Nintendo Announces Wii Successor for 2012

^ + 1 the Nintendo Wii isn't all that appealing to an adult / mature audience. Plus there's only so many versions of Mario Kart remakes you can get... surely? :/

I honestly don't see the Wii as original other than it's controller system - which they'll be hard press to beat this time. The reason it became so popular in my eyes = kids + xmas + price done.

I disagree. I know that nursing homes install wii's for the residents to play wii sports. The local eagles club here in town got one when it came out and all the older people were ALWAYS playing bowling. I still play wii bowling there on Friday / Saturday nights with Jimmy!!

I'm an adult, I would own only a Wii if the thing was in HD, and was as good a media center as my 360 is. I picked one up when it first came out, and wish I had kept it.

I'll be interested to see if Nintendo try to make it into a more mature platform or not. The games coming out on the Xbox360 and PS3 have revolutionised gaming, turning it into a valid and artistic form of adult entertainment, rather than a kids toy. If they do take it down the more mature route I'd definitely be interested.

Although given their "adult games = boring/violent vs happy sunshine world of the Wii" advert a while back I somehow doubt it.

Please... Sony have been doing that since the Playstation 1. If you've only just cottoned on to "Mature gaming"... then you really need to stop hiding under that rock. Hell, even the N64 had mature games. The 360 has revolutionised online play, true, but you can't deny the Wii has revolutionised gameplay. Nobody gave two cents about motion controls, now all of a sudden all the big players are scrambling to make it their number 1 priority... if the Wii was that rubbish, motion controls wouldn't have made their way to every other platform since the Wii's inception.

I was thinking.

Maybe they're putting the screen on the controller because they want to integrate a DS marketplace so that you can play DS games on your NextGen Nintendo? Like.. a bigger DS kinda, where your TV is the main screen and the controller is like the bottom half of the DS.

It would make sense, kinda?

Hopefully it will support HD. Time to catch up with TVs.

Reading this thread would be a wise idea before commenting. Many, MANY of us have already said it'll be HD. :unsure:

Reading this thread would be a wise idea before commenting. Many, MANY of us have already said it'll be HD. :unsure:

Thread also says specs haven't been announced.

Basically if they dont come out with a full body thing like kinect, a hard drive and superior graphics to the 360/ps3 it will get left in the dust. All this crap about how they outsold the other consoles doesnt prove anything. It just shows people are easily entertained for a short while with a new fad. 95% of the games on that console are crap or shovel ware. The only games worth getting are the nintendo games and maybe resident evil 4. Everything else looked horrible or just a gimmick. If they really want to do something with this next cosole then they are going to have to build a better online setup. So many of the 3rd party developers had a really hard time because they were not allowed to patch games and at one point not allowed to even use dual layer dvds but the nintendo first party games could. Nintendo is going to have to shed its kiddy shell if it wants to stay in the console war otherwise this will be it for them.

Basically if they dont come out with a full body thing like kinect, a hard drive and superior graphics to the 360/ps3 it will get left in the dust. All this crap about how they outsold the other consoles doesnt prove anything. It just shows people are easily entertained for a short while with a new fad. 95% of the games on that console are crap or shovel ware. The only games worth getting are the nintendo games and maybe resident evil 4. Everything else looked horrible or just a gimmick. If they really want to do something with this next cosole then they are going to have to build a better online setup. So many of the 3rd party developers had a really hard time because they were not allowed to patch games and at one point not allowed to even use dual layer dvds but the nintendo first party games could. Nintendo is going to have to shed its kiddy shell if it wants to stay in the console war otherwise this will be it for them.

BOOM!

what is this i don't even

it's people like you who let the wii fail - there's a ton of decent third party games out there which are worth playing... that number is even bigger then the number of first party games worth playing.

also... considering the Wii had flash memory built in... don't you think the Wii 2 would obviously have more? :rolleyes:

That's nice.

This is the first time I've seen any of your posts on Neowin and most probably the first time you've seen me post and in that one post you jump to the conclusion that I mindlessly hate Nintendo. Bravo.

Conversely you could say that because you blindly love Nintendo you can't think clearly, Nintendo might gain ground with the 'Wii 2' with reports stating that it could be anywhere from as powerful to more powerful than but Sony and Microsoft are just going to leapfrog past. While they may not gain the same sort of jump in graphical fidelity like they did from their previous to current generation, they are just going to make the 'Wii 2' look like the current Wii does compared to current gen consoles.

You haven't seen a whole lot cause a) i have a tendency to lurk. and b) the majority of my posts were in the pc gaming section as that's my primary platform(something you should have noticed when you clicked my profile). If you want to say i blindly love anything, you should say it's that(PC). As after all, the pc always is, and always will be superior to any console. The main reason i'm so interested in this potential new hardware from nintendo is that it possibly means atleast one player will be doing something to move things forward. As the 10 year plan ms and sony want is bad for everyone including pc gamers.

