PSN Down

Really? Got a link?

Yes I'm pretty sure it has been.

Because companies can't store your CVV2 umbers.

EDIT: ok found it here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27470004&postcount=7754 I looked it up on wikipedia and it says this:

Since the CSC may not be stored by the merchant for any length of time[3] (after the original transaction in which the CSC was quoted and then authorized and completed), a merchant who needs to regularly bill a card for a regular subscription would not be able to provide the code after the initial transaction.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_security_code

"Rules for Visa Merchants" (PDF). p. 8.

Edited by American Ninja

It was in the national news here and on the frontpage of about every newspaper.

No it wasnt, in Canada anyways. And on the news shows it got like 30 seconds of coverage...

You kno what's actually taking all the headlines? That stupid wedding.

I'm with AB on this, I just wanna sync my trophies now and spam facebook haha. Still no proof about CC info and I've since gotten a replacement card so I just want to enjoy my PS3 at this point.

No it wasnt, in Canada anyways. And on the news shows it got like 30 seconds of coverage...

Naturally I'm only referring to our national papers + news here - I cannot speak for any other country.

They ask for the CV2 on first use but once a purchase goes through the card is 'trusted' and they don't need the CV2 for future purchases. They also charge you a buck the first time you enter your info to verify the card number.

EDIT: News stories reporting this:

CNN BBC CTV CBC

Patrick Seybold updated the first Q&A:

+ Patrick Seybold on April 29th, 2011 at 10:43 am said:

As our friends at Destructoid pointed out, I was incorrect on the last point of the credit card question above. I want to make an important distinction: While we do ask for CCV codes, we do not store them in our database. It is transmitted to our payment processors for verification purposes only. Deep apologies for the confusion.

Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/27/qa-1-for-playstation-network-and-qriocity-services/#comment-549273

Congress questions Sony on hacked PlayStation network

A congressional subcommittee has sent a letter to Sony Corp. seeking information about a security attack on PlayStation?s online network by hackers last week.

Addressed to Sony Chairman Kazuo Hirai, the letter requested answers to a detailed list of questions regarding the breach, which exposed the personal information and possibly credit card data of 77 million customer accounts.

The letter, written by the House Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trading, addresses a number of security concerns, including when the breach occurred, how much data was stolen and why Sony waited a week before it notified customers.

The letter demanded specifics on the kind of information the hackers stole and assurances that no credit card data was swiped.

?Given the amount and nature of the personal information known to have been taken, the potential harm that could be caused if credit card information was also taken would be quite significant,? the letter said.

The subcommittee set a May 6 deadline for a reply.

Sony?s admission has drawn a firestorm of anger from customers and lawmakers alike. Rep. Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.) on Wednesday compared the breach to thieves playing the video game Grand Theft Auto with highly sensitive personal information.

The PlayStation network has been down for almost two weeks and it?s unclear when the service will be fully revived.

Sony could not immediately be reached for comment.

Good, just keep debunking nonsense quickly before it spreads like wildfire.

I think it's a bit late for that - I do agree, they should've acted sooner but it seems to be a major flaw in every company nowadays, let it be Sony, Google, Apple or Microsoft - they never come with the facts fast enough or only after some considerably shaking.

Sony's Hirai to hold news conference on data theft

(Reuters) - Sony Corp's Executive Deputy President Kazuo Hirai will hold a news conference on Sunday on a massive security breach of its popular PlayStation Network, the Japanese electronics giant said.

Hirai will speak at 2:00 p.m. Japan time (09:00 a.m. ET) about the breach, as well as the firm's information management system and the schedule to resume services, Sony said in a news release on Saturday.

The Japanese electronic giant warned this week that hackers had stolen names, addresses, and possibly credit card details from the 77 million user accounts of its video game online network in one of the largest Internet security break-ins ever.

The firm, which shut down the network on April 19, could face legal actions after it delayed disclosing the security breach information. Its shares fell nearly 5 percent in Tokyo on Thursday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/30/us-sony-idUSTRE73R0Q320110430

Edit: the 9am ET time doesn't sound right? 2pm Japan time is 6am UK time...so US time has got to be even earlier that morning on Sunday, or late tonight (Saturday).

Edit: the 9am ET time doesn't sound right? 2pm Japan time is 6am UK time...so US time has got to be even earlier that morning on Sunday, or late tonight (Saturday).

1:00AM Time= EST + 13Hrs.

genuine?

I'd remove those links off of Neowin, even if not related to PSN/fake, they could be peoples details from elsewhere.

On a related note do passwords on PSN not need to be 8 characters long?

It's looks like a DB dump from some random game forum (looks like MW2). Not PSN details for sure. But I'm sure soon enough some "rumor" will be spread that it is and the FUD cycle will begin anew.

Almost 2 weeks with service?! Why can other free services like steam offer protection against things like this, but sony can't?

Because they weren't targeted by this expert hacker. This is exceptional.

Because they weren't targeted by this expert hacker. This is exceptional.

how would we even know if steam was targeted unless the supposed hacker successfully takes it down? you think steam reports every unsuccessful hacking attempt to the public?

Kazuo Hirai will brief media on Sunday

Hirai, in line to succeed CEO Howard Stringer, will hold a news conference in Tokyo at 2:00 p.m. (1 a.m. EDT) on Sony's investigation of the case, its information management system and the schedule to resume services, the firm said in a news release on Saturday.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/30/us-sony-idUSTRE73R0Q320110430

Almost 2 weeks with service?! Why can other free services like steam offer protection against things like this, but sony can't?

It's pretty much guaranteed that your details have been exposed somewhere by some hack/intrusion and you haven't been told about it.

The fact that you don't know doesn't mean it hasn't happened.