How is your iphone battery life?

well i think ive cracked it!

its microsoft exchange email thats causing it!

based on the fact that in the last few days ive up and downloaded 500mb!

Crikey, how much large size email do you get!?

I just got an iphone4 and find the battery dies before the end of my shift (5pm) and thats just not nice :s

is that normally or do i have a dud?

Holy crap ... mine will go a day and a half with brightness up almost full. And mine's not brand new. Make sure you double tap the home button and check you don't have 50 apps raping your battery !!! lol

Battery life? Max 10 hours on stand by, iPhone 3GS 16GB (JB).

I always close all apps when I used them and wifi is turned off, as well as 3G, locations and push notifications. Also spotlight search is disabled.

All these things disabled should extend battery life, but it gets worse every time I upgrade my phone to a new OS.

The iPhone is really nice, works great, but next to the limitations (luckily there is the JB option!!) the battery life is a big minus.

I paid my phone 650? so I ain't going to buy a phone again soon, I try to make it last a long time and not just 1 year as with my other phones I owned (how funny is this, 7 phones owned and I'm 18 ...).

So I hope the battery will last for some years :p

I generally get a day and a half out of my battery (from 100% to ~5%). This is with 3G, WiFi, Location Services and 15min email pulls. Obviously it fluctuates depending on how much I used it but standby keeps my iPhone 4 going at a tasty 32 hours. If I turned off everything then it'd last for ~5 days from last full cycle - I tested this when I went to Belgium back in February and didn't want to get hit with data roaming charges.

The iPhone is really nice, works great, but next to the limitations (luckily there is the JB option!!) the battery life is a big minus.

You're going to find that kind of battery life on any smartphone that has a lot of background services running. The more you turn off, the longer the battery generally lasts.

Do the following mate, should help.

Double click on the home button, now there will be loads of apps, hold down on one and then they'll start to wiggle, also top left there is a close button (like no entry) close all of those apps. There left open because of the multitasking and I always keep my closed.

Because there still 'running' that'll most likely be why the battery is draining.

Get in the habbit of closing them all the time.

See how it goes.

My phone currently is at 84%, usuage 1 hour, 32 minutes - Standby 23hours and 43 minutes

I can't be bothered to explain why but that is absolute crap. They don't run in the background the way Android apps run in the background.

I can't be bothered to explain why but that is absolute crap. They don't run in the background the way Android apps run in the background.

Seeing as you couldn't be arsed to spent 3 minutes saying it, I will for you:

iPhone Multitasking isn't true multitasking in the sense that apps are constantly running in the background. Instead, they work like emulator save-states. When you exit an app that supports 'Multitasking' it saves the current state and exits. When you open up the app again, it loads that state so you don't have to start with a fresh process. While this does not waste battery on the same levels as true multitasking, it still reduces battery life due to the requirement of having a save-state in the first place.

To be honest, I've never noticed a difference as these states aren't massive.

Seeing as you couldn't be arsed to spent 3 minutes saying it, I will for you:

iPhone Multitasking isn't true multitasking in the sense that apps are constantly running in the background. Instead, they work like emulator save-states. When you exit an app that supports 'Multitasking' it saves the current state and exits. When you open up the app again, it loads that state so you don't have to start with a fresh process. While this does not waste battery on the same levels as true multitasking, it still reduces battery life due to the requirement of having a save-state in the first place.

To be honest, I've never noticed a difference as these states aren't massive.

I am busy, <Snipped>.

Anyway, I will add that whilst it's true they're in 'save states', certain processes can still be running (push notifications etc.) so they're not completely disabled whilst they're in the background. However, they use it minimal battery compared to the mechanism Android uses.

Long-story short, if you're the sort of person who obsessively removes all open 'background apps' from an iPhone, you're an idiot. Apple aren't stupid, they're waited a very long time before introducing multitasking so they would get it right.

Edited by nabz0r
That wasn's so cool!

Battery life? Max 10 hours on stand by, iPhone 3GS 16GB (JB).

[?]

I will completely agree here that the battery is its biggest limitation.

However, 10 hours on standby with all these things disabled? You must have a problem with it.

Here?s my regular day : I turn it on at 7 AM. While on the bus, I listen to music for an hour and a half (back and forth). At school, I view emails for 20 minutes, use Safari a lot, text a couple of friends, and leave it on standby all the time. Then at night, I receive a few SMS or 1-2 calls and if I go somewhere I don?t know too much I use Google Maps + GPS functions. Then I come back home, plug it in until it?s charged at 80-100% (usually 90%). Then I go to bed at 12 AM or 1 AM, watch a few videos on YouTube for about half an hour, turn it off for the night and sleep.

I only have Bluetooth disabled, a few Spotlight services and sometimes the WiFi. Its life is way more than 10 hours here?

I have an original 3G, it tends to last 3-4 days on a charge.

However, sometimes the battery will just 'die' for no apparent reason - the phone will switch off, and when I switch it back on it'll say there's 1% battery and I need to connect it. >.>

Stupid thing. :laugh:

I have an original 3G, it tends to last 3-4 days on a charge.

However, sometimes the battery will just 'die' for no apparent reason - the phone will switch off, and when I switch it back on it'll say there's 1% battery and I need to connect it. >.>

Stupid thing. :laugh:

3-4 days - with very little use. You forgot to mention that.

Just on standby with wifi and bluetooth off but mobile signal on, all apps closed I can get 3 days from mine, probably more if I actually tested it....which tbh I think is pretty damn good.

Even usage in the day, calls txts mobile browsing, facebook, a game here or there I can still get 2 days.

Heavy usage if I play games a lot or something then a day.

The best thing is to close apps fully from the multitasking menu if you know you're not gonna use them again, most of the time I only have Phone, SMS and FB open in there.

well i think ive cracked it!

its microsoft exchange email thats causing it!

based on the fact that in the last few days ive up and downloaded 500mb!

Wow, I wonder what exchange was doing to have downloaded that much?

Really good since the last update.

I went to Varadero 2 weeks ago and since they are using 220volts instead of 120volts and there was no usb port around i could not charge it. Used it around 4 hours on plane and airport and used it couple of times in the weeks i was there. The battery was still good when i got home.

[edit]

oups sorry i thought you meant ipod and not iphone. Dunno about iphone.

i usually get a day out of mine, never turn it off, wake up at 7:30 with alarm, check fb and emails, send a few texts, throughout the day check FB, sickipedia, maybe browse on tvcatchup.com, all during work/lunch. then text and sickipedia when i get home and go bed at 12. throughout the day i probably send about 100-150 texts. its on 39% atm. with wifi 3g and data on.

never usually have wifi on though.

i've jb'd it and turn 3g off and data off unless i am browsing fb and the internet. so for about 60% of the day its sat on stanby with no data/edge and no 3g activated.

Plug it in and charge it every single night :)

Do the following mate, should help.

Double click on the home button, now there will be loads of apps, hold down on one and then they'll start to wiggle, also top left there is a close button (like no entry) close all of those apps. There left open because of the multitasking and I always keep my closed.

Because there still 'running' that'll most likely be why the battery is draining.

Get in the habbit of closing them all the time.

See how it goes.

My phone currently is at 84%, usuage 1 hour, 32 minutes - Standby 23hours and 43 minutes

Completely agree, this myth was busted all around the web, apps in background in iOS are on "stand by" and not running (Except those with push such as whatsapp, msn, emails and IF they're enabled). I NEVER ever close my background apps. The only time I do so is when i've too many apps running and scrolling in between them is just annoying.

Also i've noticed the following on battery life

iPhone 3Gs 16GB from 3.2.1 JB + U ->>> 4.3.2 JB + Unlock

iPhone 4 16gb 4.0.1 JB + unlock ->>>> 4.3.2 jb + unlock

Around 50% at the end of the day on the iPhone 3gs with moderate texting and lite browsing. On the iphone 4, after heavy texting (Whatsapp, msn), some phone, lite browsing. 70ish

Also unless needed, I just disable 3g... it just drains battery far to quick in ANY device.

Location services - off, only when needed.

Push - allow only my applications

check email every 30 min / manually

In both cases, battery improved, However, after scouring the web, some Jailbroken-only-apps do ruin battery life so be sure to check you're jailbroken apps don't break your phone.

ALSO... important, after upgrading, if you had a jail broken or unlocked phone and then backed up BEFORE doing the restore ( iTune does this automatically) And after you upgrade, iTunes says "restore content from back up", you must click no, because it might import jailbroken settings / unlock settings from the previous JB and cause serious issues, which is why some people say their battery life magically improves after doing a clean restore.

Updated to 4.2.8 yesterday. Went to bed with a 90% charge. Woke up with under 15% left. :/

Must have been some kind of fluke. I'm on day 3 of this charge with about 40% left. I run WiFi only most of the time and turn BT on when I'm in the car.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 16GB iPhone 4. How long the battery charge last depends on what I have been doing on my iphone. I never make voice calls (I'm hearing impaired) but I make lots of SMS. I play games on it (Infinitiy Blade being the latest game I bought), browse news.com.au, watch YouTube.

Ususally it lasts 4-5 days if I am not doing anything much other than SMS. I always plug it into my desktop PC to charge like it is doing right now.

Mine lasts about 9-10 hours if I don't use my car charger. I do a massive amount of voice calls and mails on my iPhone causing its battery to drain. The 'bad' use of the battery (charge it whenever I can) will have also caused it to weaken and therefore drain faster. Ah well, the car charger has saved me.

Always have 3g and data disabled, along with wifi. Screen at half brightness. Lasts for days on end, new iphone4 white 32gb that is. Tons of textage, not that many calls. :)