San Francisco may vote on banning male circumcision

(Reuters) - A group opposed to male circumcision said on Tuesday they have collected more than enough signatures to qualify a proposal to ban the practice in San Francisco as a ballot measure for November elections.

But legal experts said that even if it were approved by a majority of the city's voters, such a measure would almost certainly face a legal challenge as an unconstitutional infringement on freedom of religion.

Circumcision is a ritual obligation for infant Jewish boys, and is also a common rite among Muslims, who account for the largest share of circumcised men worldwide.

The leading proponent of a ban, Lloyd Schofield, 59, acknowledged circumcision is widely socially accepted but he said it should still be outlawed.

"It's excruciatingly painful and permanently damaging surgery that's forced on men when they're at their weakest and most vulnerable," he told Reuters.

His group submitted about 12,000 signatures supporting his proposed ban, said Rachel Gosiengfiao, campaign services manager for the city's Department of Elections. The agency has 30 days to verify the petitions. He needs 7,200 valid signatures to qualify.

The measure, which would only apply in San Francisco, would make it a misdemeanor crime to circumcise a boy before he is 18 years of age, regardless of the parents' religious beliefs. The maximum penalty would be a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

more

"It's excruciatingly painful and permanently damaging surgery that's forced on men when they're at their weakest and most vulnerable," he told Reuters.

I don't know about everyone else but I can hardly remember what I did last week let alone when I was 10 minutes old...

Seems to me 20-30 years ago SF liberals were complaining to High Heaven about govt. making rules they thought were intrusive, but now that they are in power they're even worse.

Hypocrites.

The measure, which would only apply in San Francisco, would make it a misdemeanor crime to circumcise a boy before he is 18 years of age, regardless of the parents' religious beliefs.
Makes perfect sense.

So hand on, the place is running a deficit running into the millions and they waste time on this stuff?

Who is "they"? This is a petition by a group of citizens trying to put something on the ballot.

Pretty sure you can't ban circumcision... it's a private act.

But it's performed by "professionals", is it not ? It's like that here, but it's unimagineable that it'll be banned in Israel :p

"It's excruciatingly painful and permanently damaging surgery that's forced on men when they're at their weakest and most vulnerable"

That's only half truth, while it is in a way forced on the "man", it's not excruciatingly painful, that's either of two things, flat out lie or someone who is quite older than 8 days (when it is actually performed, not "10 minutes after I'm born" as one person said/implied..) so yeah, it'll hurt, root canal hurts like a bitch, for lack of a better term, but I don't see them having a petition to ban root canals.

About the "permanetly damaging surgery", the "damaging" part is simply a lie to make the sentence look "strong" (if you know what I mean).

Overall they're a bunch of retards that should be ignored. Or.. laughed at, hah.

Who is "they"? This is a petition by a group of citizens trying to put something on the ballot.

Exactly, once the required number of signatures are gathered, the legislature/council/whatever likely has to make some time available for it due to the rules of the city's constitution or whatever.

The petition group are the ones forcing the city council to waste taxpayer's time.

There was a time when it was believed that babies felt no pain (or more to the point, that babies could not remember the pain and thus it was to them as if the pain had never happened). That is no longer done. Today, babies are given IV or local painkillers the same way it would be done with a child or an adult.

I don't know about everyone else but I can hardly remember what I did last week let alone when I was 10 minutes old...

don't they do it at 8 days old?

the only problem with it is the fact that you don't know what it would be like to not be, when you are older, so how do know you are damaged? but then how do you know if it feels better not being? its a catch 22..... either way you will never know the other side

(Reuters) - A group opposed to male circumcision said on Tuesday they have collected more than enough signatures to qualify a proposal to ban the practice in San Francisco as a ballot measure for November elections.

But legal experts said that even if it were approved by a majority of the city's voters, such a measure would almost certainly face a legal challenge as an unconstitutional infringement on freedom of religion.

Circumcision is a ritual obligation for infant Jewish boys, and is also a common rite among Muslims, who account for the largest share of circumcised men worldwide.

The leading proponent of a ban, Lloyd Schofield, 59, acknowledged circumcision is widely socially accepted but he said it should still be outlawed.

His group submitted about 12,000 signatures supporting his proposed ban, said Rachel Gosiengfiao, campaign services manager for the city's Department of Elections. The agency has 30 days to verify the petitions. He needs 7,200 valid signatures to qualify.

The measure, which would only apply in San Francisco, would make it a misdemeanor crime to circumcise a boy before he is 18 years of age, regardless of the parents' religious beliefs. The maximum penalty would be a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

more

you really got to be kidding this world us getting crazy every year and nutter every day.

The question everyone's afraid to ask is: has Obama really been circumcised, as he claims? Where's the proof?

Donald Trump has already sent private investigators to the white house to spy on him in the bathroom to find out... and he's shocked at what they are finding, or not finding

How the hell does it cause damage.

I know women who won't sleep with circumcised guys. Seems worth it to me.

I'd hate to know those women. I've never met a girl who cared. And if I ever do, she can get the **** out. Also, pulling the skin back when its erect makes it look the same anyway.

So hand on, the place is running a deficit running into the millions and they waste time on this stuff?

Basically, yes. Seems pretty silly, doesn't it?

guess we should ban giving babies vaccines too, since they don't have a choice in the matter, and it's painful.

One could potentially be life or death. The other is not.

One could potentially be life or death. The other is not.

I got chicken pox the old fashioned way (caught me before I was scheduled for a vaccine) and I'm just fine :)