What's the best FPS you can buy off Steam?

CS:S or Team Fortress 2 ~

Actually they aren't exactly modern... but addicting? hell yes ; )

(I hear Killing Floor is not bad either)

Single player or MP?

Half-Life 2 plus episodes 1 and 2 for SP and/or Portal 1 and 2

MP wise I'd go for TF2 or CoD Black Ops (or CS:S if you want to go oldschool but you'll probably find most players still on that game are veterans and very, very good)

If it's cheap enough then get the DLC as well. Although personally I would also go for Battlefield BC2, best MP game I've played in a while. Black Ops is fun, but for me short lived.

AStaley.

Its too bad you didnt ask 2 days ago, most Battlefield games were on sale on Steam. Bad Company 2 was $7 by itself.

I myself bought it and so far I'm enjoying it, although I'm getting owned pretty badly (my only other online FPS being CoD, its almost as if I was a beginner to the entire genre).

Black Ops isnt really worth the money unless all you wanna do is run around and kill people.

Bad Company 2 with Vietnam Expansion

then

Crysis 2

These are IMO the two best FPS games to come out as of late. CoD Black Ops is also a pretty good dame, but I cannot speak on the state of the MP of it on PC as I played it on the 360 when I did play it, and those two games above I have indeed played on PC.

BC2 is on sale as was noted. also get Black Ops (boycotted but admittedly a good game), FEAR2 and Borderlands. you will thank me for Borderlands in particular.

Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition for ?5.99. It's not what you call 'graphically modern' but at that cost take a gamble and I promise you won't regret it. It is though, seriously addictive.

Counter Strike: Source but not Team Fortress 2 - TF2 turned into a fashion game due to Valve's genius.

TF2 is great, just ignore the item purchasing and hats crap. No one forces you to do any of that. If you want some decent servers search for "LotusClan"

Borderlands is an awesome game, especially co-op with friends. Bad Company 2 as said above is really fun. Section 8 Prejudice is a steal for the $15 they are charging for it. The Serious Sam HD remakes are great looking and support 16 player co-op (in addition to DM etc). Shattered Horizon is amazing looking, but has very few players online sadly.

Brink is out on Friday (europe) and out in USA now I believe and its made by Bethseda if you want to take a gander.

Did you read my first post, bro?