Settlement in George Hotz Case

Terrorism is usually rooted in opposition towards an unjust body or authority. Thus the OKC bombing and the IRA not being religious.

There were reasons far beyond opposition for authority in both situations you're citing, and you could easily call to question the psychological state of those in question. But we're getting off-topic.

Never understood why anyone would willingly donate to a guy who quite clearly has broken the law. Not to mention he caused a lot of asshatery on PSN. Why would you donate to him unless you were one of those asshats?

It's the David vs Goliath syndrome. People don't like seeing companies going after "one guy". David Jaffe summed it up well when he spoke about "the man" and how "the man" will have bent over everyone in America at some point. Basically people want revenge at "the man" so group mindsets form, hate spreads, and then you get people acting in unorthodox ways - Such as giving away their own earnings to someone they don't know, for what has been basically no return.

As you can see most people who are backing Geohot on this forum are those that claim to currently boycott Sony, or at least have some sort of dislike for the PS3 making this whole legal case a prime opportunity to get back at "the man".

It's the David vs Goliath syndrome. People don't like seeing companies going after "one guy". David Jaffe summed it up well when he spoke about "the man" and how "the man" will have bent over everyone in America at some point. Basically people want revenge at "the man" so group mindsets form, hate spreads, and then you get people acting in unorthodox ways - Such as giving away their own earnings to someone they don't know, for what has been basically no return.

As you can see most people who are backing Geohot on this forum are those that claim to currently boycott Sony, or at least have some sort of dislike for the PS3 making this whole legal case a prime opportunity to get back at "the man".

Earnings, ironically, probably attained by working for "the man".

Never understood why anyone would willingly donate to a guy who quite clearly has broken the law. Not to mention he caused a lot of asshatery on PSN. Why would you donate to him unless you were one of those asshats?

It's jailbreaking. It's been proven in court that it's legal, whether or not Sony likes it or not. Or are you one of the people who got what he did confused with piracy? If so, despite the fact that it makes piracy possible, it in itself is not piracy, & also makes much more possible. & frankly, that, "much more," is the only thing those hackers like George Hotz supports.

It's jailbreaking. It's been proven in court that it's legal, whether or not Sony likes it or not. Or are you one of the people who got what he did confused with piracy? If so, despite the fact that it makes piracy possible, it in itself is not piracy, & also makes much more possible. & frankly, that, "much more," is the only thing those hackers like George Hotz supports.

Jailbreaking is limited to mobile devices. Try again.

Jailbreaking is limited to mobile devices. Try again.

Jailbreaking is just a term for modding coined for specific devices. As of recently, it ha also applied to the PS3, believe it or not.

You have no concept of the law. Jailbreaking is legal for cell phones -- and only specifically legal in the United States. "Jailbreaking" the PS3 is not legal. Please cite where it has been proven in court that modding a console is legal. Because that's not the case.

Jailbreaking is just a term for modding coined for specific devices. As of recently, it ha also applied to the PS3, believe it or not.

Proof or GTFO.

You have no concept of the law. Jailbreaking is legal for cell phones -- and only specifically legal in the United States. "Jailbreaking" the PS3 is not legal. Please cite where it has been proven in court that modding a console is legal. Because that's not the case.

While the case where it became legal regarded the iPhone, the court's decision applied to all devices.

EDIT: & by the way, here's your proof Note how general # 2 is:

http://www.cultofmac.com/why-jailbreaking-is-now-legal-its-your-iphone-not-apples/52448

Proof or GTFO.

http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=define%3Ajailbreaking&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1

While the case where it became legal regarded the iPhone, the court's decision applied to all devices.

http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=define%3Ajailbreaking&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1

No, it didn't. It specifically specified it applied only to cell phones. Read the government document I cited for you, <snipped>.

Your "proof" isn't proof. Nice try. Now GTFO. :laugh:

Edited by Anaron

No, it didn't. It specifically specified it applied only to cell phones. Read the government document I cited for you, <snipped>.

Your "proof" isn't proof. Nice try. Now GTFO. :laugh:

"Jailbreaking is a process that allows iPhone and iPod Touch users to run any code on their devices, as opposed to only that code authorized by Apple." - Googling define:jailbreaking

"Modding refers to the act of modifying a piece of hardware or software or anything else for that matter, to perform a function not originally conceived or intended by the designer." - Gooling define:modding. That's kinda what the added code does...

Edited by Anaron

"Jailbreaking is a process that allows iPhone and iPod Touch users to run any code on their devices, as opposed to only that code authorized by Apple." - Googling define:jailbreaking

"Modding refers to the act of modifying a piece of hardware or software or anything else for that matter, to perform a function not originally conceived or intended by the designer." - Gooling define:modding. That's kinda what the added code does...

That what was asked of you. What I asked, verbatim: "Please cite where it has been proven in court that modding a console is legal." I'm aware of what modding and jailbreaking are; I don't need them defined to me, thanks.

I support Hotz, Screw Sony and any other juggernauts of industry (and government). If only the console makers were open with their systems. It is this behaviour and the changes I saw back in 1999-2004, that caused me to decide against into gaming.

