Meet the browser: Firefox Next

I guess that might be due to the lighter border around the tab that makes it look flatter.

They usually do these theme updates in increment in any case, and they don't always follow the mockups. There were so many different mockups for Fx3.6/4, it was hard to keep track of them all at some point.

Nothing's really happened :laugh:

There's been a bunch of UI and feature work for the 10 release (Like if Firefox is the default browser and you do a search through Cortana, it'll pull out the search string and run that via your default search engine and not just Bing). I've been following the media work a bit and there's been some big changes, but it's all low level architectural crap that isn't very interesting to normal people :p

Edit: Oh yeah, a bunch of work on APZ, both for desktop and the Android release (See ya Java APZ), and they're slowly moving the Linux release off GTK2/X11 to GTK3/Cairo (or Skia) that will eventually allow for native Wayland rendering (And in the short term greatly improve HiDPI rendering on Linux). Font support has been improved on Linux too, but due to how some distros do things that's constantly running into issues.

anyone finding the fonts not so great for the latest waterfox version? I've had to force candara since the defaults are hella jaggy

Latest OS X nightly has APZ enabled, and either tonight's or tomorrows should have it enabled on Windows as well.

Edit: Oh yeah, looks like the OS X release is going to move from CoreGraphics for rendering to Skia, since in some workloads Skia is stupidly faster (Like 200x faster)

in that Bug mentioned, gtk2 code should be removed as it isnt compatible or doesnt work in Wayland, whereas GTK3 does

Latest OS X nightly has APZ enabled, and either tonight's or tomorrows should have it enabled on Windows as well.

Edit: Oh yeah, looks like the OS X release is going to move from CoreGraphics for rendering to Skia, since in some workloads Skia is stupidly faster (Like 200x faster)

good to hear, APZ makes a MASSIVE improvement in scrolling on the osx version. I just really hope they fix this soon: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1016035

in that Bug mentioned, gtk2 code should be removed as it isnt compatible or doesnt work in Wayland, whereas GTK3 does

GTK3 helps with Wayland support, but doesn't itself let you render via Wayland. Gecko still relies heavily on X11 for a lot of things (Like all page rendering), and while they're moving away from it, it still takes time (And it might piggyback off the OS X porting work, since they want to use Skia for both platforms, and for fallback on Windows in the future).

good to hear, APZ makes a MASSIVE improvement in scrolling on the osx version. I just really hope they fix this soon: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1016035

I don't mind the lack of gestures, but yeah the smoother scrolling is nice to have. The work on the mobile variant is coming along nicely too, the way the Android version behaves is quite buggy (Funny, because it's the original APZ implementation that was forked for B2G work, which improved it so much that the original version feels broken in comparison)

Audio indicators on tabs has landed

ScreenShot2015-08-01at11.34.27am.png

Tab widths could probably stand to be a bit larger to accommodate it.

hopefully there's a way to Disable that rediculous feature

might be for some that spend there entire time on Youtube type pages, i dont

All it does is tell you what tabs are making sound.. Maybe you don't ever have the issue of auto-playing adverts or videos, but feeling the need to go disable it.. really?

All it does is tell you what tabs are making sound.. Maybe you don't ever have the issue of auto-playing adverts or videos, but feeling the need to go disable it.. really?

i pretty much use ublock origin to block that crap. . i do use websites that auto-play Vids but i thought you could stop that by telling Flash to " Ask To Activate . "  or you could use the Extension "  FlashBlock "

Audio indicators on tabs has landed

ScreenShot2015-08-01at11.34.27am.png

Tab widths could probably stand to be a bit larger to accommodate it.

Well that is straight from Chrome

i pretty much use ublock origin to block that crap. . i do use websites that auto-play Vids but i thought you could stop that by telling Flash to " Ask To Activate . "  or you could use the Extension "  FlashBlock "

some autoplaying ads use html5 nowadays, there is no way to stop those at the moment with extensions.

some autoplaying ads use html5 nowadays, there is no way to stop those at the moment with extensions.

thats true, i didnt think bout that