Meet the browser: Firefox Next

Stop double posting.

when your not a paid subscriber you cant EDIT your previous post, you can but it omnly allows you 5 or 10minutes to edit that previous post so if you post again after that time it'll go as a New " double Post "

So they still don't get that they can load other tabs on the other 3+ CPU Cores peoples have these days? -.-

The issue is not just CPU load, it's net bandwidth load.

The issue is not just CPU load, it's net bandwidth load.

Which is the same whether a person opens 8 tabs at once or 8 tabs one by one.

Firefox is the only major browser where one page can bring down your whole browsing experience to a halt..

Which [net bandwidth load] is the same whether a person opens 8 tabs at once or 8 tabs one by one.

No it isn't? One is a parallel operation, one is a series operation.

Trying to load 8 tabs at the same time roughly means eight times the immediate load, compared to opening one after another which would stagger the load. Most people do not have net connections with enough bandwidth to open 8 tabs at the same time without hitting any limits (download speed, number of connections).

No it isn't? One is a parallel operation, one is a series operation.

Trying to load 8 tabs at the same time roughly means eight times the immediate load, compared to opening one after another which would stagger the load. Most people do not have net connections with enough bandwidth to open 8 tabs at the same time without hitting any limits (download speed, number of connections).

User choice. It [loading one tab at a time] is not a browser "feature" because it is just a limitation, a middle finger to the user.

If I want to open many tabs at once - I want them open in parallel, without one tab interfering with the performance of any other.

It is a modern browser requirement - full rendering offload to GPU and multithreading / multiprocess tab implementation with the interface running in the main process / thread.

User choice. It [loading one tab at a time] is not a browser "feature" because it is just a limitation, a middle finger to the user.

If I want to open many tabs at once - I want them open in parallel, without one tab interfering with the performance of any other.

It is a modern browser requirement - full rendering offload to GPU and multithreading / multiprocess tab implementation with the interface running in the main process / thread.

Firefox has put the multi-process (electrolysis) project on indefinite hold, but they are definitely working on moving things off the main thread as part of the "super snappy" project: https://bugzilla.moz...g.cgi?id=718121

You don't need a multiprocess model to achieve this.

Firefox is already fairly responsive for me, it only hitches occasionally when under heavy load, and not for very long, its already improved to be much better than it used to be in this area, and more big improvements are yet to come. Chrome is definitelty more responsive at the moment, but I definitely wouldn't consider firefox unusable at the moment.

Btw, there is an option about this: Options, Tabs section, untick 'Don't load tabs until selected'.

Firefox has put the multi-process (electrolysis) project on indefinite hold, but they are definitely working on moving things off the main thread as part of the "super snappy" project: https://bugzilla.moz...g.cgi?id=718121

You don't need a multiprocess model to achieve this.

Firefox is already fairly responsive for me, it only hitches occasionally when under heavy load, and not for very long, its already improved to be much better than it used to be in this area, and more big improvements are yet to come. Chrome is definitelty more responsive at the moment, but I definitely wouldn't consider firefox unusable at the moment.

Its exact opposite, Super Snappy is on hold to work on other things like e.g. LazyBytecode.

While Electrolysis is back on track but obviously slow progress because they are working on Off the Main thread Animation and Compositing and Boot 2 Gecko get in pretty shape.

Looks like Limi quit at Mozilla, http://www.twitter.c...996638764445696

He responded with "@limi: @xstanzx You never really leave Mozilla. ;)" though.

Good move but greatest move will be when Stephen Horlander will be fired for making ugly chromification mockup resulting in userbase loss...

Good move but greatest move will be when Stephen Horlander will be fired for making ugly chromification mockup resulting in userbase loss...

my problem isnt Horelaander, its that other twit , though its always good to have a cleanout i think some of the developers at Mozilla are UP themselves. but lets face it. the Desktop Browser is slowly Dying. more an more people use there phones or other small devices to Browse now,, if it wasnt for Google. Mozilla would still be stuck in the Dark Ages, just look at there Projects, Electrolysis will Die again. Mozilla has been losing Market share when it comes to Browsers an thats a fact. sad to say it but, Mozilla will eventually end up like Netscape, DEAD

User Base of Mozilla has been declining way before Australis came onboardd. people just want a plain Browser without the BLOAT an thats what Firefox has been getting lately.

1) Tab Candy = Bloat

my problem isnt Horelaander, its that other twit , though its always good to have a cleanout i think some of the developers at Mozilla are UP themselves. but lets face it. the Desktop Browser is slowly Dying. more an more people use there phones or other small devices to Browse now,, if it wasnt for Google. Mozilla would still be stuck in the Dark Ages, just look at there Projects, Electrolysis will Die again. Mozilla has been losing Market share when it comes to Browsers an thats a fact. sad to say it but, Mozilla will eventually end up like Netscape, DEAD

User Base of Mozilla has been declining way before Australis came onboardd. people just want a plain Browser without the BLOAT an thats what Firefox has been getting lately.

1) Tab Candy = Bloat

My actual with that guy is that how could he comprehend themselves that it is good UI + adding salt to our wounds, they said we should go with this.. Really ****.. From my side Firefox can go to hell if they implement Australis UI, I now use Chromium more than this and I will switch to Opera 15 if looks some better and appropriate in its current form, it is quite garbage.

My only wish is that I had Safari to choice from in this time. Pure Webkit2 experience, no memory hog because rather than multi-process per tab, in it we get multi-process chrome thread for each tab. Means site content of all tabs remain in single process, so it does save memory.