Ugh, terrorism. I know there are a lot of corporate shills on this board, but associating jailbreaking a games console with terrorism is just f****** stupid :/

Ugh, terrorism. I know there are a lot of corporate shills on this board, but associating jailbreaking a games console with terrorism is just f****** stupid :/

Only one person made that comparison, I believe.

There were reasons far beyond opposition for authority in both situations you're citing, and you could easily call to question the psychological state of those in question. But we're getting off-topic.

It would have been easier to not go off-topic in the first place rather than making blanket statements

It would have been easier to not go off-topic in the first place rather than making blanket statements

I wasn't the one who brought terrorism into the discussion. I was calling it an asinine comparison, as it is. Stop derailing the thread.

It doesn't matter what any of you think, the balance of power has been kept which is why it was necessary for Geo to demonstrate his abilities against these corporations, you can't give too much privilege to the consumer or the industry otherwise there's an imbalance to productivity and fairness.

Oh ok. You're the mod after all :rofl:

It's jailbreaking. It's been proven in court that it's legal, whether or not Sony likes it or not. Or are you one of the people who got what he did confused with piracy? If so, despite the fact that it makes piracy possible, it in itself is not piracy, & also makes much more possible. & frankly, that, "much more," is the only thing those hackers like George Hotz supports

Jailbreaking phones has proven to be legal. It's very similar but consoles are a whole other can of worms. If it weren't for physical media being the "meat and potatoes", we might be closer to having the same decision made for consoles.

I support Hotz, Screw Sony and any other juggernauts of industry (and government). If only the console makers were open with their systems. It is this behaviour and the changes I saw back in 1999-2004, that caused me to decide against into gaming.

What is your definition of being "open" with a console? Please do enlighten.

What is your definition of being "open" with a console? Please do enlighten.

obviously no copy protection, ability to run any program you want, no license to make console games. basically the wild west of the computer gaming where more people cheat than people that don't. never mind the fact you're buying a console, not a computer.

I love how people think Sony was being greedy and was just after money. People these days seem to go to great lengths to create controversy and hysteria over nothing more than the pumped up ferver of those who have something against a company.

Translation: "I don't like paying money for DLC, I want to make my own maps and just because consoles do it differently suddenly makes them evil, evil machines that are closed...greedy corporations...blah blah blah". I'm assuming that's what you mean by "open", because I honestly can't think of anything else that would make one say that.

No offense, but whine more, why don't you. Console gaming is here to stay, and I'm perfectly content with how "open" it is (or isn't). At least on the 360, I have little to no cheating, a consistent gaming experience, the comfort of analog controls, and the peace of mind knowing that my working computer that I depend on is seperated physically from the machine I play my games on.

obviously no copy protection, ability to run any program you want, no license to make console games. basically the wild west of the computer gaming where more people cheat than people that don't. never mind the fact you're buying a console, not a computer.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he answers with a more detailed explanation, however if what he wants is all of the above then it's a dead end discussion. The majority see it as a plus that consoles have a controlled online environment, gives the feeling of security that everyone is on a level playing ground - Which everyone should be, skill should separate gamers, not pieces of code that give unfair advantages, or even become destructive.

I love how people think Sony was being greedy and was just after money. People these days seem to go to great lengths to create controversy and hysteria over nothing more than the pumped up ferver of those who have something against a company.

Translation: "I don't like paying money for DLC, I want to make my own maps and just because consoles do it differently suddenly makes them evil, evil machines that are closed...greedy corporations...blah blah blah". I'm assuming that's what you mean by "open", because I honestly can't think of anything else that would make one say that.

No offense, but whine more, why don't you. Console gaming is here to stay, and I'm perfectly content with how "open" it is (or isn't). At least on the 360, I have little to no cheating, a consistent gaming experience, the comfort of analog controls, and the peace of mind knowing that my working computer that I depend on is seperated physically from the machine I play my games on.

Well he could mean a lot of things by open, but it's slightly strange to attack the console that allows a little more than the others when it comes to user ownership/tinkering - Own hard drives, own headsets and a DRM policy that allows up to 5 PS3s at any one time accessing the content you've bought from the store.

And yes, up until people couldn't keep their hands off of Sony's proprietary OS/Security layer, a console that allowed you to install the suddenly incredibly popular Linux.

The launch PS3 was probably the most open a console has ever been, but the market proved that that doesn't really seem to be the target of the console generation, and as always being open with technology leads to exploitation and seas of ridiculous entitlement mindsets.

Console manufacturers should be more lax on some things like the hard drives/headsets and store based DRM, but you seek much more than that, just buy a PC, it will meet your needs better.

I made the comparions to the mentality, not the actual acts of terrorism. Other people got it.

Ability to run your own code, IE homebrew.

That's a pretty insanely high demand on console manufacturers, IMO.

Ironically, the PS3 was probably the closest to "open" for a console by allowing people to run Linux, but hackers pretty much took that away from everyone by breaking the PS3 firmware and allowing pirated games.

You can bet that Sony won't have OtherOS in the PS4. Very sad.