US used never-seen-before stealth choppers for Osama raid

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 macmax

macmax

Windows Freak

• 2,286 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 14:17

Washington: The elite US Navy SEALs team used top secret, never-seen-before stealth helicopters to swoop down on an unsuspecting Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden in his Abbottabad safe haven and shoot him dead.

One of the secret choppers was disabled during the raid by the SEALs, blowing it up in an apparent bid to ensure that the frontline technology did not fall into non-US hands, US media reports said.

Pentagon officials are still keeping mum on whether or not stealth choppers were used, but ABC news citing American aviators said that photos of what survived the explosion has sent military analysts buzzing about a stealth helicopter programme that was only rumoured to exist.

NDTV

#2 AllMac

AllMac

Legion

• 397 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 14:31

Yes...and part of it is on its way to China. Apparently this news didn't make some US officials happy.

#3 V9s

V9s

Neowinian

• 780 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 14:48

Yes...and part of it is on its way to China. Apparently this news didn't make some US officials happy.

It's being returned to the US.

#4 Frylock86

Frylock86

Stargate won't die!

• 2,895 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 14:50

Last I heard, it's still in Pakistani hands.

#5 bdsams

bdsams

Neowinian Senior

• 11,730 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 14:55

I am sure what is left of the copter is relatively minor to what actually makes it stealthy. Seals are not dumb, nor were the people planning this mission. I am sure they had a fail-safe in palce that if one went down..place explosives on X points to destroy all valuable parts.

#6 Frylock86

Frylock86

Stargate won't die!

• 2,895 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 14:57

Except the tail assembly went out of the compound was wasn't destroyed.

#7 Neo003

Neo003

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.

• 8,493 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 14:58

Is it really a good thing that it's been shot down in its first mission.

#8 alexalex

alexalex

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 14:59

To Chine and North Korea

#9 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• 2,603 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6, iPad Mini

Posted 05 May 2011 - 15:00

I am sure what is left of the copter is relatively minor to what actually makes it stealthy. Seals are not dumb, nor were the people planning this mission. I am sure they had a fail-safe in palce that if one went down..place explosives on X points to destroy all valuable parts.

All that really survived was the tail rotor...

From the images of the rest is looks like they used explosives ( probably something like wite phosphorus, that burns through metals ) to turn the rest in the little more than a pile or twisted metal..

Though I'm a little surprised in a mission like this why they didn't have a Chinook, or another heavy lift chopper that could just fly the disabled bird back to base (though maybe that would have been too much for one to carry... still seems like it would be a good idea in the long run to build a chopper that could lol )

#10 acnpt

acnpt

Neowinian Senior

• 5,843 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 15:14

Though I'm a little surprised in a mission like this why they didn't have a Chinook, or another heavy lift chopper

I'd guess a Chinook or heavy lift chopper going along kind of defeats the purpose of a stealth chopper.

#11 V9s

V9s

Neowinian

• 780 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 15:15

I am sure what is left of the copter is relatively minor to what actually makes it stealthy.

Not sure about that... stealth coatings are a major part of what makes an aircraft stealthy.

#12 macrosslover

macrosslover

Muad’Dib

• 3,124 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 15:17

Is it really a good thing that it's been shot down in its first mission.

Nobody knows if this is its first mission. The belief is that this chopper has been used for years. The helicopter in question wasn't shot down, it had a mechanical failure and had a hard landing and then they destroyed it on the ground.

#13 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 19,016 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 15:21

Most likely a variant of the supposedly cancelled MH-X Advanced Special Operations Helicopter. Best guess circulating the aviation blogs....larger than BlackHawk, low-noise/low-observable blades, angular features like F-117 with updated coatings etc.

Posted Image

#14 Singh400

Singh400

Neowinian Senior

• 5,839 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 15:27

Pics of the downed tail looks suspiciously like that. I'm not a big enough aero geek to go investigating more, but it's all very cool stuff.

#15 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

• 10,724 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 15:31

Probably had a malfunction on landing because it is new/prototype, and still has issues. The operation was a success though despite the huge explosion in the courtyard when the SEALs managed to blow (most of) it up. I'm sure the US would have given up a whole fleet of them to be able to kill Osama.