275 posts in this topic

Martyrs.

The Exorcist - Director's Cut

Martyrs.

Yep... This movie is one of the craziest I have ever seen. Impressive. :)

The Exorcist: Director's Cut is also VERY scary.

Fire in the Sky....I watched that when I was a kid and couldn't sleep right for weeks.....I would just keep peeking out the window to see if aliens were coming for me :)

1 person likes this

Wouldn't be one of the Wishmater movies would it? Kinda sorta sounds like it. (3? I forget, been ages.)

Probably seeing the original Alien in the theaters for me. But I was literally a little girl at the time who was snuck in by an older relative.. so cut me some slack :D Nothing has made me jump since like that one did.

Lucky! I was 4 in 1979 and always wanted to see Alien in the theater. I watched Aliens first in 86, I think. That was by far the scariest movie I saw, but I went to the theater in 2004 to see the 25th anniversary of Alien and it was awesome on the big screen. I still jump when Dallas is crawling through the vents, turns and sees the Alien there. *shivers*

Paranormal Activity. It's such a crap movie honestly, but there was something about it that still actually haunts me to this date sometime....

Also scary for me, but for completely other reasons, was 127 Hours. I'm normally fine with seeing splatter movies, however once that dude started chopping his forearm off with a blunt multitool knife I was just about to faint! :D

Recently watched Paranormal Activity 2 and that was quite good too.

I thought it was funny. o.O

Paranormal Activity. Gimmick? Sure, though when I saw it I was in the mood and any film that manages to make hearing footsteps scary deserves applause.

Both Paranormal Activity 1 and 2 did a good job of creating an intense, scary atmosphere at the cinema.

Someone's knocking at the door - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1303902/

Something about this movie was very disturbing and scary..... oh ya, it's the guy with the 8 foot dick that rapes you till your head comes off.... but he starts off as a very attractive big titty blonde girl.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005 the remake).I'm not religious but still it was creepy

I've never really found films scary. Admittedly, like many others The Shining got me as a kid... but after seeing that at a young age, nothing ever really topped it. Nicholson is just positively chilling in that film. As for horror films focusing on 'gore', I think I speak for most of my generation when I say the evolution of the internet has desensitized me. Becoming a regular user when sites like Rotten and SteakAndCheese were all the rage, the movies just don't cut it compared to some of the real images and videos that those sites hosted. As I got older I took an avid interest in film... and... well... it became hard to get TOO engrossed in a film. Especially when your subconscious spills into the foreground and you realise you're analyzing the lighting, colours, camera angles, music and wanting to write all of your observations down! I remember being told in my first Film Studies class that the way we viewed films was about to change, and unfortunately some of us would never be able to just "switch off" at will. Understandably, this kind of ruins the atmosphere of horror films.

I am not a massive fan of horrors these days, but my favourite horror has to be...

MV5BMTIwMTU1MDUxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDM3NjYyMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg

jummy and the underpants

The one movie that scared the **** out of me as a kid was: Stephen Kings "IT".

Man that clown was scary as hell.

Movies don't scare me, but The Ring and The Grudge did get the blood pumping a bit.

But after Scary movie 3 i just laugh my ass of when i see The Ring lol

BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When you're down here with us, you'll float too!

Heh, I loved the movie adaption of IT. Even though they more or less butchered the book, but hey, still wasn't pretty close.

The Exorcist scared the crapola out of me when I saw it back in 82 or so at a friends house one night....I was 6 years old lol not the best idea

Event Horizon for some reason really scared me!

3 people like this

Shutter (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0440803/)

The original and not the crappy north-american remake.

Shutter (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0440803/)

The original and not the crappy north-american remake.

Haven't seen this yet, and it looks good, I think next weekend's movie will be this one. ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335345/ Really scared the crap out of me, even more that the people in the theater thought it was real. Movie was scary.

As a kid, it was Night of the living dead, effin zombies scare the crap out of me even today.

Does the Faces of Death series count?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335345/ Really scared the crap out of me, even more that the people in the theater thought it was real. Movie was scary.

As a kid, it was Night of the living dead, effin zombies scare the crap out of me even today.

This movies didn't scare me, but I cried when I saw it. lol

Does the Faces of Death series count?

Traces of Death and Execution are better. :p

1 person likes this

Traces of Death and Execution are better. :p

Damn. I thought FoD was bad.

The Exorcist - I was around 15 at the time and it affected for a good month or two... felt uncomfortable in my house because I no longer felt safe.

Same.

What is the scariest movie you've watched?

In my case, the "award" goes to the 1976 version of the King Kong and its 1986 sequel, King Kong Lives!

I watched both of them in one setting with my parents back in 1987, at the sea resort's movie theatre, on the front row seat!

I was six at that time!

My old folks still make fun of me cause I literally flipped under my seat on the first close-up scene of the big ape's face...haha ))

They shouldn't have taken me to see this one. It really scared the bejesus out of me and most likely left my psyche permanently changed! Because we were at the sea resort with the palm trees and everything, the scenery which is very similar to the one in the movie, I actually had the pseudo-visions, the illusions of the King Kong coming out of the palm trees!

I also had nightmares...

A couple of years later I watched the Alien (1979) on VCR which was very terrifying...I was still too young to watch this kind of films and I will not let the same thing happen to my kids! haha

What else was there? It was pretty intense to watch these as a kid:

The Aliens

The Terminator 1 and 2

The original Planet of the Apes and its four sequels

The Exorcist - Director's Cut

Yep... This movie is one of the craziest I have ever seen. Impressive. :)

The Exorcist: Director's Cut is also VERY scary.

(Y)

Event Horizon for some reason really scared me!

(Y)

Among the "recent" movies which I've watched as an adult - "What lies beneath" is quite suspenseful.

I'm another one who found Event Horizon quite scary. It had great acting and superb atmosphere.

An old horror film that I saw when I was about 11 which scared the hell out of me at the time was 'House'. It was a late 80s film I think. A few years later I saw The Exorcist for the first time which chilled me! Then came the Nightmare on Elm Street series. The first 2 or 3 were scary but from then on it just got funny.

OK, my contibution.

I dont really like horror flicks, as i think they desensitize, or impart disrespect for life (be it human or animal); we have enough of that going on in the world right now.

But anyways, ive seen my share of them.

Classical horror flick: Shining

The way the a human being can fall between the walls of psycosis... absolutelly brilliant.

Classical psicological horror: Clockwork Orange

May or may not be horror, but the premise of comforming or being institutionalized as to change the essence of oneself, that scares the hell out of me. That and the sheer cold unrepentive violence the main character drives.

Modern Horror: Cannibal Holocaust

Ok, what can i say? This one is just disturbing. For the sheer curiosity of plain violence/morbocity, just watch this one. After watching, head over to Wikipedia to read the production reports on this one. They killed real animals for this one, and even reported at one time (not real, though) they filmed an actual human death.

Recent Horror: Turistas

I know... an overall not that good film, with cheesy dialog and acting. But the idea of organ harvesting really freaks me out. And i got to say, those scenes were pretty gruesome/convincing, at least for me. The doctor character just seemed to enjoy the whole process of organ extracting.

Mr.Ed

Chalk up another vote for Event Horizon; one of the few movies that still scares the crap out of me. Alien is a piece of **** by comparison. I remember having nightmares for several weeks after watching it for the first time (I was 14).

I don't know what it is about the film. The plot is silly, but it's executed extremely well. The tension just mounts and mounts and mounts. Excellent acting all-around and top notch production. I was shocked when I later found out that about 30 minutes of additional violence and gore were cut from the film due to feedback from test audiences. I don't even want to imagine how graphic the original was. :x