PSN Down

wait wait, i'm confused now dude, i can create an account with the console connected to the internet and start making with the trophies...but no online play? i can live with no MP for a while, those games will tide me over fine with SP for months...i'm just worried about profile creation, trophies and updates. thanks for the info.

it would be like an offline profile on the xbox. it's stored locally on your ps3 but you can earn trophies and patch the games because the patch servers were not effected by this hack they are seperate from the psn servers. but you wont have an online profile till psn comes back online and you have created an account.

Edited by Knightwolf20024

What now people that blamed Anon? :-p

Some stores are offering a free trade-in 320GB PS3 for a 250GB 360.

We still don't know that it was not them. No one knows who it was. They promised something big and this was huge. I can't say that you can rule them out yet. If it was a PS3 with CFW that enabled this breach, then they were only fighting for that kind of thing.

We still don't know that it was not them. No one knows who it was. They promised something big and this was huge. I can't say that you can rule them out yet. If it was a PS3 with CFW that enabled this breach, then they were only fighting for that kind of thing.

Seeing as Anon was stupid enough to think that bringing down the PSN the first time (and affecting tons and tons of legitimate and unknowing paying customers) wasn't actually a good idea, somehow I wouldn't put it past them to think that this would "stick it to the man". I love how Anon claims to be everyone and no one but somehow has a spokesperson who says they didn't do it. This implies leadership? Does Anon even have ranked leadership?

Imagine if Sony never decided to remove Other OS from the console?

Then people would find another reason to place Sony at fault to hide the fact they want to pirate. Please don't kid yourself, virtually no one really gives a damn about OtherOS, it's seriously just for pirating. It's not like GeoHotz wouldn't have released the private signing keys anyway.

Anonymous and their DDoS attacks are amateur hour compared to what went down this last time with PSN. They stayed quiet and denied responsibility because this latest assault went far beyond running some stupid DDoS script from one of your Uni's Linux lab shells.

Any company that has totally lax security practices. Yeah anyone can be hacked, but the amount of user data stolen from sony shows how lazy they were with security.
A good hacker can get any information they want. Seriously, if people can hack into the government or NASA (who one would presume would have the best security measures) and gain military intelligence or whatever else they're after, then I'm pretty sure Sony isn't safe either. Maybe they could've amped up their defenses but who are you to decide just how strong they were? Apparently it wasn't strong enough but then you could say that for any company that's been hacked.

I think it's more serious that you can get an home loan in Australia with just that data (no ID numbers, no fiscal number, just name and address) :wacko:

Sounds to me like you're either very wrong, or Australia's government need to get a clue.

psx scene is reporting unconfirmed rumors that the hackers apparently got everything cvv's included

Rumors are following thru various underground "credit card" trading forums, and on the new #psnhack twitter list that a large section of the PSN database containing complete personal details along with over 2.2million working credit card numbers with the much-needed CVV2 code are being offer up for sale to the highest-bidder, after the "hackers" tried to sell the DB back to Sony for a price, but they of course didn't answer!

Source

Same here, in the worst case scenario they've got my email address and name. Guess what, I get that spam in my gmail already - I'll just change my password and be done with it.

"Oh but QQ they know where you live and waa-waa". So what? They can't use my credit info, name/address doesn't mean anything because anything they could possibly do to me would require personal authentication via ID/SSN. Big whoop.

It?s actually pretty serious. Keep in mind that address and name were not the only things compromised. Date of Birth, email, password, security question and answer were all taken.

As someone mentioned already, this is enough to get a loan at certain credit unions and more depending on your country.

If you use the same password across multiple websites (which is a very bad practice and you should stop now), other site you use are at risk.

But the most worrying information leaked, and people seem to overlook this, is the security question and answer. God knows what people put in there (I certainly don?t remember), and if that?s used on multiple accounts, they?re all at risk.

And here?s something I only heard about because of this fiasco: Researchers in Carnegie Mellon (Acquisti and Gross, 2009) used the public SSN Death Registry and standard personal information data sets and were able to identify the first 5 digits of a person's SSN 44% of the time for people born after 1988. Of those, they were able to obtain all nine digits for 8.5 percent in fewer than 1,000 attempts. Estimates are 77 million accounts, but let?s assume some are duplicates or people used fake information. So, let?s assumes the hackers have personal information for 40 million people. That?s a yield of about 1.5 million SSNs.

Beyond that, the information available is more than enough for a targeted phishing attack and social engineering.

psx scene is reporting unconfirmed rumors that the hackers apparently got everything cvv's included

Considering the PSN Blog said they never asked/stored cvv's I would say (and hope) that the credit card info is safe.

Regardless, tomorrow, I am changing my god damn credit card number.

Considering the PSN Blog said they never asked/stored cvv's I would say (and hope) that the credit card info is safe.

Regardless, tomorrow, I am changing my god damn credit card number.

I know for sure PSN has asked for cvv.. last time i purchased something from Sony was 2007 but they definitely asked for it because they wouldn't accept the CVV of my prepaid card

I know for sure PSN has asked for cvv.. last time i purchased something from Sony was 2007 but they definitely asked for it because they wouldn't accept the CVV of my prepaid card

It's against the credit card processing rules to store a CVV so they shouldn't have been storing them beyond the transaction in which they asked you for them. There are no guarantees however that they or any company are actually following those rules.

