Mac OS X Lion to have native support for NTFS...

So was I wise or dumb to convert my 1tb usb drive to HFS so I can write to it on my mac? :p

Microsoft released an update for XP that adds support for exFAT, I keep it on a thumb stick so I can install it on any old XP system I come across.

Thanks. I was not aware of that.

1) We already have a thread for Mac OS X Lion related news.

2) Beyond the fact Disk Utility now identifies a drive as being formatted as NTFS under the "Erase" tab there's nothing new here.

Let me be clear on point #2: As it stands now Mac OS X Lion Build 11A444d does not provide native NTFS read/write support out of the box by default.

Pointless thread really.

Never say never. Your opinion does not equal fact.

Well you can be certain that support for them will never come with the OS itself. It always makes me laugh when Windows users expect everything else to be compatible with it and other Microsoft software, but never the other way around. Whether it's running applications through wine, supporting reading/writing its file systems (NTFS), or MS Office proprietary formats. When was the last time you saw Windows running Linux elf programs, accessing Ext4/ZFS partitions, or supporting ODF out of the box. Yeah right, never, and you never will. If we're talking levels of compatibility, Windows is the least compatible OS in existence.

Well you can be certain that support for them will never come with the OS itself. It always makes me laugh when Windows users expect everything else to be compatible with it and other Microsoft software, but never the other way around. Whether it's running applications through wine, supporting reading/writing its file systems (NTFS), or MS Office proprietary formats. When was the last time you saw Windows running Linux elf programs, accessing Ext4/ZFS partitions, or supporting ODF out of the box. Yeah right, never, and you never will. If we're talking levels of compatibility, Windows is the least compatible OS in existence.

Why would Windows want to run Linux programs...

Not built in of course, and I can't comment on how well they work (never had the need) but there are ways for Windows boxes to read Ext4 and HFS.

Even the available Ext3 file system drivers were unstable at the best of times, but Ext4 support is non-existent. In fact I tried an Ext3 FS driver in Windows and it trashed my whole file system. Besides, even those unstable drivers aren't available out of the box like NTFS support is in GNU/Linux. I can't comment on OS X because I rarely use it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Why would Windows want to run Linux programs...

Why would GNU/Linux want to run Windows programs...

Because Windows has a far better selection of programs maybe? Think Flawed.

Name one application which is not available for Windows but for linux, not any useless application, it should be something people really use.

you should update your trolling handbook...

post-62693-0-99439400-1304352712.png

Name one application which is not available for Windows but for linux, not any useless application, it should be something people really use.

GCC can be a pain to work with on Windows. Yes there are installer packages for it, but it isn't the same. That's why people end up using crap like DevC++ for college classes.

Dealing with linux development and administration is of course easier on linux than windows, but also easier with OSX because of the unix base. That's kind of important since linux is very very widely used on servers.

i was going to reply you, but i just realized that im feeding the troll.

When you find yourself lacking any sort of intelligent rebuttal simply throw out the old "troll" accusations.

GCC can be a pain to work with on Windows. Yes there are installer packages for it, but it isn't the same. That's why people end up using crap like DevC++ for college classes.

its not the same, or maybe not easy as linux version, but its still available on windows, isnt it? you are right on your case, but my main point is there is no special application for linux which is not ported or available to windows, so there is no need for windows to run linux applications or need special emulator ( like Wine ) to run linux applications, they are different OS and have different use.

When you find yourself lacking any sort of intelligent rebuttal simply throw out the old "troll" accusations.

Well it was more intelligent comment then yours. it makes some sense then your nonsense post.

When Microsoft open up the NTFS format for all to use, then Apple can fully support NTFS.

do you even hear what you're saying?!? LINUX has been able to fully support NTFS for ages now, so there's no reason why Apple shouldn't be able to

• Like 3

Well it's not really that important of a feature imho.

Yes it may make it easier for people who are using for example NTFS formatted USB drives but I can't remember the last time I personally ran into such a need, the exFAT support was considerably more important due to various cameras starting to employ it recently.

The NTFS support is pretty darn important if you use BootCamp (which a lot of Mac owners do use).

The NTFS support is pretty darn important if you use BootCamp (which a lot of Mac owners do use).

OR you could just use the HFS+ read/write driver that Boot Camp installs into Windows to share files over to your OS X partition instead of going the other way around. But I guess that makes too much sense.

do you even hear what you're saying?!? LINUX has been able to fully support NTFS for ages now, so there's no reason why Apple shouldn't be able to

Perhaps this is a difference that has more to do with licensing than it does to do with technical limitations. I don't know the logistics of it, but I'd say it's quite possible that Apple could be sued if they implemented native NTFS write without permission from Microsoft. The open source community might get away with it because they don't make money on OS sales, per say.

Yet surprisingly still holds the highest market share. :rolleyes:

I do not expect everyone to be compatible with 'Windows' but I do not see why people are unhappy for support for it, if you hate Microsoft that is your own damn problem, don't take your damn iHate out on others just because your OS won't have a high market share. :whistle:

you should update your trolling handbook...

That's Windows 7 only. Also, can it open my ODF spreadsheet? Or my ODF presentation? No. It's also limited to the 1.1 specification, and has only partial support.

The first one has a price tag, and the second isn't a file system driver. It's a utility. It's also not included in Windows out of the box like NTFS is included in GNU/LInux.

That's Windows 7 only. Also, can it open my ODF spreadsheet? Or my ODF presentation? No. It's also limited to the 1.1 specification, and has only partial support.

Do you mean OpenOffice or Libre? That's not part of Linux, just happens to be bundled out of the box with a lot of distros. If we're adding 3rd party software, then yes, so can Windows.

• Like 3

Do you mean OpenOffice or Libre? That's not part of Linux, just happens to be bundled out of the box with a lot of distros. If we're adding 3rd party software, then yes, so can Windows.

Every distro either comes with the Gnome office suite or Libre Office, so that's out of the box. The same as Wordpad on Windows. And even if you install Office 2010, it only supports version 1.1

One thing you're also overlooking, Flawed, is that anything that's in Windows is compatible with the 95% of other Windows machines in the world, so it basically has the highest compatibility, not the lowest. Someone sets up a committee and then says they should be the standard. :rolleyes: Well, too bad.

And, if you wanted to you can install the exact same program (Libre/Open Office) in Windows and have the same compatibility.

post-349724-0-91681600-1304338943.png

seems to detect NTFS but cannot format with it...

Snow Leopard Could Already "Detect" NTFS, see bottom part of this image...

post-125102-0-35266300-1304368813.png

Every distro either comes with the Gnome office suite or Libre Office, so that's out of the box. The same as Wordpad on Windows.

You don't really need me to explain this to you do you? GNU/Linux? Linux being the kernel, GNU being the GNU toolset? Everything else being third party. It's out of the box for some distros, added by a distro, it is not part of Linux. I could just as easily re-master a Windows disc that has OO installed and claim its part of Windows. Legal? No, but it's exactly the same thing. It is as much a part of Linux as Wine isn't.