Photo

Why is CCleaner considered crap?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#46 ArsalanAly

ArsalanAly

Neowinian

Posted 11 April 2011 - 17:22

well ccleaner is my primary app on my PC ... . it's really help me out to keep clean my PC all da tyme !!

#47 Mikeparkie

Mikeparkie

Neowinian-Geek

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 April 2011 - 17:46

CCleaner + CC Enhancer + Diskmax is my perfect combo for a tuneup. Used to be Tuneup Utilities but thats a bit bloated these days.

#48 Secular Humanist

Secular Humanist

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 April 2011 - 17:55

Don't use the installed version, use the portable as it doesn't load anything. Many programs like this one are getting bloat ware on them when you install too so you must slow down to make sure true "Crap" isn't installed along with it.

I sure hope you follow up with a boot time scan with say Avast Home free or MSE cause I can assure you if it's infected with much of the malware floating around your going to miss alot of things still in the system mostly java related infections and trojans. Malwarebytes is good, so is ccleaner but they never EVER get everything.

Soon as you said avast, you lost my attention.

#49 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 11 April 2011 - 18:03

Soon as you said avast, you lost my attention.

As soon as you said avast lost your attention, you lost my attention.

#50 muratoner

muratoner

Neowinian

Posted 11 April 2011 - 18:07

As soon as you said avast lost your attention, you lost my attention.

As soon as you said "as soon as you said avast lost your attention, you lost my attention" you lost my attention :shiftyninja:

#51 soonerproud

soonerproud

soonerproud

Posted 11 April 2011 - 18:17

As soon as you said "as soon as you said avast lost your attention, you lost my attention" you lost my attention :shiftyninja:

I was never paying attention anyway.

#52 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 11 April 2011 - 18:18

System Restore? Lol turn this off from the start as it serves no purpose other than to screw things up even more. First thing I do when I install a OS is turn this feature off.

Yeah but it's likely the user whose pc you are cleaning had it on...

#53 Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

Posted 11 April 2011 - 18:29

I too use ccleaner on one of my flash drives...I take it with me just for a quick, portable clean-up of a customer's machine, or one of my own, if needed...however, since I discovered how well DiskMax does the job, I've slowly found myself leaning toward it more and more. As far as reg cleaners go, I don't see much point in using them. I mean, with stuff like Revo Uninstaller, it makes reg cleaners pointless, as it does what I need, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

#54 este

este

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 April 2011 - 18:36

I have it installed on all my machines too. Works well for wiping the crap left behind when web browsing.

#55 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

Posted 11 April 2011 - 18:41

The biggest thing I find that I need to do on anyone's machine which is a few years old with no maintenance is disable certain startup apps, remove endless toolbars and empty out gigabytes of temp stuff that's accumilated and I must say there is definitely a noticeable difference after using ccleaner to clear out temp folders, especially on Windows XP.

#56 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 11 April 2011 - 18:45

I'll step up and say while I like CCleaner for certain targeted actions, its a far cry to say that 1) say EVERY PC needs it and 2) That users in general should be using it for 'maintenance' . Its at best an easy way to clean up temp and startup items but far too many people install it locally and just run it with default settings. I can only shake my head at any tech who does such things under the auspices of desktop maintenance.

#57 +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 11 April 2011 - 18:46

System Restore? Lol turn this off from the start as it serves no purpose other than to screw things up even more. First thing I do when I install a OS is turn this feature off.

Every time I hear this I just shake my head.

#58 kalel83

kalel83

Kryptonian

Posted 11 April 2011 - 18:47

Ok guys. I've read almost every comment on the front page regarding the Top 10 apps which shouldn't miss (http://www.neowin.ne...ould-be-without) , and most people were attacking CCleaner.
I just wonder why?
I know that it has several problems with the registry.
But I, with several computers, have never experienced any kind of problems, even using recklessly the registry feature. (Vista - 7 PCs)

So, why? BSOD, programs crashing? Never experienced them...

it was most likely bashed because a noob can completely destroy their pc with it, which in my opinion is not the apps fault (does that make regedit bad as well?)

#59 +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 11 April 2011 - 18:49

For some reason when it deletes the temporary internet files it TAKES forever to do so. But if I were to local the content.ie5 folder and do myself (including hidden folders) all the files delete SOOOOOooo much faster. So I usually just clean that folder and the temp folder by hand, then run ccleaner for the rest

#60 ddiggity

ddiggity

Neowinian

Posted 11 April 2011 - 18:50

I love CCleaner. You have to realize the C stands for CRAP right? Crap Cleaner was the first iteration of the program.

+1

CCleaner(or crap cleaner) has been a part of my desktop for a few years now with no complaints. It has helped me clean my computer from one central place on my computer and search my registry which I like.@hwarwagon, I don't use it really for a registry cleaner but, like using it for searching the registry. Also, I agree with you that their cleaner tool is what makes this application worth it(which is most of my use anyway). And with the support for the new browsers http://www.softwarec...-ie9-firefox-4/ I have had no complaints.