Windows 8 install on VMWare problem

Has anybody had success installing Windows 8 Build 7955 on VMWare Workstation version 7.1.4. The install runs through fine, but after the final reboot I get the message "Your computer needs to restart. It encountered a problem and will restart automatically. Error 0x0000005c".

I've tried booting in safe mode to no avail, however as safe mode lists the drivers being loaded into memory it seems to crash on disk.sys. I've had a search round and can't seem to find a fix. I've changed the settings on the disk type in vmware but can't seem to get it running.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

post-189086-0-52196300-1303990349.jpg

Has anybody had success installing Windows 8 Build 7955 on VMWare Workstation version 7.1.4. The install runs through fine, but after the final reboot I get the message "Your computer needs to restart. It encountered a problem and will restart automatically. Error 0x0000005c".

I've tried booting in safe mode to no avail, however as safe mode lists the drivers being loaded into memory it seems to crash on disk.sys. I've had a search round and can't seem to find a fix. I've changed the settings on the disk type in vmware but can't seem to get it running.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

This is a known issue, so far I haven't read of any success's with VMWare, you need to install it on virtualbox.

This is a known issue, so far I haven't read of any success's with VMWare, you need to install it on virtualbox.

Thanks - I'll try that. Weird because I use VMware a lot for Win 2008 / 7 lab environments, and have never had this problem.

Search on Google for Install Windows 8 in VMWare and the top results will tell you it's impossible because VMWare doesn't support the required ACPI 2.0 specs.

You need to give it a try in VirtualBox, which is free, and you can search for tutorials on how to successfully install Win8 in VirtualBox too. ;)

That's why it wasn't working for me then. That needs to be changed though, either on the OS side or on VMware's side, Windows 8 NEEDS to run on VMs.

It does... on Virtual Box...

That needs to be changed though, either on the OS side or on VMware's side, Windows 8 NEEDS to run on VMs.

Well, VMWare has plenty of time to get an update out. Since it's not even technically in an actual Beta status yet, I'd say that they have plenty of time.