As for the comment on the average neowinians stance on consoles, you can't really blame me for that if you'd just look around. Anything with nintendo in it tends to end up with atleast 50% more hatin' in it than anything from the other guys.

And on the part of sony and ms passing it up when their new consoles come out. Obviously. Of course when you wait till 3 or 4 years(that'd be the 10 year mark for both) after your competition you're going to be able to put out better hardware. Next you'll be telling me things like amd's/nvidia's 2015 gpus will be more powerful than what they release in 2012.

It's funny. You talk about things being gimmicks and people being easily sold on them, and you also mention shovelware. But then you also mention it HAS to have a kinect like thing. A horribly gimmicky device in which people were easily sold on that can bring nothing but the very same shovelware that you were complaining about on the wii. The only difference between the wii and kinect is that the shovelware is now in hd. I guess that means it's the whole "HD factor" that suddenly makes gimmicks and shovelware ok. :rolleyes:

Personally I am not impressed with the mention of "its more powerful than 360/PS3". It should be a given that all consoles of the new generation are more powerful than the old. The Wii is definitely more advanced if not more powerful than the Original Xbox and PS2. What I am really curious about is their interface model (specifically their controller and how they may integrate the 3DS's capabilities into the next platform). It has been many years since graphics mattered for me when it came to Nintendo. They innovate in many other ways and that, to me, makes up for it (even if their innovation this generation was fairly gimmicky).

• 3 weeks later...

Rumours are floating around the web that one of the launch titles will be a new Smash Bros. game, or at least one of its titles, and will be shown at E3.

Don't know how reliable this source is though.

Haha, what? That one came out of nowhere. I doubt that'll happen but you never know I guess. I'd rather see a new Pikmin title though - we haven't had one this whole generation.

EDIT: Although a pic is here... maybe it will actually happen

http://owiily.wordpress.com/2011/05/23/rumour-super-smash-bros-strife-to-be-shown-at-e3/

I don't think another SSB is gonna come out, at least not as a launch title. Melee was supposed to be the last one and then they made Brawl. I doubt they'll break their word twice (although look at how many Mario games there are, lol).

And when the big boys announce their next consoles. Nintendo will yet again be left behind.

Ok i aint a Ninty fan but.

1. Ps3/Xb360 are both 10yr cycles or so MS/Sony have said. So perfectly enuff time for the Wii2 to come and go before we see there new stuff.

2 Ninty are the big boys, have a longer record in the industry and have been with us since 1st gen. Something neither Sony or MS can say.

Haha, what? That one came out of nowhere. I doubt that'll happen but you never know I guess. I'd rather see a new Pikmin title though - we haven't had one this whole generation.

EDIT: Although a pic is here... maybe it will actually happen

http://owiily.wordpress.com/2011/05/23/rumour-super-smash-bros-strife-to-be-shown-at-e3/

Not just that, but Sonic the Hedgehog's fan page just updated with an image of Sonic, the promo image from Brawl no less. Which could further fuel rumors of either Smash Bros for Cafe or 3DS.

The5thNintendoElement.gif

LOL Minus the fact that the Wii had the easiest to hack online XD

I don't think we'll see Smash Bros @ E3. I do expect them to announce the next Super Mario game though, with gameplay, showing us how the new controller will work.

Knowing Nintendo, they will delay Zelda and refit it with whatever controls we are getting with this next console.

That way they can boast about a top exclusive for launch, and the rest of us that have been waiting for the new Zelda to even hit the console it was meant to come out on.

I mean its not like they have done that before, lol.

Ok i aint a Ninty fan but.

1. Ps3/Xb360 are both 10yr cycles or so MS/Sony have said. So perfectly enuff time for the Wii2 to come and go before we see there new stuff.

2 Ninty are the big boys, have a longer record in the industry and have been with us since 1st gen. Something neither Sony or MS can say.

The 10 year life cycle doesn't mean they won't bring out a new console during that time, the PS2 had a 10 year life cycle and the PS3 came out on the 6th year, all they are saying is that they aim to support that console for those 10 years regardless of if its successor arrives or not.

Knowing Nintendo, they will delay Zelda and refit it with whatever controls we are getting with this next console.

That way they can boast about a top exclusive for launch, and the rest of us that have been waiting for the new Zelda to even hit the console it was meant to come out on.

I mean its not like they have done that before, lol.

The 10 year life cycle doesn't mean they won't bring out a new console during that time, the PS2 had a 10 year life cycle and the PS3 came out on the 6th year, all they are saying is that they aim to support that console for those 10 years regardless of if its successor arrives or not.

If they do this, that would make the Wii the first console to never have an exclusive main Zelda title (disregarding emulation ports). Considering the Wii is the biggest selling console to date, that would be weird.