All in all, I agree with you that Firefox is dying but their desperate efforts are quite good like Firefox CSS3 support is higher than Chromium 29.

My actual with that guy is that how could he comprehend themselves that it is good UI + adding salt to our wounds, they said we should go with this.. Really ****.. From my side Firefox can go to hell if they implement Australis UI, I now use Chromium more than this and I will switch to Opera 15 if looks some better and appropriate in its current form, it is quite garbage.

My only wish is that I had Safari to choice from in this time. Pure Webkit2 experience, no memory hog because rather than multi-process per tab, in it we get multi-process chrome thread for each tab. Means site content of all tabs remain in single process, so it does save memory.

All in all, I agree with you that Firefox is dying but their desperate efforts are quite good like Firefox CSS3 support is higher than Chromium 29.

You are being pretty ridiculous IMO.

Aside from the panel customization redesign (which I have no opinion on until I use it myself), the australis redesign really isn't even a huge change, and I certainly don't think its a chrome rip off.

When it comes down to the visuals, really all they are doing is: Moving the menu from the left to the right. Changing the tab strip style (which is easily reversable with themes/usercss). And the tab strip style does NOT look like a chrome ripoff just because it uses a curve in its design. And people keep saying the "tabs" are curved which isn't even true. Only the active *TAB* is curved, all of the other tabs are MORE SQUARED THAN THEY ARE IN THE CURRENT THEME. they are rectanguler and blend into the tab strip background. the new design does not waste space compared to the old design, and it looks significantly different than chrome's tab strip.

Lets compare chrome and firefox's tab strip designs:

Chrome: Every tab has a slightly curved design, obviously designed to emulate the look of the tabs of a manilla folder: http://s7d5.scene7.c...752_sc7?splssku$

I hesitate to even call chrome's tabs truly curved.

Firefox Current: Rectangular tabs, very slightly curved on the corners. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the current tabs, their very 'non-flat' look doesn't look so great with the trend towards flatter UI's (such as windows 8).

Firefox australis: All inactive tabs are now completely flat/rectangle and blend into the tab strip background. This is much more elegant than the current tab strip IMO, and should be even more efficient with space. The active tab has a very stylized curve to it, obviously a branding related thing to make firefox stand out a bit. IMO its absurd how people are over-reacting this much to the active tab having a curve to it, as if it suddenly makes firefox into a chrome clone.

You are being pretty ridiculous IMO.

Aside from the panel customization redesign (which I have no opinion on until I use it myself), the australis redesign really isn't even a huge change, and I certainly don't think its a chrome rip off.

When it comes down to the visuals, really all they are doing is: Moving the menu from the left to the right. Changing the tab strip style (which is easily reversable with themes/usercss). And the tab strip style does NOT look like a chrome ripoff just because it uses a curve in its design. And people keep saying the "tabs" are curved which isn't even true. Only the active *TAB* is curved, all of the other tabs are MORE SQUARED THAN THEY ARE IN THE CURRENT THEME. they are rectanguler and blend into the tab strip background. the new design does not waste space compared to the old design, and it looks significantly different than chrome's tab strip.

Lets compare chrome and firefox's tab strip designs:

Chrome: Every tab has a slightly curved design, obviously designed to emulate the look of the tabs of a manilla folder: http://s7d5.scene7.c...752_sc7?splssku$

I hesitate to even call chrome's tabs truly curved.

Firefox Current: Rectangular tabs, very slightly curved on the corners. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the current tabs, their very 'non-flat' look doesn't look so great with the trend towards flatter UI's (such as windows 8).

Firefox australis: All inactive tabs are now completely flat/rectangle and blend into the tab strip background. This is much more elegant than the current tab strip IMO, and should be even more efficient with space. The active tab has a very stylized curve to it, obviously a branding related thing to make firefox stand out a bit. IMO its absurd how people are over-reacting this much to the active tab having a curve to it, as if it suddenly makes firefox into a chrome clone.

I does not matter how you justify it and how not. Some people have their own taste and choices, you can't impose your thoughts on them exactly what I comment here are my own personal opinions except somewhere I like to add valuable comment to enhance knowledge sharing.

Other than that with Australis Firefox will lost me since I don't know how many numbers of extensions I have to install to bring back old functionality.

Mozilla has been losing Market share when it comes to Browsers an thats a fact. sad to say it but, Mozilla will eventually end up like Netscape, DEAD

Market share has been pretty stable over the last 2 years...

Screenshot-on-2013-06-13-at-23.51.37.png

Is there any possible way to get Unload Tab working consistently with UX Nightly 24? Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. I'm guessing it's not fully compatible. It seems to work fine until I update other extensions, which is strange because even after disabling extensions or going back to older versions, it still won't work. It was working fine tonight until I updated FireGestures, but going back to the older version did not fix it. Mozilla just needs to add UnloadTab by default. It's an essential extension.

Anyone else using the latest nightly build unable to load Google images. By this I mean I can search Google images just fine, but once I click on an image to view it, it does nothing. I've restarted with add-ons disabled (safe mode) which doesn't help.

Also, I have IE10 installed which loads google images just fine.

Anyone else using the latest nightly build unable to load Google images. By this I mean I can search Google images just fine, but once I click on an image to view it, it does nothing. I've restarted with add-ons disabled (safe mode) which doesn't help.

Also, I have IE10 installed which loads google images just fine.

maybe try a New profile dude? im using the Latest UX an all works fine

I'm getting issues with clicks on Google doing nothing, might be an issue with whatever JS they're using to hook clicks.

Its actually Lazy ByteCode side effect and it is already fixed in upcoming mozilla-central, you have to wait till today's Nightly.