US used never-seen-before stealth choppers for Osama raid

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,271 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 16:28

How is "stealh" defined here ? Not alerting the humans of their presence ? If so, then it's not much of a stealth chopper, as that dude that blogged/tweeted about the whole thing had heard it.

Actually the neighbours reported that they didn't hear the helicopter untill it was right above them. which as far as helicopters go si pretty damn stealthy on the sound front. especially for something int he size class (and probably built off of) of a BlackHawk.

But since it was used to enter another country without asking first, Radar stealth is probably more important in the big picture.

#32 ylcard

ylcard

Déu

• 3,041 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 16:37

Actually the neighbours reported that they didn't hear the helicopter untill it was right above them. which as far as helicopters go si pretty damn stealthy on the sound front. especially for something int he size class (and probably built off of) of a BlackHawk.

But since it was used to enter another country without asking first, Radar stealth is probably more important in the big picture.

Haven't thought that through :p
The radar bit makes more sense than the noise-level when talking about military operations in foreign countries.

Everytime I was near a chopper in the army I couldn't stand the noise, even when it's way up there it makes so much noise that I could barely hear those near me, sort of like when a truck/bus goes right near you :)
So I guess 'stealth" is a bit streching it, but it seems that it's much quieter than the regular choppers.

#33 V9s

V9s

Neowinian

• 764 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 18:03

How is "stealh" defined here ? Not alerting the humans of their presence ? If so, then it's not much of a stealth chopper, as that dude that blogged/tweeted about the whole thing had heard it.

:laugh:

Stealth means evading radar.

#34 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,277 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 18:07

I always thought stealth meant radar signatures where diminished, not its quite, you know how loud the Stealth bomber and fighter are?

#35 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• 5,270 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 18:13

Stealth means radar detection .Abc news though had the sound from a regular version and the sound from one of these (this stealth chopper has actually been demonstrated before) and its much quieter.

#36 Tony.

Tony.

Neowinian Senior

• 6,908 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 18:17

There was a video not long ago with a helicopter with modified rotor blades which had special fins on the end, it was stupidly quiet, at least, compared to it's original noise levels. If the same rotor blades were used with stealth material, then it's definitely something new. Also, just because they put some stealth parts doesn't mean it's stealth, I'm pretty sure the design has to be hard ridged edges/flat panels for it to be very effective. A Blackhawk is too round, so if it was something similar, then chances are, it was a new kind of Blackhawk with the designs similar to this:

Posted Image

See what I mean about the flat planels and hard edges? It's not a cosmetic thing, it's quite vital.

#37 Un4given

Un4given

Neowinian

• 141 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 18:20

Everytime I was near a chopper in the army I couldn't stand the noise, even when it's way up there it makes so much noise that I could barely hear those near me, sort of like when a truck/bus goes right near you :)
So I guess 'stealth" is a bit streching it, but it seems that it's much quieter than the regular choppers.

I love the sounds of helicopters. I especially love standing under the blades while they are spinning up on the flight deck! Love my job too much lol.

#38 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,277 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 18:22

man when they said blew up the helicopter they really meant it, this is what was left of it inside the walls....

Attached Images

• Stealth helicopter 3.jpg

#39 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 18:24

Wow, there's nothing there but pieces. :D

#40 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,277 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 18:27

Wow, there's nothing there but pieces. :D

they have pretty good demo skills... minus the piece they couldn't get outside the wall

#41 ylcard

ylcard

Déu

• 3,041 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 18:30

:laugh:

Stealth means evading radar.

Well yeah :)
But all it takes is one person to hear said chopper and it wouldn't matter if it's on a radar or not, right ?

#42 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,053 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 18:36

I love the sounds of helicopters. I especially love standing under the blades while they are spinning up on the flight deck! Love my job too much lol.

It's all good unless it's an MH-53 and you are 50 feet out.. the down force wash is 100mph +

#43 V9s

V9s

Neowinian

• 764 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 18:37

But all it takes is one person to hear said chopper and it wouldn't matter if it's on a radar or not, right ?

It would. You need a good radar signature to target the helicopter with missiles (SAM or A2A missiles).

#44 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,053 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 18:38

But by the time you actually hear it, your reaction time is cut to only a minute or two.. so it's too late to react and attempt any type of mounted/organized defense...

#45 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

Mississippian by birth and by choice

• 12,943 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 18:45

they have pretty good demo skills... minus the piece they couldn't get outside the wall

Yes, these are Navy SEALs we are talking about here. If they had the time, you wouldn't even have seen that much of it, it would have looked like someone blew up a few hundred garbage bags full of soda cans. The fact that even that much remained is evidence that they were in a hurry to get the hell out of there.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!