Crytek wants PS4/Xbox 720 to have 8GB of RAM

Everyone should also remember that the next-gen consoles will probably have more things running in the background.

People demands more "extras" from their consoles so the next-gen may be more PC-like in the sense that they will have more applications running in the background as you play your game.

I think people are missing facts here, The Xbox360 is the only console to sport 512MB system ram, Playstation only sports 256MB, and the Wii a monsterous 88mb total system ram. Its time for an upgrade.

Everyone should also remember that the next-gen consoles will probably have more things running in the background.

People demands more "extras" from their consoles so the next-gen may be more PC-like in the sense that they will have more applications running in the background as you play your game.

True. I could see the next consoles acting sort of like our new TV's and other devices, regularly syncing in with social media sights and many other things. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the next consoles even had a pc side to them to try and cash in on some of the PC success Valve and Blizzard are having.

8 GB of RAM seems reasonable. It's likely that the next generation of consoles will be used more like PCs. Personally though, I think Microsoft and Sony would want to invest in better hardware so that their upcoming consoles could have a longer life cycle. The current consoles are approaching the end of their lives in terms of performance. PCs are continuously moving ahead in hardware capability and it's beginning to show. More and more developers want this generation to end and more games are being developed for the PC first.

Also, a lot could be done with 8 GB of RAM. Consoles use fixed architectures which allows developers to get more out of it in terms of performance than PCs (of similar specification).

Sure you can do a lot with a little, but why limit developers. Give them 4 gigs at a minimum.

Just remember the age old quote "You can never have too much ram" Unless of course you are running Windows 98 on More than 512.

Yes, it'd require full 64bit memory addressing.

Anyway, 8GB seems about right, with maybe 2GB of VRAM. It'd allow for a lot more textures at once and higher resolution textures as well (Crysis 2 had more textures, but had to half the size or such to fit them into RAM)

I don't see the problem. Memory is dirt cheap these days. Next gen consoles should have 8GB minimum easy. Yes it might never be used all, but having extra in a "just in case" scenario always helps.

The real question is, if consoles get *8* GBs of ram....what will PC need?!!!

True, but remember what ever you put in a console for ram is not going to change for the next 7 years. So while 8 gigs may seem extreme now(or not) imagine the games for that console 7 years from now.

Realistically...4GB is what I'm expecting with the PS4/720 consoles. Naturally the CPUs will likely double or triple, but I don't expect them to go past the 3.2GHz mark. I'm guessing/hoping Sony puts a POWER7 into the PS4. By 2012/13 the chip should be reasonably cheap to manufacture on a large scale and is considerably faster than the PS3's CELL. The great thing is the POEWR7 is derived from the CELL architecture so we would be getting the best of both worlds. Add in an 8X Blu-ray drive, 4GB of RAM, wifi, and call it a day.

I would love to see Sony include a Move setup with every PS4 just to further that technology...but we'll see.

Yes, it'd require full 64bit memory addressing.

Anyway, 8GB seems about right, with maybe 2GB of VRAM. It'd allow for a lot more textures at once and higher resolution textures as well (Crysis 2 had more textures, but had to half the size or such to fit them into RAM)

2GB VRAM seems like a given to me. I'm not sure they'll have 8GB RAM, personally. I'm going to guess they'll have somewhere around 4 to 6, but above that seems pushing it.

To all the people saying 'but it only costs around $60-80 right now!', just remember that RAM is generally one of the cheaper aspects of a computer or gaming console.

2GB VRAM seems like a given to me. I'm not sure they'll have 8GB RAM, personally. I'm going to guess they'll have somewhere around 4 to 6, but above that seems pushing it.

To all the people saying 'but it only costs around $60-80 right now!', just remember that RAM is generally one of the cheaper aspects of a computer or gaming console.

don't point out that current gen processors can be as much as $900! heck you'd have to get a pretty low end current one to get into console pricing...... thats why they all have custom SOC CPU's now for them to keep costs down...

Maybe if Crytek learned how to program more efficiently they wouldn't need ridiculous hardware specs to run their crap.

Does it really matter when a couple of years into the new generation it won't be enough for whatever PC games are pushing. The bean counters at MS and Sony will ultimately decide how much goes in. 512MB 5+years ago for the 360 was an impressive amount for the consoles but time as always shows the age of the hardware. If anything, I think consoles this generation were slightly early for HD gaming and they just about keep up and not without sacrifices. We can all dream that we will be seeing 1080p 60 fps, copious amounts of AA and the like in games that look spectacular next gen but I don't see it.

I don't care much for what Crytec says, they can turn options up to 11 but doesn't mean your all that. They could do with learning how to make most of what you have to work with and don't fall to the pretty side just because they can, other things should take precedence. They would be the first to say 8GB was never enough for their game next gen after release. I really dislike that about some devs, it's an excuse because they want sheer horsepower to cover up the cracks of poor development and design.

8gb might be overkill, I imagine 2-4gb is far more likely in a modern console.

I think people are missing facts here, The Xbox360 is the only console to sport 512MB system ram, Playstation only sports 256MB, and the Wii a monsterous 88mb total system ram. Its time for an upgrade.

The PS3 has 512, but is split between 256mb of XDR DRAM and 256mb of GDDR3 that is for the RSX.

Does it really matter when a couple of years into the new generation it won't be enough for whatever PC games are pushing. The bean counters at MS and Sony will ultimately decide how much goes in. 512MB 5+years ago for the 360 was an impressive amount for the consoles but time as always shows the age of the hardware. If anything, I think consoles this generation were slightly early for HD gaming and they just about keep up and not without sacrifices. We can all dream that we will be seeing 1080p 60 fps, copious amounts of AA and the like in games that look spectacular next gen but I don't see it.

Really? My current PC can do that, so I'd expect a console in a couple of years to be able to easily beat that.

Really? My current PC can do that, so I'd expect a console in a couple of years to be able to easily beat that.

Ya, the next gen consoles will most likely at least have dual core vid cards, at least quad core procs, and plenty of ram. Since technology only keeps getting better faster, they have to really future proof the next set of consoles, or have a new set ready even quicker than all the previous ones were replaced.

There's no way they would use 8GB, way too expensive for a single component, 4GB is possible, 2GB more likely. No windows O.S needed so all the ram can be used to games, 8GB would be good for a NASA simulator but for games the cost can't be justified for the slightly improved graphics.