Android 5.0 coming to Galaxy S4, reports suggest

The recently unveiled Samsung Galaxy S4 is rumoured to be among a small number of Android devices to get early access to version 5.0 of the mobile OS, named 'Key Lime Pie'.

SamMobile reports that a select few versions of Samsung's 'Galaxy' devices will see the 5.0 OS update, widely believed to be announced at Google's upcoming I/O conference in May. An insider speaking to SamMobile confirmed the next version of Google's mobile OS, which captured close to 70% of the global smartphone market in 2012, will contain significant updates. Among the most desired features that users would like to see in the 5.0 update are an improved browser, better integration between Android tablets and smartphones, and more fluid social network integration.

The same source reports some Samsung models including the Galaxy S2, original Galaxy Note, Galaxy S3 Mini, Galaxy Young, Galaxy Premier and Galaxy Ace will not see updates beyond 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean).

Below is a full list of Samsung's devices that will and will not support the 'Key Lime Pie' update.

End at Android 4.2.2 update To get Android 5.0
GT-S6312 – Galaxy Young DUOS
GT-S6810 – Galaxy Fame
GT-S7710 – Galaxy X Cover 2

Source: SamMobile via CNETImage: DigitalTrends

Google Maps Street View now shows off Mount Everest

Funny or Die to release Steve Jobs parody movie next month

I had a Samsung Galaxy SIII and still have my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE. While I liked the SIII, some of the programs I use for business lacked features compared to the iPhone versions, so I switched back.

The Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE is fine, except it is stuck on Android 4.0.4 and looks like it will _never_ get an update. This is the main reason I will not venture out and get a Galaxy SIV. Samsung supports a device up until the point sales drop, then they move on forgetting about the people that previously purchased their devices.

Before someone says I could root and install a mod, I can't. Certain business apps I use like Square for credit card processing don't work on modded firmwares. I've tried in the past, and it errors out more than it works. So I am stuck.

My next tablet will be without a doubt an iPad. As much as I love Android, Apple just flat out supports their devices longer, and in business, that retains users.

I think you missed the article up at the top, which states which devices are planned to get Android 5 and which aren't. If you look you'll see that the Galaxy Nexus will not be getting 5. That's Redmak's point.

I don't see why the Galaxy Nexus wouldn't get 5. It may take a bit longer if it's through a provider and not an unlocked one direct through Google, but it should end up getting it. This is probably for phones that Samsung will be responsible for the update (i.e. TouchWiz Android 5.0, not stock).

Galaxy Nexus usually doesn't show up in Samsung's lineup as it's a Google branded device. It only comes with vanilla android as all google editions do. I am pretty sure it will get android 5 as it was the first to get 4.2.2 as well as every other update.

Intrinsica said,

Really? Where does it say that? So You are telling me the Nexus 10 is not getting it? That is Samsung. Or perhaps this article is ill informed. You do know that Galaxy branded devices are updated by Google. You do know that Samsung devices have a modified version of Android that run TouchWiz? You do know that TouchWiz is a Samsung only software? So please explain why the Nexus 10 isn't listed then based on your argument. Or perhaps there is no argument and the author of the article and the people reading it as gospel need to be better informed.

kjordan2001 said,

I just wanted to clarify and build on what you said. The yakju model is the international (European) version sold by Google. It gets its update directly from Google too. No carrier involvement on that one either. It is the yakjuXX, where XX represents the country region code, which is sold by Samsung and has carrier involvement. What that means is Google gives Samsung those updates which is then given to the carrier which is then pushed to the user. But thankfully, you can flip it to takju or yakju. Yakju and yakjuXX doesn't have Google Wallet and Takju does. That takes care of the GSM version of the Galaxy Nexus.

Then you have mysid (Verizon model) and mysidspr (Sprint model). Since they are CDMA radio band, there is no escaping carrier involvement on a stock level.

All GSM Galaxy Nexus have the same exact hardware. The only way to tell them apart is by the build number in the software. The CDMA Galaxy Nexus have different hardware even form mysid and mysidspr. 1) The radios are different CDMA and LTE radios. 2)The battery is different 3) The back cover is different which can not be used interchangeably. 4)Mysidspr has a built in SIM card (for the LTE) that can't be removed easily where as mysid has a SIM card (for the LTE) that can be exchanged.

