firefox

4089 replies to this topic

#4081 Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit

Posted Yesterday, 19:05

Firefox 37 Beta 2 out with first TIME 64-BIT... Great to see progress!

Here's a link: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/37.0b2/win64/en-US/Firefox%20Setup%2037.0b2.exe

Going to be using 64-bit Firefox from now on.

#4082 rsnn

rsnn

Neowinian

Posted Yesterday, 19:15

So next stable version 37 will have x64?

#4083 +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nokia C3-00 (8.70 firmware)

Posted Yesterday, 19:20

So next stable version 37 will have x64?

I'll guess probably but I think even if that will not be the case, it will be opening a door for testing 64-bit which will be great.

#4084 rsnn

rsnn

Neowinian

Posted Yesterday, 19:23

I'll guess probably but I think even if that will not be the case, it will be opening a door for testing 64-bit which will be great.

MSE working on youtube and x64, seems like a senior version :D

#4085 Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

Posted Yesterday, 19:28

But keep in mind MSE is still pretty experimental, especially H.264.

#4086 rsnn

rsnn

Neowinian

Posted Yesterday, 19:30

But keep in mind MSE is still pretty experimental, especially H.264.

I've been using MSE on Youtube with Firefox since I uninstalled Flash like 5 or 6 months ago and it works perfectly smooth with no errors. I'm just looking for 60fps, I don't care about 1080 It's fine for me at 720.

#4087 Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

Posted Yesterday, 19:35

I was just pointing out that MSE support in Firefox is still experimental and a work-in-progress. There's bound to be issues here and there that'll be fixed over time. That said, YouTube videos are working fine for me, including 60fps videos.

#4088 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted Today, 01:18

In 36 yes, but they're going to be shipping it in 37 (Along with EME if it doesn't slip), so it's not that experimental any more. WebM support is though, so don't enable that.

The biggest issues blocking 64bit support have been fixed (Stuff like the crash reporter not working, and actual crashes), and after that all that was left was plugin support, but both Flash and Silverlight install 64bit variants now so they're not going to bother with 32bit plugins with a 64bit browser, so it's mainly an issue of working out how to upgrade users (Last thing they want is to automatically upgrade users from the 32bit to 64bit release, and break all their plugins and binary addons)

#4089 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted Today, 02:45

In 36 yes, but they're going to be shipping it in 37 (Along with EME if it doesn't slip), so it's not that experimental any more. WebM support is though, so don't enable that.

The biggest issues blocking 64bit support have been fixed (Stuff like the crash reporter not working, and actual crashes), and after that all that was left was plugin support, but both Flash and Silverlight install 64bit variants now so they're not going to bother with 32bit plugins with a 64bit browser, so it's mainly an issue of working out how to upgrade users (Last thing they want is to automatically upgrade users from the 32bit to 64bit release, and break all their plugins and binary addons)

I have been using a 3rd party 64-bit for a long time without any problems.

Best idea would be to check if user only has whitelisted 64-bit compatible add-ons / plugins and then upgrade those uses by default.

EDIT: And I am fairly certain that ABP / ABE slows Firefox down considerably...

#4090 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted Today, 04:32

Yeah, problem with those 64bit community builds is that they worked "well enough" that people didn't report problems, but then when Mozilla went to run their tests (Which test nearly every part of the codebase, that's the point) they'd often fail and crash. One of the last things blocking an official 64bit build was actually a problem with the way the JS engine interacted with the crash reporter, so that under certain circumstances it could crash in such a way that the crash reporter would produce a broken crash report, their tests caught it, yet it basically never happened under normal web browsing.

It's similar to those old edited builds of XP people used to slim down the install size, they'd work perfectly fine until they tried to print, then they found out the print spooler had been ripped out to save space (We often had threads about that)

Edit: And that's ignoring the random preferences that community builds flip, like Waterfox 35 enabling support for MSE for MP4 and WebM.