Game capture and fraps problems.

Okay, so recently I've decided to get into the world of youtube, to post some of my PC gaming experiences. The problem I'm having is with the different resolutions and letterboxing on youtube.

I first encountered a problem with fraps, causing frame rate lag whenever I would start to capture. Most people said this was a common problem, and to offset this by using the "Half-size" option in fraps. Because my resolution is 1920x1080, this brings the resolution down to 960x540.

Is there a sequence preset I should be using in Premiere? All the ones I've tried cause letter boxing. There were a few I tried that stopped causing the letter boxing in Premiere, but still caused the problem on youtube. Anyone have any suggestions to get the best quality output for youtube?

I fiddled with Premiere Elements for a while but it doesn't like the Fraps codec. I had nothing but problems with it. My usual setup is VirtualDub + x264vfw + lameACM and I have some of the best quality vids on Youtube. I recently tried Avidemux but right now it's still an unstable pile of bugs, and Youtube hates b-frames anyway so you're not losing much going with x264vfw rather the "real deal".

It's normal that Fraps causes a substantial framerate drop, but it's better to reduce your game resolution to, say, 1280x720, and capture at full resolution, than capturing 1920x1080 at half resolution. Never use that, it looks horrible and pixelized.

Yeah actually I should have mentioned that. I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable on my monitor (HP w2338h), and any resolution OTHER than 1920x1080 looks really goofy. Am I better off using the DVI with a DVI to VGA adapter?

Yeah actually I should have mentioned that. I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable on my monitor (HP w2338h), and any resolution OTHER than 1920x1080 looks really goofy.
You mean it doesn't scale correctly? For ATI there's an option for that in the CCC. For NVIDIA card, there's an old bug where the option is greyed out for DVI->HDMI setups, I'm using that myself. There's actually a registry hack you can do to get it working, check out the NVIDIA support forums, it did work for me.

In any case, even if the picture displays incorrectly on your monitor, it will look just fine on the fraps footage, so maybe you could tolerate it just while you're recording.

For lack of a better term, it looks "blurry". I'm assuming thats what it is, not "scaling" correctly. It used to be a huge problem with my old monitor, but after I picked this one up I had NO problem bumping my resolution up to 1920x1080. Looks super crisp.

I am in fact using an nVidia card, and I scoured the internet looking for a fix until I decided just to stick with the 1366 or whatever resolution it was (back when I was using a 32" HDTV for my monitor). I'll check it out and let you know if it works.

Also, any chance to get a link to your youtube videos? :) I may have some more questions for you in the future. This stuff is pretty new to me, so I'm trying to get the hang of it.

For lack of a better term, it looks "blurry". I'm assuming thats what it is, not "scaling" correctly. It used to be a huge problem with my old monitor, but after I picked this one up I had NO problem bumping my resolution up to 1920x1080. Looks super crisp.
It's normal to get some blur at non-native resolutions, as the monitor must perform interpolation. If there's no aspect ratio problem, I'd just live with the sub-par image quality while I'm recording. It won't matter on the end product.

Linky. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Most people said this was a common problem, and to offset this by using the "Half-size" option in fraps. Because my resolution is 1920x1080, this brings the resolution down to 960x540.

=> Fraps does not compress the video as it records, so there will be lag regardless how good your computer is because it has to write massive files to your hard disk drive. It's a common problem in Fraps.

=> Try Bandicam recorder. Bandicam compresses the recording video when recording, and uses much lower CPU/GPU/RAM usage than Fraps. As a result, you may have much less lag. You don't have to use the "Half-size" option to reduce the lag.

Also, you can upload the recorded file to YouTube without converting because the recorded file is extremely small.

http://www.bandicam.com