Did more reading and things seem bad for Samsung:

Basically it seems like there might be no Cyanogenmod for S4 (at least from Team Hacksung):
Is AOKP derived from CM?
I think many ROMs are derived from CM, right?

Quite a few negative threads at the XDA S4 forums.

Looks like Exynos hardware is no good for the long run.
But it should be fine for majority who don't do custom ROMs and change their phones after contract ends.

AOKP is derived from AOSP originally but kanged from all sorts of places like CM so now is pretty much its own animal.

There are many roms derived from CM, AOKP and AOSP.

Major Plonquer said,
Key Lime Pie? I thought it was supposed to be Kumquat....

Can't wait to see what features Google's stolen this time.

What was stolen before?

Why no Galaxi Mini 1 update to Android 5.0? At least when Samsung do that they can dismiss the Apple clamin about Android outdated OS on old cellphone.

Bit depressing the Galaxy Nexus isn't even on that list! it's not even on the 4.2.2 list!! well that pretty much confirms my suspicions that Samsung was planning to ditch the Galaxy Nexus after 4.1.2. The fact Google updated the Galaxy Nexus to 4.2.2 (and possibly might update to 5.0 although unlikely) and Samsung ditching support for the phone proves the whole decision to break up the Galaxy Nexus was massive mistake. Glad the Nexus 4 won't suffer from this.

LOL. You know very little you know that? Let me educate you just a little bit. God knows you need it.

1) The GSM Galaxy Nexus is on 4.2.2. This is controlled by Google. It will most likely get version 5.0.
2) The Verizon Galaxy Nexus is controlled by Verizon. Google gives them the update since Google doesn't license their CDMA keys. Verizon held off on the 4.2.1 update because of LTE Radio issues. They are readying the 4.2.2 and should be coming out "soon"
3) The Sprint Galaxy Nexus is controlled by... actually I will let you answer that one. I just want to see if you have been paying attention so far. Ok 1 clue for you. It is a CDMA carrier. Anyway that is on version 4.2.1.

So your suspicions that Samsung was planning to ditch the Galaxy Nexus is quite laughable. You have a lot to learn about GSM vs CDMA phones and why one can get updates right away with Google. Now you were saying something about facts? Can I get a source for your facts? What's the source for Samsung ditching support for Galaxy Nexus?

Now onto this story. These phone run a modified version of Android. These phones have the TouchWiz framework. When Samsung get the source code, Samsung needs time to make it work with TouchWiz. This is the reason why you never see OEM branded Android devices get the latest update quickly. You want to take a guess what happens with the update process with TouchWiz devices? If you said Samsung gives the CDMA carriers the update and the carrier approves the update for distribution, you would get a gold star.

Happy researching.

Edited by DarkNet, Mar 19 2013, 1:08am :

Looks like you need the education, my GSM Galaxy Nexus is controlled by SAMSUNG and Google has nothing todo with it, as are all carrier supported variants. The carriers merely test the software to ensure compatibility and request changes based on their network setup. Please do some more research before spouting nonsense. Thank you.

EDIT: Well that list in the article above for one, the [carrier supported] Galaxy Nexus is a Samsung supported phone and if it's not listed there chances of it getting updated are slim, just because Google pushes an update does not mean Samsung must also. The Samsung supported Galaxy Nexus is currently on 4.1.2, Samsung have no current plans to release 4.2.2 to the GSM variants under their control. This could change of cause but that list above suggests it's unlikely to me.

Edited by Xerxes, Mar 19 2013, 2:28am :

There are a few devices that are controlled by Samsung. Which country are you in. And did you know you can change that my friend. No hacking required. I can teach that to you too if you need it.

Xerxes said,

LOL. I love your comments. They are so cute. You really need to learn more about Nexus devices. I seriously can help you though. It seems you didn't know about the takju model at all. I can't believe you were waiting when you could have it updates much much sooner.

DarkNet said,

I live in Australia, unless you buy the phone direct from Google (to which it will be controlled by Google and would of been updated to 4.2.2) you fall under Samsung's control, so far the latest version released by them was 4.1.2.

