25 billion downloads from Google Play Store, discounts aplenty!

The number, type and quality of apps available for each of the mobile platforms help consumers decide what phone they will purchase. The introduction of Apple’s Apps Store for iOS in July 2008 changed the mobile environment, delivering apps in numbers that hadn’t been seen previously. Google followed suit soon after with Android Market, now known as Google Play Store, in October 2008.

Google has recently announced that their Play Store has now hit the magical number of 25 billion downloads over 675,000 apps. Quite the milestone! So what are Google doing to celebrate? They are giving something back, with discounts being offered across a number of different apps from some of the top developers, including Rovio, EA and Gameloft.

Starting yesterday, the selected apps will all be available for just 25 cents. In addition, a collection of 25 must own movies, 25 banned books, 25 albums, and 25 top selling magazines will all be offered at special prices. You can see where they're going with the numbering here.

Google are keeping up with Apple’s App Store; in June, Apple reached the 30 billion mark over 650,000 apps. So for Google to be able to keep up, even though they launched the Android Market  3 months after the Apps Store, is an achievement in itself. During those three months, the App Store grew to 7500 apps with 200,000 downloads. I don’t think I’ll embarrass Microsoft by posting their numbers!

So, if you’re an Android user, jump onto the store and see if you can bag yourself a bargain.

Source and Image: Official Android Blog

Report a problem with article
Previous Story

From the Forums: Where will smartphones be in five years time?

Next Story

Nokia Lumia 820 & 920 priced in Europe, coming in November

21 Comments

Commenting is disabled on this article.

Problem is, just like the apps in itunes. 99% of the apps suck or are garbage and there is an app that does it better with more features or is free. Leaving the other 1% of the apps to be the best and actually work, even if they cost something. So the number means nothing.

Also "App downloads", so every time I uninstall an app and reinstall it, or get a new device and install an app it counts at a download? And how about the countless times we have all downloaded 10 apps that do the same thing, searching for that 1% app that works how we want it to.

The downloaded apps number means nothing either...

xendrome said,
Problem is, just like the apps in itunes. 99% of the apps suck or are garbage and there is an app that does it better with more features or is free. Leaving the other 1% of the apps to be the best and actually work, even if they cost something. So the number means nothing.

Also "App downloads", so every time I uninstall an app and reinstall it, or get a new device and install an app it counts at a download? And how about the countless times we have all downloaded 10 apps that do the same thing, searching for that 1% app that works how we want it to.

The downloaded apps number means nothing either...

If you install an app its automatically tied to your google account and only counted once regardless of how many times you install it

I just checked on the Play Store and for me the applications are being offered for 0.25 CHF. Does this mean that those applications are available for 0.25, regardless of the currency you're working in?

InsaneNutter said,
Yup there 25p in the UK, 25 cents in the US.

25 euro cents here.
Asphalt 7 and the Office Suite Pro are nice additions to the Nexus 7

Disappointing selection in the app 75% off department. Don't want to buy any of the apps there, even with the low price.

Pupik said,
Disappointing selection in the app 75% off department. Don't want to buy any of the apps there, even with the low price.

A couple of the apps were only 69p to begin with too LOL.

watchthisspace said,
That's awesome of Google

Yea awesome that they are not free. Skipping this crap on my Android tablet. More ways Google still rakes in $$$.

NeoPogo said,

Yea awesome that they are not free. Skipping this crap on my Android tablet. More ways Google still rakes in $$$.

seriously? 25 cents is still too expensive? Amazing

Spyder said,
seriously? 25 cents is still too expensive? Amazing

Even if the apps were completely free people still find ways to complain. Look at the Amazon Appstore as an example.

NeoPogo said,

Yea awesome that they are not free. Skipping this crap on my Android tablet. More ways Google still rakes in $$$.


wow someone is bitter