Crytek wants PS4/Xbox 720 to have 8GB of RAM

I've got 4GB on my gaming machine and I yet to see any game using more than 2GB. Closes I saw, was the closed beta of APB Reloaded which uses 1.8gb.

Consoles need more VRAM and not more RAM.

Consoles typically share RAM. Having dedicated VRAM increases costs. I'd love to see them have it, but it's not always feasible. Personally, I think 2GB of VRAM is a necessity, but if not, they're going to need much more RAM.

I think Crytek just want beefy consoles (no one doing a PS3.5, or a Wii on us), the whole 8GB thing is a waste of time to argue about. Just food for the PC/Console crowd to fight about.

IMO 8GB is excessive for a console, I bet we see nothing of the sorts. If I'm right people can shower me in praise :p

anywhare from 4 to 8GB

10 year cycle after all.

it won't be that 'much' after say 5/6 years

you would easily find 64GB desktop Computers!

+1000

exactly.

A 'dumbed' down version of the POWER7, mass produced? I think it's possible. If not that, then I would imagine 2-4 CELL processors would be another route to go.

It would be odd for both Xbox Next (whatever it is..) and PS3 to both run Power7.. They're both risc now but Xenon is more Power than Cell is :) I hope MS keeps with Power* cpu for backwards compatibility sake.. would hate for my current library to be garbage

I don't see PC's hitting ram holders for 64gb or anything near that. I would hope that as we progress further down the line, that the power would increase so much that we wouldn't need as much as we think we would. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if when quantum computing is figured out, that everything we even think about computers changes. But I don't see ram needing to get to insane points to keep up with the other aspects. Hard drives most likely will have to, as the data we store will be higher, but I think ram will reach a certain ceiling, and then speed and other unknown factors that could come up will be a bigger factor.... at least that is my view of the future :p

anywhare from 4 to 8GB

10 year cycle after all.

it won't be that 'much' after say 5/6 years

you would easily find 64GB desktop Computers!

I don't think 64GB will be in most mainstream PCs by then; maybe 32GB, but I'd bet on 16GB as more likely. In 5 or 6 years anyway, we'll be on DDR4 RAM by then, maybe even DDR5, so 64GB really would be overkill.

Like shakey said, the hard drive is the aspect of computers that need to be improved; everything else is brilliant right now. But to be fair, the only way I can see hard drives being improved is through higher RPM speeds, and well, there are 10,000 RPM drives on the market (the standard is 7,200 RPM for desktops, 5,400 RPM for laptops, and the PS3 and the 360), but they cost as much as solid state drives do, and frankly, the SSD would be the better choice between the two.

Does it really matter when a couple of years into the new generation it won't be enough for whatever PC games are pushing. The bean counters at MS and Sony will ultimately decide how much goes in. 512MB 5+years ago for the 360 was an impressive amount for the consoles but time as always shows the age of the hardware. If anything, I think consoles this generation were slightly early for HD gaming and they just about keep up and not without sacrifices. We can all dream that we will be seeing 1080p 60 fps, copious amounts of AA and the like in games that look spectacular next gen but I don't see it.

I don't care much for what Crytec says, they can turn options up to 11 but doesn't mean your all that. They could do with learning how to make most of what you have to work with and don't fall to the pretty side just because they can, other things should take precedence. They would be the first to say 8GB was never enough for their game next gen after release. I really dislike that about some devs, it's an excuse because they want sheer horsepower to cover up the cracks of poor development and design.

"I really dislike that about some devs, it's an excuse because they want sheer horsepower to cover up the cracks of poor development and design"

Really? You program much? I'd rather game companies focus on production quality of a game vs heavy engineering tricks to optimize code for the sake of optimizing. Do you have any idea how much time is wasted discussing limitations between artists and programmers.

They should both come with a 512GB SSD with the option to "download" a game directly to the drive for superior performance. I say download like that because I'd be perfectly happy buying a game, putting the disc in and letting it copy to the drive. Digital distribution for massive games isn't the best idea. However, maybe they can start installing games on flash memory sticks.

They should both come with a 512GB SSD with the option to "download" a game directly to the drive for superior performance. I say download like that because I'd be perfectly happy buying a game, putting the disc in and letting it copy to the drive. Digital distribution for massive games isn't the best idea. However, maybe they can start installing games on flash memory sticks.

We are at least two console generations away from an affordable 512GB SSD.

We are at least two console generations away from an affordable 512GB SSD.

Would a console as well access and read/write to the ssd more to lower the lifespan significantly? Or have SSD's basically been improved enough to where that is no longer a real factor?

I doubt it'll be 8GB, you want costs to be low and these aren't off the shelf DDR3 RAM sticks, these are part of the mobo and i'm pretty sure are GDDR. I'm expecting 4GB but who knows. It's not like that much stuff is running on a console compared to a PC. I've got 3GB in my PC and run games fine, as good as my 5770 can anyways.

i wouldn't listen to a word crytek have to say quite honestly. even with 8GB of ram they'd still mess it up.

My only contribution to the thread for now after reading only OP: 8GB should easily be feasible by the time next gen Xbox (likely PS3 too) come out judging by the fact that the Xbox360 + Kinect is said by Microsoft to be a 10 year (I.e.about 2015) console.