Why is CCleaner considered crap?

Because some people think cleaners such as CCleaner will do magic things and make everything 1000x faster.

It doesn't, of course. Unless it's a very old computer (small and slow hard drive + lots of temp files), the difference is noticeable but not huge.

CCleaner is on all our family's computers. We have had no problems at all with it and have been using it for several years. I think it is a great program.

Crap because it's unecessary. the useful parts of it windows can already do. then you have the registry part, which can kill computers, and I have had to fix several computers that have dies because they used the CCleaer registry cleaner. There are worse registry cleaners, but there's not good registry cleaner. Yeah sure 99.999% of the time it won't do any damage. but it's that one time...

99.999% is probably about correct. I've ran the registry cleaner 200+ times without an issue.

The only reason I use the registry cleaner is because I actually use the registry from time to time. It's useful to be able to search the registry without having to sift through thousands of entries that are no longer required by the computer.

It's on all my computers, and on any computer I install, such as friends or families. It's always set to run silently on boot, so family and friends often don't even know it's there. I don't religiously run the registry cleaner, but do periodically just because. I have *never* had any issues with the Registry cleaner portion messing up the system. I prefer CCleaner's registry cleaning system because it just fixes known issues and doesn't try and get too aggressive with the Registry.

The CEnhancer additions are also wonderful.

I really have no idea how anyone thinks it is crap.

99.999% is probably about correct. I've ran the registry cleaner 200+ times without an issue.

The only reason I use the registry cleaner is because I actually use the registry from time to time. It's useful to be able to search the registry without having to sift through thousands of entries that are no longer required by the computer.

unused registry entries doesn't really matter in your ability to search the registry, since the registry is sorted alphabetically and in tree form. even if they're there, for an EA game for example it'd still beunder /ea/ and the further dub dirs.

Ccleaner is mediocre in cleaning temp files. Add the winapp2.ini from CCEnhancer (no need to install CCEnhancer) which adds 450 applications to the list, and Ccleaner turns to be good.

Ccleaner is crap in all other areas like registry fixing and other Windows "improvements".

p.s use the portable version of Ccleaner. The less you install (and use portable apps) the more your Windows PC is stable and secure.

For all those who use CCleaner to "clean" the registry, you do all know that "cleaning" the registry is not needed? It doesn't save space or time or anything. In fact, Mark Russinovich himself (Sysinternals guy) has specifically said they're pointless. Cleaning the registry doesn't make Windows run better.

Windows takes around 0.0018 seconds to open, read, and close 100 keys. How much to do you CCleaner will help you by deleting a few keys that may be falsly detected?

I use it, but I won't recommend it to someone who doesn't know what he does. Almost everything the app provides is available in a normal Windows installation, with the exception of the wiping of free space, something that one shouldn't be doing if he's still using his hard drive.

Please. Lets talk about ccleaner in 2 parts.

1) the registry cleaner part. It's just like all other registry cleaners. Plus you have to go out of Your way to run it. It is not on the default scan.

2) as a crap file remover. Please dont confuse this with the registry part. You can run this by itself and this part of the application is what makes it great. Forget about the registry part of the application. This part is great to run before you do a scan,

Please. Lets talk about ccleaner in 2 parts.

1) the registry cleaner part. It's just like all other registry cleaners. Plus you have to go out of Your way to run it. It is not on the default scan.

2) as a crap file remover. Please dont confuse this with the registry part. You can run this by itself and this part of the application is what makes it great. Forget about the registry part of the application. This part is great to run before you do a scan,

and even for the "crap" file remover. how much space do you really think you're saving with it. very little. how much performance do you think it gains ? nothing.

and even for the "crap" file remover. how much space do you really think you're saving with it. very little. how much performance do you think it gains ? nothing.

You've obviously never run CCleaner on a 4+ year old computer used by an "average user"...

I'm talking about running it before you do a scan. Removing 1000+ fun files it then does not have to scan.

You've obviously never run CCleaner on a 4+ year old computer used by an "average user"...

I have, and while it removes a lot of crap I don't think it helps the performance of the machine other than it reduces the time it takes to scan the machine with an av or antimalware solution. The only thing that would make the computer un better after running CCleaner is if the user was really hurting for hard drive space, like they had less than 10% left.

ccleaner (as a temp cleaner) has one major flaw...it needs to be ran under each profile that logs onto the computer for it to remove all of the temp files on the computer....you can manually clean it faster than running ccleaner in many cases. pirform has stated that this is not a flaw and it is by design, if you (the user) doesn't like it we (pirform) don't care.

Otherwise, ccleaner is great for removing almost all temp files.

I also recommend clearing the system restore points

System Restore? Lol turn this off from the start as it serves no purpose other than to screw things up even more. First thing I do when I install a OS is turn this feature off.

System Restore? Lol turn this off from the start as it serves no purpose other than to screw things up even more. First thing I do when I install a OS is turn this feature off.

Win XP yes, I agree. Win Vista and 7, no it actually works right.

I can't stand it because it doesn't do anything useful that Windows doesn't already do and the registry "cleaner" routinely removes COM object registrations if it can't resolve them, therefore breaking some components' installations.

IMO it's about as useful as those TCP/IP tweakers.

e, and while it removes a lot of crap I don't think it helps the performance of the machine other than it reduces the time it takes to scan the machine with an av or antimalware solution. The only thing that would make the computer un better after running CCleaner is if the user was really hurting for hard drive space, like they had less than 10% left.

I once used it on an old Tablet PC (900 MHz processor, 40 GB slow disk...) and it deleted gigabytes of temp files. Then I defragged the drive...and everything was noticeably faster.

Of course, that's a bit of an extreme example.

@sava700: Uh...sorry, but, no, it doesn't "screw things up even more". It's a useful feature.

Don't use the installed version, use the portable as it doesn't load anything. Many programs like this one are getting bloat ware on them when you install too so you must slow down to make sure true "Crap" isn't installed along with it.

I sure hope you follow up with a boot time scan with say Avast Home free or MSE cause I can assure you if it's infected with much of the malware floating around your going to miss alot of things still in the system mostly java related infections and trojans. Malwarebytes is good, so is ccleaner but they never EVER get everything.

Soon as you said avast, you lost my attention.

• Like 2

As soon as you said avast lost your attention, you lost my attention.

As soon as you said "as soon as you said avast lost your attention, you lost my attention" you lost my attention :shiftyninja:

• Like 2