Meet Firefox Next

firefox

3985 replies to this topic

#2596 Demz

Demz

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:58

Even I don't like Australis design and this change is bumper for me. I agree if only for one or two cycles, Firefox dev try to look into old dead code cleanup and less importing of new and new libraries then they can make a good improvement, like less code less maintenance code, faster build times but structure detailed code, C++11 compliance as much as they can and what not. So there is no doubt yes Gecko is bloated.
I personally don't like Chrome but on laptops where you set Power plan I noticed severe degradation of performance from Firefox Nightly even although that lappy was of i5 and 4 GB RAM. So I think several things to be done before Firefox could reach its prime time again.

my system aint slow by all means but Chrome works so much better for me on this x6 AMD Core 8Gig Ram PC than Firefox does, i dont mind Australis, but i have my doubts that i'd like this New in-content stuff, bookmarks etc in it.

i dont wanna be the first to say it but Mozilla is a Dying breed of Browsers, they have left it to long to play catchup and are losing users in the mean time. ( i still love Firefox dont get me wrong ) its just sad to see a once loved Browser turn to ****. they implement unfinished features which turns users away to another browser. but at the end of the day i think all they care about now is Mobile Browsers etc, the Desktop Browser is nearly Dead. . Google Chrome is the New Firefox whether you like it or not.

all Firefox Desktop will become is like Thunderbird at the end when they implement all Desktop Features, if Bug Fix's which is kinda Generally happening now. even Lijnux Browsers do not use Gecko. only Browser i can think of that may use Gecko in Linux an that's Galeon.

#2597 +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Nokia C3-00 (8.70 firmware)

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:07

my system aint slow by all means but Chrome works so much better for me on this x6 AMD Core 8Gig Ram PC than Firefox does, i dont mind Australis, but i have my doubts that i'd like this New in-content stuff, bookmarks etc in it.

i dont wanna be the first to say it but Mozilla is a Dying breed of Browsers, they have left it to long to play catchup and are losing users in the mean time. ( i still love Firefox dont get me wrong ) its just sad to see a once loved Browser turn to ****. they implement unfinished features which turns users away to another browser. but at the end of the day i think all they care about now is Mobile Browsers etc, the Desktop Browser is nearly Dead. . Google Chrome is the New Firefox whether you like it or not.

all Firefox Desktop will become is like Thunderbird at the end when they implement all Desktop Features, if Bug Fix's which is kinda Generally happening now. even Lijnux Browsers do not use Gecko. only Browser i can think of that may use Gecko in Linux an that's Galeon.

Same though here I know and using Firefox since before FF2 version and liked it but currently their focus is just Firefox OS and Android although they manage to do really good on Android but I don't think their Firefox mobile OS will survive in iOS, Android and WP market.
So rather than focus on new market they should have strengthen their footholds of strong market and developed one. One step lose from it and now you can see they are still struggling to go against Chrome. Its not about even IE10 is amazingly fast although lack some standard support and issues from site optimizing but it is out of era of IE6 garbageness.
My system is also not slow it is i7 with 12 GB and laptop is i5 with 4 GB but only desktop shows Nightly speedness (only with High Performance "Power plan") as soon as you change power plan in OS, Firefox start to struggle.
Lets hope they manage to pull something good not like SocialAPI, Australis and other stuff.

Gecko is not easy to step or hack by new developers on other side Webkit is. So Firefox developer should remove their old code and document new code so that it could be easier for new user to hack into Gecko and develop some awesomeness in it.

#2598 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:31

Currently if you see last few comments on Australis bug, another dev mentioned that Australis regress their performance considerably on low spec notebooks and even on i7 level PC it regress performance, so I don't think it gonna land with these regression which means it will be further delayed.

Good. As far as I'm concerned they could delay Australis indefinitely. It's absolutely hideous design. Not that my opinion matters for anything. :rofl: :wacko:

#2599 Demz

Demz

Neowinian

Posted 07 December 2012 - 22:32

ever since SmartPhones ever came out that is where the New Development has been as millions if not billions of people use from day to day. more than a Desktop Browser. , eventually even the Desktop PC will be completely dead. it'll all be tablets and or laptops.

#2600 1941

Banned

Posted 08 December 2012 - 14:41

https://donate.mozil...21200_snip_fft1

Thirty dollars for a T-Shirt. I don't think so.

#2601 OP bogas04

bogas04

This title is bogus

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 09 December 2012 - 16:25

Gecko is not easy to step or hack by new developers on other side Webkit is. So Firefox developer should remove their old code and document new code so that it could be easier for new user to hack into Gecko and develop some awesomeness in it.

