: that?s a good thing. After a short demo, Relic?s Morten Haugaard told us why.

spacemarine21.jpg

Space Marine won?t convince Ebert that games can be art. It won?t inspire Smart People to go off and do Smart Things. It?s not a revolution ? nor does it try to be. And that?s key, because heartbreaking works of staggering genius are nice and all, but after a long day at the office, you don?t want to contemplate the nature of humanity presented metaphorically as a platformer starring bunnies. You want to shoot dudes. Mean dudes. Mean dudes who were born ? nay, spawned into existence ? for the sole purpose of playing Greedo to your Han Solo .

That?s pretty much Space Marine in a nutshell, except it also has a chainsaw sword that is absolutely delightful. It just feels? right. During our short demo, we piloted our man tank ever forward, shooting and hacking and slashing and eviscerating everything that moved ? and that was the game. It was a bloodbath plain and simple, but oddly refreshing in its straightforwardness. Afterward, we sat down for a quick chat with global brand director Morten Haugaard. He even let us keep our entrails, which is something we?re fairly happy about.

[...]

Source: VG247

That's how a Space Marines game should feel. There's an interview at the source.

• 1 month later...