Photo

Bigelow Aerospace updates (BA-330 launch video)

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,594 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 15:39

They don't, other than blaming previous administrators, Congress/s, presidents etc. etc. etc. going back 40+ years.

Fact is a lot of things contributed including not being willing to try the new - especially if it meant a congressman/senator's district losing an existing contract. This is why Congress is demanding a Shuttle-derived heavy launcher instead of opening it up to competition - ATK (the makers of the shuttle's solids), the NASA centers that would be involved and such are in the districts of very influential representatives. Some of it was just bad decision making.

#17 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:10

but surely if we see it so can they...this clearly means the betterment of the human race is not the top priority here.

#18 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,594 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 19:43

Many of those involved don't care about the betterment of mankind etc., they just care about keeping federal money in their districts - and it's a bipartisan problem.

#19 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 13:07

this is the truth i always try to lie to myself about, thanks for reminding me of the reality of things. progress is at the mercy of idiots and short sighted con artists. i really hope this will change soon. i hope it will be realized by all that there's endless wealth to be made from space exploration, and then greed will take us forward. i know, sounds evil, but then it took just that to get humans to pretty much do anything of any material value ever since we left the African veldt all those many millennia ago...

#20 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,594 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 18:06

ISDC = International Space Development Conference at the Von Braun Center in Huntsville, Alabama (near a NASA center)

These are the slides from their presentation -

http://images.spacer...sdc.bigelow.pdf

Their new 180,000 sq/ft factory is almost finished, and they've reduced the launch mass og the huge BA-2100, now known as Olympus, to 65 metric tons from the originally quoted 100 metric tons. This puts it wjthin the margins of a Falcon Heavy with a Raptor (hydrogen) 2nd stage or NASA's proposed SLS system.

Also interesting is their concept for NASA's Plymouth Rock asteroid mission; a BA-330 as the hab, a crew return vehicle and one of their big hub/propulsion modules for a crew of 4. Nice....

#21 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 14:50

these are all very interesting, i can't wait. an asteroid mission would be awesome.

#22 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,594 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 00:00

Bigelow Aerospace space station factory update June 6, 2011

180,000 sq/ft just outside of Las Vegas for the construction of BA-Sundancer, BA-330, BA-Olympus, docking nodes, 2 sizes of propulsion buses, and the integration of life support, maneuvering, avionics and other subsystems. First launch manifested is for a BA-Sundancer in 2014 atop a SpaceX Falcon 9.

Current ->> new construction, which is a full 700' long
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 16:11

nice photos Doc, thanks for posting. i fully expect these huge halls of human industrial science to be teeming with space-readiness in short order. that is all.

#24 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,594 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 19:37

Here's another number for you; this 180,000 sq ft exapasion will take their total up to 370,000 sq ft

This includes offices, R&D, factory space, testing, vehicle integration and a large mission control center, which they had to build early because of having 2 Genesis modules already in orbit as testbeds. Yup, like SpaceX they're already flying.

Mission Control
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:28

how can i help? is there any mechandise i can buy? i want to support these people, they're helping build our future.

#26 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,594 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:09

I'm not aware of any merchandise, they seem focussed on flying, and BA is a privately held company so there's no stock.

#27 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 13:31

yeah it was half said in jest...however it would be nice to lend a helping hand in some way!

#28 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,594 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 19:23

http://www.bigelowae...e.com/index.php

Bigelow Aerospace Expediting BA 330 Development

Due to customer demand and progress in commercial crew transportation, Bigelow Aerospace has moved directly to BA 330 development. As the name indicates, the BA 330 will provide roughly 330 cubic meters of usable volume and can support a crew of up to six. The BA 330 can function as an independent space station, or several BA 330s can be combined to support an even larger orbital complex. "It's extremely exciting to proceed with the actual construction of BA 330s," said Robert T. Bigelow, President and founder of Bigelow Aerospace, "This robust habitat will serve as the backbone for a new, dynamic era of commercial human spaceflight. The BA 330 will support a wide variety of utilization and exploration missions both in Low Earth Orbit and beyond. "

#29 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,594 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 23:54

Also: the 180 cu/m Sundancer has disappeared from their evolution - so they're going straight to the BA-330. This might mean there's now an open line for something bigger :)

#30 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 13:30

the bigger the better...but where is this cutomer demand coming from? does he mean NASA or other space agencies?