Servo is actually going to do that :)

#2602 +M2Ys4U

M2Ys4U

Your friendly neighbourhood Pirate!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 19:38

Servo is a research project, though.

#2603 Excelsis

Excelsis

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 December 2012 - 19:53

Alright, I've been holding off posting this, but I just can't ignore it anymore. For the past week I've been trying to fix this.

I previously talked about Google Maps being stuttery and actually running better in the in-game Steam browser.
Well I recently realized that ALL Youtube videos stutter as well, dropping around 5 to 10 frames every 10 to 20 seconds. Always.
Now, back then I was still running a 4890, so I thought maybe the issue with Google Maps was due to AMD's Legacy drivers.
But no, I've since upgraded to a GTX 660 Twin Frozr III and the issue is still there, plus, the flash video issue.

The kicker? If I use IETab in Firefox on Youtube, there's zero frames dropped. Both Chrome and IE run flash (and maps) flawlessly, so the only conclusion I can come up with is that the issue is Firefox, not my computer.

I tried both the stable (17.0.1) and latest Nightly and the issue was there. I tried to do alot of things short of reinstalling Windows. Safe mode, new profile, disabling protected mode, HW acceleration off in Fx, off in Flash, off in both, on in both. Nothing could fix it.

I knew Firefox had performance issues but I didn't realize it was this bad. Makes me sad considering I've been using it since the Firebird days...

Now, a few questions, has anyone noticed this issue? Or was able to fix it? And when is Youtube gonna implement HTML5 on all videos!?

#2604 Demz

Demz

Neowinian

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:12

what i dont get, if they are gonna ditch Gecko at some stage, why not just Ditch the whole Browser ( firefox ) an make a New Browser with the New rendering engine in it. , surely that would be easier

full HTML5 implementation wont come for years.IMO. so i wouldnt get ya hopes up to high

#2605 Demz

Demz

Neowinian

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:59

anyone know if there are any New builds with inContent ?

#2606 +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:19

anyone know if there are any New builds with inContent ?

Not yet but might be soon since Download Panel is on its polishing phase so it requires Library window for Downloads handling (in future) that's why.

So it is where they are doing Rust based future Firefox bug thanks for sharing it but I still consider as a business student, time to market is too late. Ehsan and Areyh did some excellent work to make Gecko little C++11 compliant and still working on it. It will help somewhat but not much. The reason why we see too much progress and intention on JS side is the good example that it code changed quite a lot and well documented except GC case where BillM and Terrence are doing heroic work.

#2607 +M2Ys4U

M2Ys4U

Your friendly neighbourhood Pirate!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 22:21

what i dont get, if they are gonna ditch Gecko at some stage, why not just Ditch the whole Browser ( firefox ) an make a New Browser with the New rendering engine in it. , surely that would be easier

I'm not sure you understand quite how complicated a web browser is. There's a reason there are only, what, 4 codebases out there. Gecko, Trident, Presto and WebKit.

#2608 Demz

Demz

Neowinian

Posted 10 December 2012 - 22:23

Not yet but might be soon since Download Panel is on its polishing phase so it requires Library window for Downloads handling (in future) that's why.

ohh ok thanks dude

#2609 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:24

I'm not sure you understand quite how complicated a web browser is. There's a reason there are only, what, 4 codebases out there. Gecko, Trident, Presto and WebKit.

And WebKit started as a fork of KHTML, Apple thought it was easier than writing their own engine (And Google decided the same)

#2610 +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 14:18

Ion Monkey now do compilation off the main thread, enabling bug landed on Inbound. Several amazing bugs related to JS engine landing which will probably improve performance quite a lot. Few Snappy P1 bugs are near to land out of which one even landed it was related to Download API async.
Download attribute bug fixes and some other performance improvement coming. I am loving FF20 without Australis. Amazing performance.

Interesting bugs:
Cache font mechanism and sharing between pages (something like this) - https://bugzilla.moz...g.cgi?id=816483
Ion Monkey - https://bugzilla.moz...g.cgi?id=727857
Constant Invalidation fix on Tomshardware - https://bugzilla.moz...g.cgi?id=805343
Mac only I think DLBI issue fix - https://bugzilla.moz...g.cgi?id=819837
Regression regarding background - https://bugzilla.moz...g.cgi?id=818643
Regression of CSS3D Transforms - https://bugzilla.moz...g.cgi?id=815666