So we passed 10 Million forum posts!

In the last 10 years, only 2 or 3 days haven't I visit Neowin... :p

My girlfriend who isn't tech savy, now knows what Neowin is, from so much reloading the neowin site... ;)

Hell, even when on holidays, on country's where I could only have a connection of 3KB/s I visited Neowin, and had people screaming "get out of the only computer on the hotel with Internet"...

This is an amazing community and I really really hope we can have topics like this for 20, 30 .... 100 millions posts :D

Nice one (Y)

Also to everyone who joined after 2001 we appreciate what you do for us, so we'll be throwing a few Tier 2 accounts that way too :)

Congrats :D

Do I get an extra year added on to my current sub or is it just for people who don't have it already?

Extended.

I first joined back when this site started, then forgot my password and couldn't get back in... changed ISP's lost my ISP email (yeah i know stupid, I have a custom domain forwarder now)... and complex passwords not always the easiest to remember when you take a break from it for a month.... :laugh: had to get a new account...

I seem to remember someone using the site in a presentation when I was at uni. This got me interested so I decided to sign up and the gaming discussion keeps me coming back.

I'm still active and just had my subscription expire. :D

Lucky you :p (Y)

8 handed out so far! plus 2 extensions.

I lurked for a while following the XP-era and then joined in late 2005. Still here and actively posting.

Great community, pretty hot on the news (despite what the haters may say) and I look forward to being here for many more years

10.000.000!! That's a lot! :blink:

Shoot, I joined in '02.....

Why I joined? I stumbled upon this forum by accident and never left... I joined primarily for posting to the questions...

Why I still am a member? I think that Neowin has the best and most forums for everyone.... it's still my homepage after 9 years....

Reaching 10,000,000 is quite a feat, so congratulations to everyone who made it possible. I joined the site because I wanted to learn more about technology. I'll admit I then disappeared for ages, and only returned recently. So far, Neowin is the largest forum I tend to post semi-regularly on. One of the main appeals to me about Neowin is how the site is so radically different in its design to other IP.Board forums I frequent.

I joined in August 2003 after 2 years of lurking - yes, since 2001.

I joined because I wanted to learn more about MS Betas and other technology.

Congrats Neowin,

I joined in 2002 for all things XP and am eventually hoping to be Neowins greatest Lurker, this post may have blew my chances though. :laugh:

Have not been around as long as many others however, I have been here for over 5 years at this point. Came to the site because I kept coming here for help when fixing stuff and decided to stick around. Stayed here on the forums because i love the community and Now i find I spend 90% or more of my time on the internet here at Neowin and I feel like it is my second home :p

Congratulations!

I can't remember why I joined, I think it was because of a news article on the front page.

I've remained with the community because of the awesome front page news and the great community :D

I actually never remember my join date, so I have to post to see it! :laugh:

My Neowin page is always open, I guess Neowin has changed lots since I joined and I would like to see a few things change but this is the site I visit everyday! 10 000 000 posts is plenty to say the least! Well done Neowin!

I joined originally to get some computer hardware info and share some knowledge but stayed around because of the diverse topics covered by the user base, like media, photography and gaming.

A friend pointed me to NeoWin and Anandtech way back when in 2003/2004 when I was just getting into computer repairs and information.

Never left.

I didn't start actively posting as much until more recently, I would generally read the front page news and occasional forum posts, commenting very seldom, but now I have come out of my shell, and started posting more. :)

What has kept me here is familiar terrority, easy site navigation, general good reads and good information and posts.

The community keeps it a good place to be, and for that I am thankful.

Our board has surpassed 10 Million in under ten years, thats an amazing feat and pretty much averages to 1M a year since July 2001, which is when the current board database started.

In that time we've lost quite a few posts, the famous downtime of 2003 which resulted in about 3 months of data being wiped from our news and forum database (which we never got back). And rogue members who previously had full control over their topics went about deleting them or removing the content of the first post, not to mention our spammer friends, who probably account for 10% of removed posts over the last decade (which are not counted toward the 10M).

Any posts that become unapproved, are not counted to the current number of posts.

This is why the anti-climatic jump to 10M didn't go smoothly, because with little over couple 100 posts to go, a topic that contained 4k of posts was cleaned and reapproved.

Since then other topics have seen the same treatment (either hidden for cleaning or reapproved).

If you joined in 2001 and still active:

Well I've been here through thick and thin, I don't post a lot but rest assured I'm here each and ever day, several times a day at work and home. Doesn't seem like ten years have passed. Thank you for the tier 2.

Cody

Anyway, from myself and the staff I would like to thank everyone for making this target possible; and offer any member that is still active from 2001 a free Tier 2 account.

All you have to do is either reply here, or PM me to set you up, if I miss your post, do PM me so you don't miss out!

If you joined after 2001 and still active:

In about a week, I'll be looking at this thread and randomly selecting 10 members from a join date after 2001 (so 2002 - 2011) for a free Tier2 as well, the only requirement will be:

1) Tell us why you joined Neowin;

2) And what kept you here as an active user of the site.

Thanks, and lets hope we can talk about this again in ten years time (with hopefully 20 Million posts, or more). (Y)

Our board has surpassed 10 Million in under ten years, thats an amazing feat and pretty much averages to 1M a year since July 2001, which is when the current board database started.

In that time we've lost quite a few posts, the famous downtime of 2003 which resulted in about 3 months of data being wiped from our news and forum database (which we never got back). And rogue members who previously had full control over their topics went about deleting them or removing the content of the first post, not to mention our spammer friends, who probably account for 10% of removed posts over the last decade (which are not counted toward the 10M).

Any posts that become unapproved, are not counted to the current number of posts.

This is why the anti-climatic jump to 10M didn't go smoothly, because with little over couple 100 posts to go, a topic that contained 4k of posts was cleaned and reapproved.

Since then other topics have seen the same treatment (either hidden for cleaning or reapproved).

If you joined in 2001 and still active:

Anyway, from myself and the staff I would like to thank everyone for making this target possible; and offer any member that is still active from 2001 a free Tier 2 account.

All you have to do is either reply here, or PM me to set you up, if I miss your post, do PM me so you don't miss out!

If you joined after 2001 and still active:

In about a week, I'll be looking at this thread and randomly selecting 10 members from a join date after 2001 (so 2002 - 2011) for a free Tier2 as well, the only requirement will be:

1) Tell us why you joined Neowin;

2) And what kept you here as an active user of the site.

Thanks, and lets hope we can talk about this again in ten years time (with hopefully 20 Million posts, or more). (Y)

Awesome!! Congrats! I know there were a lot of folks actively working towards this goal :D and I really like that spam/useless posts didn't count. We don't JUST have ten million posts, we have ten million quality posts!

I joined Neowin because I found the forum a long time ago and had gotten helpful information from it quite a few times, but never signed up with an account. Fast forward a few years, and I found out the guy I was trying to impress at work (haha) was an active member on here, so I created an account and began posting myself. The rest is history :D (well, on here--nothing ever became of him, but my relationship with Neowin is far more satisfying).

I'm still here because it's still relevant, helpful, and usually a lot of fun! Plus, I don't think I've ever been on a more well-laid-out tech forum. Always easy to find what I need here, and I like that I can find tech news and information, real world news, sports stuff, video game information, AND humour all in one place!

Somehow searching for news about Unreal Tournament ended here. Was a great stay since them. Now I feel I little old thinking how fast the times past.

Thanks for the space and congrats for the 10 million posts! :alien: