Samsung Galaxy S II

Love the photos :D

Samsung Galaxy S II is the phone I recommend to friends when they don't want an iPhone

That is a very nice phone, I just recently bought an LG E900 Optimus 7 but the GSII is so awesome (Though not available here yet).

I am keen on this phone, but am curious to see any nighttime shots using the LED flash - any chance?

Thanks

Can do, tonight!

I like what Samsung have done with calls in the background, full control from the noti-bar!

sgs2_call.png

Oh, and I'm on 19% battery now since this morning, current running time since full charge is 14 hours.

Today i have watched an hour's worth of TV (mkv/iPlayer), Watched several youtubes, streamed some music, made approx 20mins of calls, checked emails, Bookfaced, Played Wordfeud throughout, updated apps, browsed the Market, uploaded stuff to my website over the air, administered the phone and tweaked stuff around....and more.

The display ontime is listed as 3hours 6mins.

I do like! My HTC Desire would go down faster with that kind of heavy usage.

Great review! I'm wanting to upgrade my Desire so your review really related to me, I was thinking about getting one before but now I more than likely will.

Good to hear that it doesn't die as quickly, that's the worst thing about my Desire.

I also like that you can control calls from the notification bar, it's all the little things like that that make a good phone great.

Looks amazing.

It's super slim and shiny. Appearance gets an A+.

Specs are amazing, got to love that Super AMOLED screen and that 8MP camera.

Look great. And you can already see from the pictures that the screen is amazing.

It's too bad though that you have to go through all that to get rid of crappy samsung customizations (remove their apps, lockscreen, and launcher, but I agree 100% that the stock samsung ones just sock).

May I ask what keyboard I can see in the pictures? hehe

I didn't forget about the flash camera samples either :p

2 pics each, one with flash, one without. ISO was set to 500 or auto.

2011-05-09%2023.08.30.jpg

2011-05-09%2023.08.19.jpg

2011-05-09%2022.53.59.jpg

2011-05-09%2022.53.42.jpg

2011-05-09%2022.56.54.jpg

2011-05-09%2022.56.40.jpg

2011-05-09%2023.03.18.jpg

2011-05-09%2023.03.29.jpg

2011-05-09%2023.07.23.jpg

2011-05-09%2023.07.33.jpg

As you can see, the flash is just a high powered LED, similar to the ones you get in Cree powered torches. It's not ideal as a flash and unlike many Sony Ericsson phones isn't close to the quality of a Xenon flash but thankfully the no flash pictures come out excellent anyway so the need for flash would be far and between for most people.

Wow, very good review. Makes me want to leave my iPhone 4 for one :p

I had the Galaxy S Captivate (Rogers Wireless) and I liked the phone. As that one picture shows, the SAMOLED screens have the best contrast by far. The blacks are unparalleled to anything I've seen.

I still think Android is too fragmented in terms of updates and carriers. That's the only thing I have against it... I have to wait for another upgrade, but I'm on Telus now it should be easier, their customer service is better lol

11: Samsung's T9 dialler is very nice but when using the search function it only lists the first number for a contact if they have more than 1 applied to their card, this is an issue because you can't click them in the search result and view other numbers, it immediately starts dialling that one number instead

Did you settle with the Dialer one theme? It looks out of place comparing to the stock dialer in terms of look , i know its more powerful but is it possible to change its look to make it look like the stock dialer? please let me know. thanks

I use Dialer One yes but I use the built in black theme. Currently it has black and light theme but other diallers exist on the Market that are closer to the stock dialler's look and feel!

I use Dialer One yes but I use the built in black theme. Currently it has black and light theme but other diallers exist on the Market that are closer to the stock dialler's look and feel!

i searched in app market , decent dialers are go contacts and Dialer one but i'm reluctant to use them because of their interface that is no where near as clean as samsungs :(. I have contacts with 6-7 numbers and it will be annoying .

Will do after work! (daylight pics)

Folder organisation is in GoLauncher only. I think TouchWhiz (stock) has it too but never used it. Will check in a minute.

Edit* Yes it does but the folders are like standard Android folders so are ugly in look and feel:

snap20110510_145241.png

snap20110510_145233.png

i searched in app market , decent dialers are go contacts and Dialer one but i'm reluctant to use them because of their interface that is no where near as clean as samsungs :(. I have contacts with 6-7 numbers and it will be annoying .

I found a solution! I was playing around and when you T9 search a contact:, click on the down arrow on the right of the number field so it lists that one number (as mentioned earlier) and then click on that number that it shows, you will then be presented with all numbers for that contact.

This seems kind of illogical compared to teh other stuff Samsung has implemented in other areas of the phone but it's a solution I guess.

Now the 2nd part of this problem still remains, when T9 searching using the above you still can't view the contact card for the contact and the only way to view the contact card is by going into the contacts tab, scrolling or searching to the contact from there.

I like to be able to T9 search a contact in the dialler then click on them and see their card immediately (as with HTC Sense/Dialer One) so will be sticking with Dialer One.

I didn't forget about the flash camera samples either :p

2 pics each, one with flash, one without. ISO was set to 500 or auto.

2011-05-09%2023.08.30.jpg

2011-05-09%2023.08.19.jpg

2011-05-09%2022.53.59.jpg

2011-05-09%2022.53.42.jpg

2011-05-09%2022.56.54.jpg

2011-05-09%2022.56.40.jpg

2011-05-09%2023.03.18.jpg

2011-05-09%2023.03.29.jpg

2011-05-09%2023.07.23.jpg

2011-05-09%2023.07.33.jpg

As you can see, the flash is just a high powered LED, similar to the ones you get in Cree powered torches. It's not ideal as a flash and unlike many Sony Ericsson phones isn't close to the quality of a Xenon flash but thankfully the no flash pictures come out excellent anyway so the need for flash would be far and between for most people.

Nice picture ;-)

I do hope in many scene we no need flash ;-P

heard that the led flash of sgs2 is yellowish & can cause the photo taken tend to be yellowish/ greenish, especially on human face/skin.

did you try to take portrait shot? how is it?