T.E.C. 3001 - Check out our game in develompent for xbox..

Hey guys,

Me and my friends are working on our new game which will be released on Xbox Live Indie Games next month.

It is called T.E.C. 3001 (Tesla Energy Collector) and it is third person, 3D action arcade game. You are guiding a robot through virtual space to collect energy for human kind. It will have 20 levels with many different obstacles. It's easy to learn but hard to master, especially on latter levels where robot runs with great speed.

Check out our gameplay video from the unfinished version and we will soon update topic with new videos

Tell us what you think if you like.

follow us on webpage

http://www.phoenixgs.net

and facebook

http://www.facebook.com/PhoenixGameStudio

Looks pretty neat. Reminds me of a mix of Audiosurf and a DOS-based game that I used to play years ago (can't remember the name for the life of me -- it was a lot like this, only you had a little space car instead of a guy).

Thx for the feedback.

We will send it for peer review in May, so we expect it to be available for purchase at the end of May.

Price will probably be 1$ (or 80 points on Live service) but it also depends on the reviewers who may give it larger price.

We will upload a new video these days with sounds and some interesting levels.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably going to get kicked in the shins for this, but I'd easily pay 200 MS points for this without thinking about it. Of course, being newer game devs, I can easily see why you guys would want to charge a $1. The only thing you guys have to think of is if you price your game too low, people will value your games at a certain price point, making it somewhat hard to price future games much higher (i.e. 800 MS points in the future). Now, say for example you priced it at 200 MS points as a baseline RRP, and then cut it down to 80 MSP on a deal, people would value your game more then if it was always 80 MSP.

Either way, I hope your game does well! It looks good! I'll end up snapping it up at launch (I'm following you guys on Facebook now). I really loved the part in that trailer where the robot was going over 5000 speed, every little tight gap I was going "Oh ****! Oh ****!" :laugh: I think it might be wise tweaking that robot animation though - I don't know if it's just me but it looks a little odd. But yeah, either way, loving it (Y)

I'm probably going to get kicked in the shins for this, but I'd easily pay 200 MS points for this without thinking about it. Of course, being newer game devs, I can easily see why you guys would want to charge a $1. The only thing you guys have to think of is if you price your game too low, people will value your games at a certain price point, making it somewhat hard to price future games much higher (i.e. 800 MS points in the future). Now, say for example you priced it at 200 MS points as a baseline RRP, and then cut it down to 80 MSP on a deal, people would value your game more then if it was always 80 MSP.

Either way, I hope your game does well! It looks good! I'll end up snapping it up at launch (I'm following you guys on Facebook now). I really loved the part in that trailer where the robot was going over 5000 speed, every little tight gap I was going "Oh ****! Oh ****!" :laugh: I think it might be wise tweaking that robot animation though - I don't know if it's just me but it looks a little odd. But yeah, either way, loving it (Y)

My thoughts exactly. Tho Id maybe also have the orange areas/bg change every once in a while maybe on new level or something jus to brighten it up and give clear definition to new levels. Id probs get visually bored after a few levels. Tho gameplay looks solid :)

@Colicab

Game will have an option to change visuals. We have near 10 themes you can choose from the menu. Themes change HUD and some of the objects in levels. For example, those orange lines can be blue, green or pink (girly :D). We will show that in next trailer along with sounds and music.

@Unrealistic

Yes it's analog button, A is for jump, right trigger is for charge and B is for slide under object. We wanted to keep it simple to learn.

@The Teej

Thx for advice. You are right, we aren't sure about price because we are new developers. We though that if we give it 1$, there wont be a person who wouldn't wanna pay for it :D.

Also we think its wrong to measure game price by the size in MB, like it is done in XBOX Live Indie. This game is gonna be about 40 MB so the price, according to that, is somewhere about 4$.

Price should be measured by how good the game is.

As for speed is concerned, it is gradually increasing as you go through the game. Everybody likes the latter levels where you go at high speeds, but we thought it would get boring if speed is very high from the first level. Also, it would be hard to learn at great speed.

It's not really an action game. It's more of a platformer. It looks really bland and boring. Doesn't looks like it will have a long shelf life either. If the robot always runs at a constant speed, then there is no chance for leaderboards, speedruns, or any other type of competition that will keep people playing. A good effort, but I wouldn't play it.

Looks pretty neat. Reminds me of a mix of Audiosurf and a DOS-based game that I used to play years ago (can't remember the name for the life of me -- it was a lot like this, only you had a little space car instead of a guy).

I believe you're thinking of this: Skyroads. I remember playing that game too. :cool:

It's not running at constant speed. There will be ranks at the end of level based on time you needed to get to the end, broken objects, collected batteries (energy)...

Laderboards are not available on XBOX indie games, so it wouldn't make any difference.

