Whats better? Norton AV or McAfee AV

90 members have voted

1. 1. Whats better? Norton AV or McAfee AV

• Norton AV 2002
    • McAfee 6.0
    • neither cuz free AV's are better :)

Is NAV better than McAfee AV? or is McAfee AV better than NAV?

i had some trouble with McAfee 5.0 some time back so i uninstalled it and bought the most recent version of NAV at the time.

Originally posted by Silvorgold

Is NAV better than McAfee AV? or is McAfee AV better than NAV?

i had some trouble with McAfee 5.0 some time back so i uninstalled it and bought the most recent version of NAV at the time.

I personally use McAfee 6.02 Professional. This is the latest version of McAfee and seems to work just fine. NAV is a bitch because you have to pay for the damn Virus Definition Updates so that will be a pain if your copy of NAV is "borrowed". McAfee updates are free. One thing though, if you have Windows XP and you go to Windows Update and install all the updates there, be sure to do that BEFORE installing McAfee. If you install McAfee first and then install the updates, even if McAfee is "turned off", something seems to get screwed up and makes McAfee go crazy and become unstable and seizes to work. It happened to me so that is why I am telling you this so if you are going to update the Windows XP then install the updates FIRST then McAfee. If you already have McAfee installed and do the updates then I strongly suggest you re-install McAfee after updating the PC and everything will get fixed again. Guaranteed!

I have attached a Word document which shows you how to make Windows XP faster. Enjoy!

thanx for the xp tips doc scorbing, just tried out those settings and already notice the difference :)

i never knew that norton users had to pay for the definitions, for now i'm just going to keep norton since i havent had any problems with it

I've never had to pay for definitions. With the software you get a year's 'subscription.' even if it ran out, all you have to do is reinstall the software and p00f! another year's worth. Same thing works with the 90 day trial versions..

lazydesert?

YOu sound like my freind Kevin, Arcane

He is a well paid security expert.

Never used Antivureses said he was carefully enough not to get infected by a virus.

Two months passed and I get a call.

Mike I got a virus its spread to all my machines Its a ****ing worm How could this happen

Now he is a loyal Norton User as am I

I dunno what you're talking about paying virus definition on norton 2002. I used it for 2-3 months until mcafee v6.0 was finally out. I use both pro version for them. But Mcafee is the best one. Wanna know why? I had norton 2002 (because mcafee wasn't xp compatible), I check for uptade than scan my computer for all files and folders. No Virus. I go on mcafee web site and run online scan (as test drive, only check if you have virus, can't repair, you need to pay for that, but still, you know what file are infected with who). He found 4 virus spreaded in 20 files. Remember, norton was updated. I check on virus database of norton, those virus are unknown to them. So Mcafee is really the best, I always do this test with new version since 4.0 of mcafee and Mcafee always won.

If you register Norton AV, as my dad inadvertently did, you'll only get a year of definition updates. It's a shorter time limit if you don't have the retail version. A month or two ago Neowin posted that Norton's subscription renewal fee was going up from $3.95 per year to $9.95 per year.

I've had McAfee VirusScan up to version 5.x and never had to pay for a subscription. I don't know about version 6 though. I've read that McAfee does subscriptions too, but that was in the CNet reviews.

I couldn't tell you which one is best at virus prevention, but McAfee doesn't reconfigure your email client like Norton, which has caused some tech support calls from novices.

Yeah, I remember of that fee, but has said earlier in the thread, you just have to uninstall and reinstall. But ever notice something when uninstalling Norton without reinstalling it? Leave a bunch of scrap and bug.

For Mcafee 6.0, it's free as always, and better than ever, faster too. Well, if we need to pay, I never had any bill or info asked for that and I used it since the old v2.1 on floppy for win3.1.

Thinking of it, I did'nt pay for the subscription of norton either, wounder why? Where they supose to ask for that? I always update without any asking about anything, they told me that my subscriptioni was ending in 1 years, but never saw any bill!

Anyway, has I always say: "I recommend Mcafee, as for me, it's the best but use wich ever you want, it's your choice."

I have used both NAV and MAV. MAV is better imo but you cant make it stop starting up :devious: on windows boot. NAV updating nav is real real slow. I dont like that at all. Maybe I have some setting wrong or something but who knows. Scanning the files take forever too. I think mav is faster.

Norton anti virus 2002 is so much better than mcafee anything its not even funny. ive used them both for long periouds of time.. trust me.. NAV is alot bette.r

Originally posted by Arcane

virus scanners are for newbies and illiterates

then one day if u dont have a virus scanner and windows wont boot up due to an infection.....only IF your very careful about everything you download

• 5 weeks later...

pfft I use both.

wow how 1337 am I.

But I have found Mcafee found somethings that Norton hasnt and vice versa.

At one stage I had PC-cillin 2000, Innoculan, Nortons and Mcafee on a box, LOL. Never got any viruses thats for sure.

And I never had any performance problems.:cool:

Originally posted by Silvorgold  

then one day if u dont have a virus scanner and windows wont boot up due to an infection.....only IF your very careful about everything you download

first of all you shouldn't download anything that you don't know what it is...

second, after saying the first, you don't need to be catious no more if u know where the file is coming...

third, IMO i think virus scanners are useless and rip-off's and i guess they're perfect for the average user, but not me.

i've never gotten a virus since i became more knowledgable about computer's (which is for many years now). also IMO, i'd think any user who cosiders themself good at comps should have a computer formated, up and running in less than an 2 hours if they were to ever get in a situation where they do have a virus.

oh, btw, it helps if no one else use's your computer.... like family... if so, virus scanners are the way to go, if u have a dumb lil bro or something and i would choose nortons.

I consider myself a to be v good @ using computers, and it is pretty obvious when something is/isn't a virus. Recently, i have been using AV software because on USENET/IRC people post up plenty of stuff and there are of viruses in well disguised files, and viruses are getting so good at manipulating MS outlook and stuff that you may not even realized you opened a virus.

So far my scanner caught 2 ;) 1 of them was from that installer for limewire.

For me Norton, the interface is good also has the professional look.

Also Mcafee Requires virus subscriptions just like Norton, it's just that it doesn't tell you when it expires, which is like a Year, and it has been since version 4 (when i used it).