So we passed 10 Million forum posts!

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#1 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 31,250 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:11

Our board has surpassed 10 Million in under ten years, thats an amazing feat and pretty much averages to 1M a year since July 2001, which is when the current board database started.

In that time we've lost quite a few posts, the famous downtime of 2003 which resulted in about 3 months of data being wiped from our news and forum database (which we never got back). And rogue members who previously had full control over their topics went about deleting them or removing the content of the first post, not to mention our spammer friends, who probably account for 10% of removed posts over the last decade (which are not counted toward the 10M).

Any posts that become unapproved, are not counted to the current number of posts.

This is why the anti-climatic jump to 10M didn't go smoothly, because with little over couple 100 posts to go, a topic that contained 4k of posts was cleaned and reapproved.

Since then other topics have seen the same treatment (either hidden for cleaning or reapproved).

If you joined in 2001 and still active:

Anyway, from myself and the staff I would like to thank everyone for making this target possible; and offer any member that is still active from 2001 a free Tier 2 account.

All you have to do is either reply here, or PM me to set you up, if I miss your post, do PM me so you don't miss out!

If you joined after 2001 and still active:

In about a week, I'll be looking at this thread and randomly selecting 10 members from a join date after 2001 (so 2002 - 2011) for a free Tier2 as well, the only requirement will be:

1) Tell us why you joined Neowin;
2) And what kept you here as an active user of the site.

Thanks, and lets hope we can talk about this again in ten years time (with hopefully 20 Million posts, or more). (Y)

I'm a bit late, but I selected 14 additional Tier 2 subs to give away, that's the number of pages in this topic.

CoLdFuSi0n
Shaun.
Singh400
LaraBoft
Ferson
Draconian Guppy
obiwankenobi
Routerbad
AJerman
vip
ConfusedFusion
liju
Rudnartim
Raze

Also added another 01'er.

This concludes our giveaway for active 01'ers and 14 Tier 2's to members without a current subscription.

If you didn't win, there's plenty more chances, as we giveaway subs all the time, just ask the current ones!

#2 Vice

Vice

Bye!

• 15,877 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:13

Congratulations! :)

#3 Fubar

Fubar

Sir-Farge-Boffle-Nerf

• 1,325 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:13

Congrats..
I joined Neowin for the xp stuff way back when :) I'm still here because of the community :)

#4 CoLdFuSi0n

CoLdFuSi0n

Pimpin Around Neowin

• 4,295 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:15

Who was the 10 mill poster?

#5 vetenigma-penguin

enigma-penguin

Neowin Prodigal Son

• 6,684 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:15

Good luck to those who enter and congrats on finally passing that milestone :D

#6 Carbon Fiber

Carbon Fiber

Neowinian Senior

• 1,610 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:16

interesting articles, nice commmunity, great helpful members

still interesting articles, still nice community, still great helpful members :p

#7 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• 3,986 posts
  • Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:19

nice one people, joined cause a mate of mine showed me this site, stayed well the people are good, the rules you get used too and the help is the greatest!!

#8 CoLdFuSi0n

CoLdFuSi0n

Pimpin Around Neowin

• 4,295 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:22

If I remember someone posted this site in a dalnet irc channel ( back when it was a good network ) and well been here ever since for something to read at nights when I'm bored at work.

#9 Fid

Fid

Do I know you?

• 735 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:24

Congrats! Here's to the next 10 mil!

I can't remember...! :p

News articles, many of the help forums, gaming forums... all an interesting read! :)

#10 +-T-

-T-

Trapmaster

• 2,629 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:25

I've been active since 2001, but I'm happily paying for my tier 2. I don't post anywhere near enough to merit a freebie though.

Here's to the next 10 years

#11 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• 8,383 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:28

I joined because I was a lurker for a long time and wanted to contribute - admittedly it didn't begin well, my first impressions weren't that great but I gave it another go and I was more than happy. :laugh:

I'm quite happy to pay for my subscription, it's not much. Congrats on the milestone!

#12 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,756 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:29

1) Tell us why you joined Neowin

I seem to remember that a friend of mine was browsing the main page one day. I decided to sign up and take a look around the forums.

2) What kept you here as an active user of the site.

The community. If I have a question about something tech-related, I can come here and ask for clarification. At the same time, I try to offer advice where I can. It might not always be what people want to hear, but at the end of the day it's another opinion that the user can read and use to make their decision. Also, the place keeps me entertained during my work hours. :p

#13 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• 8,831 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:29

Who was the 10 mill poster?

Yeah I would like to know that one too!

#14 MarkusDarkus

MarkusDarkus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,511 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:32

1) Because I had been lurking around for a number of years thanks to Google and could keep quiet for any longer.

2) Receiving and giving help and support to members, Endless hilarious meme images. Oh and Rappy :p

PS. Since I'm already tier 2 If this post is picked give it to the person 7 posts ahead of me. :)

#15 Aaron Olive

Aaron Olive

2011 27" iMac

• 1,450 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6 Plus Space Gray

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:37

Yeah I would like to know that one too!

Indeed :blink: