PSN Down

As tmorris1 said, using debit card online is not good idea - really, it's not. When your card information is leaked, you bank account will be drained empty and no one is going to give that money to you back (as no one has to), while with credit card you are okay even when your information is out there. You are better off with prepaid cards, or at least do not connect the card to an important bank account. I too own debit card (obviously), but I do not use it for anything other than withdrawing. I would never even consider connecting it to PayPal or paying with it directly online, neither really in stores either.

BS.

I've lost my Visa debit card before and the first thing my bank does is go over the charges since the date it was noted lost. I have to verbally verify each one. If not, they wipe it from the account. Of course, it pays to know exactly what kind of security features your card has - maybe some don't.

The only question I want answered is wether or not the passwords were encrypted.

Q: Was my personal data encrypted?

A: All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken. The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack.

Doesn't sound like it :crazy: :wacko:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/27/qa-1-for-playstation-network-and-qriocity-services/

The 3 digit CVV wasn't stored, so it's pretty much impossible for the people who took the data to use the cards. I've not made a purchase in the last few years that didn't require the CVV. If you don't have that, you don't have my card details as far as I'm concerned. Take the long number ... and the expiry. Sure. Whatever. Doesn't matter a damn without the CVV. So stop stressing about it.

I'll be back on PSN when it's up and I wont be complaining. This could have happened to Microsoft, or Nintendo, or Apple ... any company. It's just that someone found a loop hole ... there's loop holes in everyone's security. You can't say that things made by a human will be perfect.

BS.

I've lost my Visa debit card before and the first thing my bank does is go over the charges since the date it was noted lost. I have to verbally verify each one. If not, they wipe it from the account. Of course, it pays to know exactly what kind of security features your card has - maybe some don't.

Yeah the bank won't just leave you to suffer lol. But obviously the time that the money is not in your account could have consequences for bills you have to pay etc.

I'll be back on PSN when it's up and I wont be complaining. This could have happened to Microsoft, or Nintendo, or Apple ... any company. It's just that someone found a loop hole ... there's loop holes in everyone's security. You can't say that things made by a human will be perfect.

Same here, in the worst case scenario they've got my email address and name. Guess what, I get that spam in my gmail already - I'll just change my password and be done with it.

"Oh but QQ they know where you live and waa-waa". So what? They can't use my credit info, name/address doesn't mean anything because anything they could possibly do to me would require personal authentication via ID/SSN. Big whoop.

Same here, in the worst case scenario they've got my email address and name. Guess what, I get that spam in my gmail already - I'll just change my password and be done with it.

"Oh but QQ they know where you live and waa-waa". So what? They can't use my credit info, name/address doesn't mean anything because anything they could possibly do to me would require personal authentication via ID/SSN. Big whoop.

In Australia, the information obtained is enough to take out a home loan in the person's name among other things... it's quite serious.

Sony will punch back on this one, I have no doubt.

Suing them and trying to make them look like idiots won't help anything. As much as I don't like Sony products, they're not stupid, they'll figure out how to fix this.

I'm not trying to compare to XBL here (I'm genuinely not), but you get what you pay for. Does it suck to not be able to play online? Absolutely. I sympathize with PS3 owners everywhere, but the proper move is to just deal with the downtime, and just wait it out,

In Australia, the information obtained is enough to take out a home loan in the person's name among other things... it's quite serious.

I think it's more serious that you can get an home loan in Australia with just that data (no ID numbers, no fiscal number, just name and address) :wacko:

I think it's more serious that you can get an home loan in Australia with just that data (no ID numbers, no fiscal number, just name and address) :wacko:

I agree; I'm just quoting what I read in the paper this morning.

So should I change all my passwords or not?

Definitely should.

How can you still trust a service like this? I'd be scared if I was a PlayStation user to be honest, and I don't have anything against Sony or the PS3.
Again, Sony isn't the only one to have user data stolen. It can happen to every damn company in the world. Get over it.

So should I change all my passwords or not?

If they overlap to other sites (same email, same password or some secret question) better safe than sorry. If there is no connection between the two (every detail is different) is really up to you but you should be fine.

Again, Sony isn't the only one to have user data stolen. It can happen to every damn company in the world. Get over it.

Any company that has totally lax security practices. Yeah anyone can be hacked, but the amount of user data stolen from sony shows how lazy they were with security.

What now people that blamed Anon? :-p

Some stores are offering a free trade-in 320GB PS3 for a 250GB 360.

AUDIOBOXER - the unthinkable has happened. your man neoadorable has decided to buy a PS3 with a bunch of games this weekend. i have the money set aside. yes, i plan on becoming a Playstation gamer for the first time since 2006. the anger at Sony has ended. this is not a joke, i'm serious. now, before you go celebrating on that would-be Xmas bonus, what the hell is this crap with the PSN? you want to tell me i won't be able to sign up or create a profile and start racking trophies because of this nonsense? man, you guys need to get your act together before saturday when i sit down in my chair with Heavy Rain and the entire Uncharted/Killzone/Resistance catalog plus MGS4. don't get me wrong, i'm doubly committed to getting a PS3 just to support Sony, they may be a bunch of ###### that spawned loonies like Kutaragi but they still did a lot for gaming and just for that they need my support now, so they'll get it. but seriously, this is just embarassing bro!

AUDIOBOXER - the unthinkable has happened. your man neoadorable has decided to buy a PS3 with a bunch of games this weekend. i have the money set aside. yes, i plan on becoming a Playstation gamer for the first time since 2006. the anger at Sony has ended. this is not a joke, i'm serious. now, before you go celebrating on that would-be Xmas bonus, what the hell is this crap with the PSN? you want to tell me i won't be able to sign up or create a profile and start racking trophies because of this nonsense? man, you guys need to get your act together before saturday when i sit down in my chair with Heavy Rain and the entire Uncharted/Killzone/Resistance catalog plus MGS4. don't get me wrong, i'm doubly committed to getting a PS3 just to support Sony, they may be a bunch of ###### that spawned loonies like Kutaragi but they still did a lot for gaming and just for that they need my support now, so they'll get it. but seriously, this is just embarassing bro!

Neo, calm, take a breath :p First, the only thing you can not do right now is play a game online or browse the PSN store or chat with friends. All other functions, such as trophies and patches/updates are still accessible. First time you pop in Heavy Rain, it will download the updates. Then you can play and earn trophies. You can start your profile, just can not link it online until that part is brought up.

We are all hoping it is brought back up though before Sat.... last week was one hell of a good release week for Sony, and can't play any of those games online :p

wait wait, i'm confused now dude, i can create an account with the console connected to the internet and start making with the trophies...but no online play? i can live with no MP for a while, those games will tide me over fine with SP for months...i'm just worried about profile creation, trophies and updates. thanks for the info.