Apple releases iOS 4.3.3

I honestly don't see the big deal around this issue. Using my public transport chip card I can be tracked as well by the transport authority and everyone able to hack it. Same goes for Google Latitude, Facebook Places etc. There are countless other ways you can be tracked, if only because there are security cameras everywhere in modern cities, buildings, roads and public transportation. Every call from a regular mobile phone can be triangulated and companies know exactly where you have been every time you use your credit/PIN card. People thinking they can't be tracked after installing this update are delirious.

Anyway, I saw the prompt in iTunes and updated my iPad 2 regardless.

What's the deal with the CDMA iP4? :s

also... I'm not gonna download and install and experience hassle with my jailbreak for such a non-update... actually, doesn't really earn the version jump.

GS:mac

Agreed, i'll stick to 4.3.2 this version is really pointless... IMO it was just released so apple has some form of backup in case they get sued, something like "yeah we USED to track your location, but not on 4.3.3"

I honestly don't see the big deal around this issue. Using my public transport chip card I can be tracked as well by the transport authority and everyone able to hack it. Same goes for Google Latitude, Facebook Places etc. There are countless other ways you can be tracked, if only because there are security cameras everywhere in modern cities, buildings, roads and public transportation. Every call from a regular mobile phone can be triangulated and companies know exactly where you have been every time you use your credit/PIN card. People thinking they can't be tracked after installing this update are delirious.

Anyway, I saw the prompt in iTunes and updated my iPad 2 regardless.

Transport authority has to know where you've been in order to charge you, but it only takes details about the stops you've been to, not exactly where you've gone.

Google Latitude and Facebook Places are entirely optional services, and subject to privacy settings.

Security cameras don't keep a permanent tracking record of anything. It's just video footage you can use to identify criminals if something is reported in the area.

Triangulation services are only accessible to a few people.

Your card company/bank know where you've been, not unspecified 'companies'. Again it's used more to find criminals who have stolen/cloned cards than trace your steps (unless you're a suspect ofc.)

There is no need for your phone to keep a constant log of where you've been. All the examples you've raised are entirely justified and only apply to specific circumstances.