aPad iRobot

The other day, I picked up a cheap knock off tablet from Craigslist (aPad iRobot 7 from what I can tell), and being that it is Chinese made, most of the software is Chinese based and otherwise pretty much low end. I knew this when walking into the purchase of the device because I was only buying it for very basic internet when I am working and need to set up an invoice quickly w/o having to go through some of my client's filtered internet which sometimes block my scripting on my billing software online.

With that said - it is a very interesting tablet running the Android 1.6 firmware. Touch screen isn't really that great and of course being a knock-off you get what you pay for. However, since I do have this device now and really can't take it back (Craigslist), I do want to maximize the potential of it. (Hey, I like maximizing the tech end of things even if they are underdogs).

I have tried messing with the firmware with custom firmware from Androidtablets.net and have not found too much in order to speed this up or at least enable it to connect to the official Android app store. I have been trying to find a way to 'associate' the device with the Android app store as quite frankly the one they include with the tablet just plain sucks. (appstoreconnect.com) and they have virtually no software.

Does anyone know of any fun things I can do with this? I have had some ideas of at least using it as a 'virtual' monitor of sorts with my Mac to push dashboard widgets or heck any internet based widget on it to monitor my web sites, maybe twitter, or other feeds.

I have also considered using it as an e-reader only for some books, and know I can get them from the Kindle store with the reader for Android, and even have gone to such ideas of turning it into some sort of control device for ???? Not sure really. Without being able to 'associate' it with the official Android app store, I am at a loss of some pretty great software that I am aware is out there. Or is there a legit/legal way of getting it to associate to the app store?

Anybody have any suggestions other than blending it, tossing it, turning it into a doorstop, drink coaster....etc?

You need to install gapps on the device. Check google for the package and see if you can push it to your phone with ADB.

Anybody?

Just do some Google searches dude. There are mods and things you can do with it but its not a real popular tab. XDA has NOTHING on this device at all. You also have to make sure you get the correct mod/rom for the model you have. Apparently there are several types of these tabs. If you are looking for a firmware update, you can DL those from the manufacturers website.