@The Teej

Thx for advice. You are right, we aren't sure about price because we are new developers. We though that if we give it 1$, there wont be a person who wouldn't wanna pay for it :D.

Also we think its wrong to measure game price by the size in MB, like it is done in XBOX Live Indie. This game is gonna be about 40 MB so the price, according to that, is somewhere about 4$.

Price should be measured by how good the game is.

As for speed is concerned, it is gradually increasing as you go through the game. Everybody likes the latter levels where you go at high speeds, but we thought it would get boring if speed is very high from the first level. Also, it would be hard to learn at great speed.

Oh yeah, basing it on MB is silly. I was talking more about the quality of the game, and also the assumed quality of the game. If I saw a game for $2, and saw a game for $10, while I'd look at the $2 game first, I'd make a good assumption that the game is only worth $2 and wouldn't want to pay more then that. Where as if I saw that same game for $10, I'd look at that game and go "oooh, nice", and while I may not buy that game straight away, as soon as there's a deal on (say, $5) I'd be all over it like a fly on a barbeque because I feel that I'm getting a good deal as I'm paying $5 for a game that's usually worth $10. Not that I'm saying you should be pricing your game at $10 (that would probably be suicide to be honest with you), but I hope you get my idea.

It's not really an action game. It's more of a platformer. It looks really bland and boring. Doesn't looks like it will have a long shelf life either. If the robot always runs at a constant speed, then there is no chance for leaderboards, speedruns, or any other type of competition that will keep people playing. A good effort, but I wouldn't play it.

I believe you're thinking of this: Skyroads. I remember playing that game too. :cool:

The game almost certainly seems like it's still in beta, where the polish usually goes. While it's already kind of been answered, there's a small part in that video where the player actively chooses not to get a speed boost, and this allows him to go round corners easier (albeit slower), but there was another point where he went at a super fast speed but then crashed into a pillar and died. Also, I have a very funny feeling the video makes the game look easy, and definitely looks like the player has done that level many times before. I'd say there will be room for speed running, as there will be room for strategic use of those timed boosters and the speed boosters on the floor.

The game almost certainly seems like it's still in beta, where the polish usually goes. While it's already kind of been answered, there's a small part in that video where the player actively chooses not to get a speed boost, and this allows him to go round corners easier (albeit slower), but there was another point where he went at a super fast speed but then crashed into a pillar and died. Also, I have a very funny feeling the video makes the game look easy, and definitely looks like the player has done that level many times before. I'd say there will be room for speed running, as there will be room for strategic use of those timed boosters and the speed boosters on the floor.

Exactly. You will be forced not to use speed-up object because you wont be able to turn in the corner. Also, in some situations you must use them to be able to jump over a gap, for example. And yes, the video clip makes game look easy. In many levels you must fail at first, several times, in order to learn how to reach to the end. But levels are maximum 2 minutes long if you don't make any mistakes.

• 3 weeks later...

We uploaded new clip showing some of the gameplay with sounds and theme switching. Check it here

Soon, clip showing ranks and a few more levels.

Support us if you like how the game looks.

Perhaps you could change each theme's title for something more enigmatic or intellectual? It could help set the game's mood.

I think I saw a couple there that I had no idea what they meant at first glance, which is good.

For example, I think that the "WTF?" title is silly.

Just a suggestion.

Hope it does well in the Marketplace! :)

hmm for some reason that black and gold colour scheme you had there made me think that this was a Duracell commercial or something

what do the lit and unlit strips on the road mean? and im glad that you implemented the camera lowering when you do the slide move, it looked needed from the first video

also, about the colour schemes... what if you can have gameplay events which shift the colour scheme around? like collecting certain patterns of goodies on the level would cause the colour to change to something else, or cause colours outside the colour scheme to appear

another thing i think could be cool is to have colourful glowy lights on your character, which leave streaks and trails and stuff... all that white and black colour on it is just waiting for some colour to be added, this will accentuate the movement of the running, and it would show what powerups are in effect

actually , does this game have powerups at all?

@Vince Malum Bono

We played a little with theme names. For example, for WTF theme colors we couldn't figure exactly which color is it, so we joked and call it WTF :)

@carmatic

lit and unlit strips are just some design detail we inserted. But if you are talking about green and red arrow-strips, those are for speeding up / slowing down the robot.

As for the colors idea, we had in mind something similar - to control the colors of the environment, and in that way, turn on or off some special abilities based on color. But those thoughts are for second part of the game, if this one goes well. Also there are no powerups or experience but there will be ranks at the level end, based on time needed to pass the level, collected batteries and broken objects.

thx for suggestions!

For example, who do we need to contact to get the story on Neowin front page? I mean, is there any official mail for that or person?