It's against the credit card processing rules to store a CVV so they shouldn't have been storing them beyond the transaction in which they asked you for them. There are no guarantees however that they or any company are actually following those rules.

Yup, indeed. I just know it was asked for then. Not sure about now or whether or not they stored it.

I am just going to go ahead and share the following...

• Besides all personal information, Credit Card information was definitely obtained. No ifs, ands or buts about it. It was obtained. Obviously that does not mean your security number on your credit card, but I did go ahead and cancel my credit card completely that was associated with my PSN account as I am very sure of the fact at this point in time. It is definitely better to be safe then sorry.
  • The attacks are still happening right now. They have not been stopped.
  • Because of the above, there is absolutely no idea internally of when the PSN will be back up and running.
  • Anonymous is responsible for the attacks. They are admitting to it to those who are monitoring the attacks. Whether it is actually them, or someone claiming to be them, that is who is claiming responsibility.
    Again note, the s on the end of the word attack. There has indeed not just been one. There has been several, and again, they are ongoing.

So take the above for what you will.

I am not stating the above bullet points to be absolute fact.

I am however stating them to be something I have possibly heard. :shiftyninja:

You are not mistaken:

editbilling6a.jpg

Step-14.jpg

(from Sony's blog)

Which is counter to Sony's own statements:

Keep in mind, however that your credit card security code (sometimes called a CVC or CSC number) has not been obtained because we never requested it from anyone who has joined the PlayStation Network or Qriocity, and is therefore not stored anywhere in our system.

Keep in mind, this doesn't mean they were stored. That would be against regulation, and I doubt Sony would go to the lengths to cover it up. It's more likely that the Sony poster was a database guy (considering his use of the word "table") and since it wasn't stored, he assumed it was never asked for.

I am just going to go ahead and share the following...

• Besides all personal information, Credit Card information was definitely obtained. No ifs, ands or buts about it. It was obtained. Obviously that does not mean your security number on your credit card, but I did go ahead and cancel my credit card completely that was associated with my PSN account as I am very sure of the fact at this point in time. It is definitely better to be safe then sorry.
  • The attacks are still happening right now. They have not been stopped.
  • Because of the above, there is absolutely no idea internally of when the PSN will be back up and running.
  • Anonymous is responsible for the attacks. They are admitting to it to those who are monitoring the attacks. Whether it is actually them, or someone claiming to be them, that is who is claiming responsibility.
    Again note, the s on the end of the word attack. There has indeed not just been one. There has been several, and again, they are ongoing.

So take the above for what you will.

I am not stating the above bullet points to be absolute fact.

I am however stating them to be something I have possibly heard. :shiftyninja:

XD

They've already said Credit Card info was encrypted.

There are no attacks happening right now as PSN is down and Sony are currently moving servers to a more secure area.

They've stated that PSN will be kind of available starting on May 3rd, with more features coming back slowly.

We don't know if Anonymous was behind it, as anyone can say Anonymous and hide behind that.

They are not ongoing as PSN is offline completely.

But I'm sure you were just joking :p

You are not mistaken:

editbilling6a.jpg

Step-14.jpg

(from Sony's blog)

Which is counter to Sony's own statements:

Keep in mind, this doesn't mean they were stored. That would be against regulation, and I doubt Sony would go to the lengths to cover it up. It's more likely that the Sony poster was a database guy (considering his use of the word "table") and since it wasn't stored, he assumed it was never asked for.

Well technically they weren't lying. They don't ask for CVV when signing up for PSN.

I think we can all say it was Anonymous. We have to be crazy not too even think he didn't do it even if he denys it. Guys come on he had a dispute with Sony just before this happens.

I think we can all say it was Anonymous. We have to be crazy not too even think he didn't do it even if he denys it. Guys come on he had a dispute with Sony just before this happens.

lol?

Yesterday, we addressed a number of your questions relating to the malicious intrusion into our network. You can find that FAQ here. As we get closer to restoration of service, here are more answers to your questions, many of which are more gaming related:

Q: Will our download history/friends list/settings be affected by the PSN downtime?

A: No, they will not.

Q: Will trophies that were earned in single-player offline games during the outage be intact when the service resumes?

A: These trophies are intact and will be re-synched when the network is once again operational.

Q: Will my PS+ cloud saves be retrievable?

A: Yes, once PSN is restored.

Q: What if we have a subscription to PS3 MMOs DC Universe Online or Free Realms? Will we get compensation for that?

A: From Sony Online Entertainment: ?We apologize for any inconvenience players may have experienced as a result of the recent service interruption. As a global leader in online gaming, SOE is committed to delivering stable and entertaining games for players of all ages. To thank players for their patience, we will be hosting special events across our game portfolio. We are also working on a ?make good? plan for players of the PS3 versions of DC Universe Online and Free Realms. Details will be available soon on the individual game websites and forums.?

Q: Will there be a goodwill gesture for the time we haven?t been able to utilize PSN/Qriocity?

A: We are currently evaluating ways to show appreciation for your extraordinary patience as we work to get these services back online.

Thank you for your continued feedback.

Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/28/qa-2-for-playstation-network-and-qriocity-services/

and said they were going to get them again hard... it has to be them or someone they are affiliated with.