DarkNet said,
Read this: http://tech2how.com/difference-between-takju-yakju/

Then do yourself a favor and download the Takju firmware from Google https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images. Guess what happens? Oh you mean you get updates from Google now. MAAAAGGGGGGICCCC!!!!

Yes I am aware of that, however, rooting and installing the official Google ROM is not that simple. Doing it will break the device and require further modification to fix it. The radio for example needs to be replaced with a custom one as the stock one does not work properly with my carrier because the band they use for their 3G network is not a common one. It just doesn't seem worth it to me, however, I'm not against rooting/customs ROMs as I did that with my HTC Desire, however that was out of necessity rather then "because I can" since was constantly running out of space on that thing... I appreciate you trying to help though, thanks.

DarkNet said,

I am well aware of it, been doing alot of research into it as well (as was getting sick of waiting month after month for the 4.1.2 update) however, as I stated above it not a simple matter of flashing the ROM and your done. Believe it or not but carrier customize the ROMs for better compatibility and reliability in their network, while Google just use a generic setup that is most cases just works. The case of my carrier is they don't use a generic setup and as a result custom settings are needed to retain full functionality. Some people have said they did a complete stock setup and not a problem while others have had nothing but trouble. Considering how hit and miss it seems, rather just wait for Samsung then risk bricking my phone.

Edited by Xerxes, Mar 19 2013, 2:09am :

You are not rooting at all. You are overwriting the OS. Sorry I din't give you the link for the process. http://webtrickz.com/guide-to-...-on-non-yakju-galaxy-nexus/

Be careful, you will erase your phone. But the benefits are so much better. Essential you are converting your phone to the Google Play model. It is the same hardware it is just the software you are changing to stock takju.

Ignore the link in the article for 4.2.1 and use the link from the prior message to 4.2.2 PM me if you want a walk through. I've helped so many people doing this.

DarkNet said,

Thanks but no thanks, I'd rather keep the carrier optimizations and warranty.

Suit yourself. If you are ever tired on waiting on Samsung to release what Google gave them months ago, go on XDA. See how many people have done it and enjoyed the benefits.

But don't think for one second Samsung made this update. That's not what a Nexus device is about.

But I will leave you with one thought, if you can get a Nexus 4 from Google directly will it work? How abut last year with the Galaxy Nexus? Those device don't have "carrier optimization" software.

Good luck.

Edit: I also found a great Australian site for you: http://www.androidaustralia.co...ind-and-how-you-can-fix-it/

Edited by DarkNet, Mar 19 2013, 2:28am :

Warranty remains perfectly intact as long as you backup your variant (yakjudv?). That way you can just restore your backup if you ever need to send it back for repair, nobody is the wiser. The only think you'd lose would be your data because you weren't informed enough to unlock your bootloader when you first got your device. Back up your sdcard, unlock and move it back; still not too painful.

Radios are completely independent of ROM. I'm running UGLL1 (latest Canadian) and before that UILH1 (latest Brazilian). You can keep using your DVLE1 or whatever you have/want. Unlocking doesn't wipe this and doesn't break anything.

Baseband (radio) collection on XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1405345

How to switch to yakju/takju from your regional variant: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1626895

It probably wouldn't hurt you to read this Android 101 & FAQ as well since it seems you've been reading a lot of misinformation: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1812959

Edited by osm0sis, Mar 19 2013, 4:51am :

osm0sis said,

No offense to Xerxes but as anyone can see, this is how FUD is spread. It takes one person to believe what they read (or maybe they didn't take time to understand something and make assumptions) and they spread it to the next unsuspecting person. In an age where information is at our fingertips, it is sad that bad information still spreads.

why even bring WP into this article, just another troll comment. Keep it on topic for a change and talk about Android 5. and oh Wp will kill android in low end phones which is a big deal.

korupt_one said,

So first you accuse the OP of bringing WP into the article, then slide in a quip about it anyway. Talk about hypocrisy.

Raa said,

I think you better look up the definition of hypocrisy because you are clearly unaware of its meaning...

i never had galaxy yet (switched to android under a year ago with HTC One X)

but after trying the galaxy 3, i am certain to get s4.
the battery life is much better and the battery is removable. and the support for it is much better, due to the sales numbers... original android, or custom mods, s3 got them all the fastest.

djdanster said,
Well there's always Cyanogenmod for my S2!

