US used never-seen-before stealth choppers for Osama raid

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#16 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,273 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 15:38

Is it really a good thing that it's been shot down in its first mission.

I'm sure these have been used for years now.. and it wasn't shot down. Apparently the reports are that when it landed inside the compound, because of the high walls when it attempted to take back off, there was not enough area for the helicopter to create enough down force to get enough lift to get off the ground.

Probably had a malfunction on landing because it is new/prototype, and still has issues.

It's not a prototype, it's based on the Blackhawk, they have been used for years.

#17 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 15:42

I bet the military has a bunch of secret stuff (and probably has had for years) that we can only dream about.

#18 V9s

V9s

Neowinian

• 771 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 15:47

I bet the military has a bunch of secret stuff (and probably has had for years) that we can only dream about.

Yeap. The US military and Intelligence has a huge black budget for stuff like this.

#19 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• 6,705 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 15:55

It's not a prototype, it's based on the Blackhawk, they have been used for years.

Its not a BH. I have a friend that actually works at Sikorsky, and he says they have never built a BH that looks like that.

#20 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 15:58

Its not a BH. I have a friend that actually works at Sikorsky, and he says they have never built a BH that looks like that.

considering it is a top secret craft, if you friend had built a BH that looks like that, he wouldn't be able to tell you anyway.

#21 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 16:00

One thing about it, it's not a secret any more.

#22 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,726 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 16:05

I am sure what is left of the copter is relatively minor to what actually makes it stealthy. Seals are not dumb, nor were the people planning this mission. I am sure they had a fail-safe in palce that if one went down..place explosives on X points to destroy all valuable parts.

yeah they did blow it up after it crashed to destroy it

they've always said the military is 20yrs ahead of what we see...

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,403 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 May 2011 - 16:05

It wasn't shot down, the tail hit the wall during landing and the helo couldn't take off again, so they blew it up.

as for first mission, I believe there was a statement from some US governemtn that said they didn't want to comment on the helicopter but it had been on numerous successful missions before. The only reason we even know it exist is because the tail survived. So if it hadn't crashed, you wouldn't have known it existed (if it does). So just because one crashed now isn't enough to claim it was the first mission, which it most likely wasn't, you don't send unproven equipment on a job like this.

#24 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,726 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 16:06

it wasn't shot down, it had a hard landing, apparently it was overheating due to the conditions that night

#25 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,403 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 May 2011 - 16:11

Not sure about that... stealth coatings are a major part of what makes an aircraft stealthy.

for helicopters there are other things that are far more important, mainly the rotors. since rotors by their very design are anti stealthy.

considering it is a top secret craft, if you friend had built a BH that looks like that, he wouldn't be able to tell you anyway.

More imrpotantly it might not even have been built there, since it supposedly based on the Blackhawk, the few models in use may be built at specialized secret labs using Black Hawk chassi. Afterall you don't build top secret stuff where you build your regulr run of the mill military gear :)

#26 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• 6,705 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 16:13

He would.

That it was modified off site is much more likely. Or that it was never a BlackHawk, but something else.

#27 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• 2,427 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, iPad Mini

Posted 05 May 2011 - 16:15

I'd guess a Chinook or heavy lift chopper going along kind of defeats the purpose of a stealth chopper.

They only need that for the initial surprise.. Once they started shooting they could bring in just about anything that could have been trailing back..

#28 ylcard

ylcard

Déu

• 3,041 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 16:17

How is "stealh" defined here ? Not alerting the humans of their presence ? If so, then it's not much of a stealth chopper, as that dude that blogged/tweeted about the whole thing had heard it.

#29 Frylock86

Frylock86

Stargate won't die!

• 2,895 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 16:18

Posted Image

:whistle:

#30 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,460 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 16:21

If only :p