Samsung Galaxy S II

I'm seriously considering getting the 4G version of this phone, however, the WVGA screen really has me worried. I absolutely love the HD screen on the Galaxy Nexus but overall I feel the S2 4G is a better phone. So to the guys who own (or have owned) a S2 (or even a S2 4G if someone has one) how do you find the screen? do you feel it holds back the phone or is it good enough? I'm currently on a HTC Desire. I plan on going to Androidland tomorrow to upgrade [my 24 month contract about to expire], so any quick replys (if possible) would be apreciated!

I'm using the international s2. The colours are vivid and the blacks are black! I find the resolution doesn't really hold it back.

I'm using the international s2. The colours are vivid and the blacks are black! I find the resolution doesn't really hold it back.

Cool :) thanks!

What do you mean communication from Samsung? You can get the latest ICS roms here: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1544487

I think he is referring to Samsung dragging their heals with the official ICS update. I believe they are rolling it out now but they took their sweet time and didn't do much in informing customers what was going on. S2 4G owners (which I might be soon) have to wait longer to get the official build of ICS, Samsung have said nothing on when that is getting it....

As good as the XDA community is, it's bad for a company to rely (intentionally or not) on the community to update their devices. Shows a lack of commitment and lack of care for their customers.

Why is it so hard for people to realise that us nerds are in a minority. Samsung don't make their money from nerds. They make it from general everyday consumers. ICS to them is nothing, they don't know, they don't care.

I think he is referring to Samsung dragging their heals with the official ICS update. I believe they are rolling it out now but they took their sweet time and didn't do much in informing customers what was going on. S2 4G owners (which I might be soon) have to wait longer to get the official build of ICS, Samsung have said nothing on when that is getting it....

As good as the XDA community is, it's bad for a company to rely (intentionally or not) on the community to update their devices. Shows a lack of commitment and lack of care for their customers.

I thought they did good most phones didn't get the update.

What do you mean communication from Samsung? You can get the latest ICS roms here: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1544487

Thing is - wont that brand my phone as O2, where at the moment its XEU (Unlocked/Unbranded) ?

What i was trying to get at was, that so many people on forums have tried to talk to them, email them, tweet them etc with no reply...thats not good from a company which makes a brilliant product - So far only 3 network has the update so far..

Also, i sent them a message about an error message on Samsung Kies (Worst phone software ever!) and they didnt even know what the issue was - told me to uninstall/reinstall - clearly not reading i had tried it on multiple PCs/OS's with the same message....frustrating!!

I'm seriously considering getting the 4G version of this phone, however, the WVGA screen really has me worried. I absolutely love the HD screen on the Galaxy Nexus but overall I feel the S2 4G is a better phone. So to the guys who own (or have owned) a S2 (or even a S2 4G if someone has one) how do you find the screen? do you feel it holds back the phone or is it good enough? I'm currently on a HTC Desire. I plan on going to Androidland tomorrow to upgrade [my 24 month contract about to expire], so any quick replys (if possible) would be apreciated!

Planning to do the exact opposite: selling my sgs2 to for a galaxy nexus. Even 4 months after the official release of ICS, we still have a very buggy build of ICS released thus far. ICS itself is buggy, but with all the crap that Samsung adds in, the performance hit and lost battery life hasn't made it work upgrading so far. Not to mention that I am losing patience with Samsung's antics of trying to delay the ICS release potentially until they are ready to launch SGS3 next month.

I'm not the average user who upgrades their phone every 2 years when their contract is up, so I just feel the nexus is going to give the most benefit for having longterm support and updates.

Why is it so hard for people to realise that us nerds are in a minority. Samsung don't make their money from nerds. They make it from general everyday consumers. ICS to them is nothing, they don't know, they don't care.

We may be a minority, but we still have a powerful influence over determining whether a phone will succeed or not. Who do you think writes comprehensive phone reviews on tech blogs? Nerds.

But you are right, many average consumers is simply ignorant enough to not even know that their phone can be updated at all and assume what they get out of the box is what they get for the life of the product.

Planning to do the exact opposite: selling my sgs2 to for a galaxy nexus. Even 4 months after the official release of ICS, we still have a very buggy build of ICS released thus far. ICS itself is buggy, but with all the crap that Samsung adds in, the performance hit and lost battery life hasn't made it work upgrading so far. Not to mention that I am losing patience with Samsung's antics of trying to delay the ICS release potentially until they are ready to launch SGS3 next month.

I'm not the average user who upgrades their phone every 2 years when their contract is up, so I just feel the nexus is going to give the most benefit for having longterm support and updates.

We may be a minority, but we still have a powerful influence over determining whether a phone will succeed or not. Who do you think writes comprehensive phone reviews on tech blogs? Nerds.

But you are right, many average consumers is simply ignorant enough to not even know that their phone can be updated at all and assume what they get out of the box is what they get for the life of the product.

I ended up doing the opposite to what I said :p ended up with the Galaxy Nexus (I did played around with the S2 4G, but that HD screen and vanilla ICS on the Nexus won me over) love it :happy:

Just had a chance to play with this phone.

Tried updating the firmware through Kies and had a hell of a hard time connecting.

Had to plug and unplug many times for the software to connect.

If I ever get a Samsung phone I will be sure to install a custom ROM immediately :p

Don't want to rely on buggy Kies for f/w updates and don't want to sign up for some Samsung account for OTA update.

• 3 weeks later...

Just switched to this phone recently.

Rooted and flashed cm9 before putting my SIM card in, no Kies for me.

I'm missing the notification LED on the Desire, got BLN to replace that but I still prefer a little blinking diode :p

The audio is also of poorer quality compared to Desire, it sounded flat to me.

Flashed the Beats Audio libs, not that flat anymore but still not as layered as Desire.

Feels like the sound has lost a dimension, the depth is not there.

Maybe I put more different music in there and listen more.

Other than that, the screen and camera are upgrades compared to the Desire's.

Are you using the stock earphones? They're pants (expected :p). I use Ultimate Ears E100 and have rather decent sound but I'm upgrading to the S3 next month (review to come :p) and that has the Wolfson DAC so I am expecting absolutely epic sound quality!

• 4 weeks later...

Are you using the stock earphones? They're pants (expected :p). I use Ultimate Ears E100 and have rather decent sound but I'm upgrading to the S3 next month (review to come :p) and that has the Wolfson DAC so I am expecting absolutely epic sound quality!

Can't wait for the review!!!