Sony Vaio Recovery

Hello,

I have a Sony Vaio SZ260p laptop.

I was in the recoery console and in the process to restore the laptop to the facotry defaiult settings, however I am getting an error 400 and it's unable to continue.

I am unable tocreate my recovery disks.

Any suggestions?

I have ran mem test, and everything seems to be fine.

Error 400 is an error code that only relates to bad RAM in the Sony documentation. Try running other, more thorough tests on your system to see if you can diagnose the problem.

If you're using <4GB of RAM, download and try the Windows Memory Diagnostic.

Also, if you're using multiple sticks, you could try taking out one and seeing if the problem goes away (and switching them if it doesn't)

What other memory tools can I use on the computer?

Try downloading a Linux CD. Based on the looks of it, you need the 32-bit edition. When you boot the CD, hit any key when it says "Automatic boot" and select Memtest.

Try downloading a Linux CD. Based on the looks of it, you need the 32-bit edition. When you boot the CD, hit any key when it says "Automatic boot" and select Memtest.

OP already used memtest, he's looking for alternative diagnostic tools/methods.

OP already used memtest, he's looking for alternative diagnostic tools/methods.

But I thought we already determined that this is a memory problem?

EDIT: Sorry, my error. I see...he already did use Memtest.

Hey Guys,

Just to give you an update.

I phoned Sony support today and they said it was an issue with the ram as well. So I went out and bought 2 new DDR2 modules. However, still no luck and I am getting the same error message. So I am not sure what is going on.

I don't have a recovery disk for this laptop. Do I need to be prucahse this thru Sony or can I get it elsewhere.

Thanks

Hey Guys,

I phoned Sony support today and they said it was an issue with the ram as well. So I went out and bought 2 new DDR2 modules. However, still no luck and I am getting the same error message. So I am not sure what is going on.

I don't have a recovery disk for this laptop. Do I need to be prucahse this thru Sony or can I get it elsewhere.

Thanks

As far as I'm aware, Sony don't issue recovery disks. You are prompted to create one when you first start your laptop but you could probably create one now as long as you haven't removed the recovery partition or deleted the Vaio software that came with your laptop.

Do you have a Windows CD at the least? Then you can just download drivers from Sony and put them on a flash drive.

If you're still getting that error, try putting just one stick of RAM in the computer. Try both slots. Maybe one or (hopefully not) both are faulty.

Could also just be an unrelated error entirely. If every issue that was marked as a memory error actually was a memory error, the RAM companies would be making a killing (more then they are now)

Do you have a Windows CD at the least? Then you can just download drivers from Sony and put them on a flash drive.

Best Idea

Hey Guys,

Thanks

Have you performed any HDD diagnostics? If not, you can use Seatools for DOS (burn the ISO version to a blank CD-R and perform a long test).

If the HDD has bad sectors, you'll need to replace it and purchase the recovery media from Sony. If it passes, just the recovery media (since Memtest already passed).