Alas, though I was once a huge fan of CM on my old Galaxy S, it's so utterly lacking compared to stock TouchWiz on my Galaxy Note 2 that it cripples the use of the device. Considering the attitude about S Pen support from CM devs, it looks like I'll be on stock for a long while, still. :<

Even on My S3 it has issues. Large data transfers over OTG are consistently corrupted. Apps like BTMono (listen to music over bluetooth headset) doesn't work. Stock Rom they both work. Too bad, lots to like but deal breaker on those 2 issues.

SuperNexus ROM is by far the best ROM by a 3rd party dev I have ever used. I think the dev's name is faryaab (or similar). He makes the rom for the S2, 3 and the Note + a few more. It's always up to date and I have never met a broken piece of software or part of it that doesn't work (other than the Photosphere camera)

Previously though, custom ROM's brought a lot to the table, making android up to date and fixing features/bugs the OEM's ignored. Now, with the likes of the note/S4 OEM's are bringing in some really amazing features. Eg on the S4 you have the motion tracking camera and IR LED, and the note has the S-pen.

These are not open source features, or part of stock Sammy firmware which means the devs have to either try rip it from the stock code or pretty much ignore it. This is a pretty big problem because most of the stock firmware is, to put it bluntly, cr*p. I have owned an S1, 2 and an HTC one X and all the stock firmware was pretty darned sad to be honest.

The same applies to the S4, stock firmware is rubbish, but the actual Samsung features are great, swiping left/right in contacts to call/text, answering when bringing the device to your ear, camera scrolling and there are HEAPS more I don't even know about because I don't use the stock ROM.

It's a shame we have to loose these because the OEM's are just useless. I fail to understand how a single guy like faryaab (and others) can make prefect ROM's for 4+ devices AND deal with support issues BY THEMSELVES and UNPAID!!! What the hell are HTC's, Samsung's dev teams up to in there?

Don't count on it.
From what I know bringing JB to Cyanogenmod for the S2 has been frustrating for devs.
Even till now its still mostly hacks and thus cannot have an M build or stable build.

The reason from what I read is Samsung not releasing sources for their Exynos chip:

Theres signs of S2 devs not wanting to develop for Samsung anymore too:

Makes me think twice about buying hardware with Exynos, on the other hand Qualcomm seems more dev-friendly:

But I guess S4 will still sell well as majority don't root and install custom ROMs.

S2 is in a weird place right now. The SO has a T-Mo one, and I keep it up to date on CM10.1, but nightlies have been suffering from a no-in-call-audio bug for the whole month of March, and February was some of the worst battery life I've seen since the Game Gear.

I'm baffled by the existence of problems like these, but I don't believe hobbyists would abandon Samsung altogether over closed code issues. There's been whining since the Samsung Moment hit Sprint back in '09, and every new generation has been met by an XDA forum load of angry moochers swearing they'll never buy another Samsung. But where are they gonna go? HTC? I wouldn't trade hackability for their shoddy build quality, and anyone who would has their priorities out of whack.

Have my S2 i9100 on the latest CM10.1 nightly and its been working fine.
Wifi ok, mobile data ok, calls ok.

Theres more to Samsung and Exynos.
Theres Sony and the Nexus line which are more developer friendly.
And whatever phones with a more open hardware achitecture, devs and hobbyist will sway more to those.
Anyway Samsung won't lose much as hobbyists is just a small fraction of its millions of customers.

S4 does have a Qualcomm version which might get some dev support, can't say for the Exynos version.
But I suppose there will be those modded TouchWiz ROMs for the Exynos S4.

iron2000 said,
Have my S2 i9100 on the latest CM10.1 nightly and its been working fine.
Wifi ok, mobile data ok, calls ok.

I only have the T-Mo one to go by, and it's pretty much been a nightmare. Everyone has just been installing a separate non-CM kernel now as a matter of habit.

People can talk about open hardware all they like, but it's never going to be of any consequence. It's been the sob story of open source for decades, and I just don't have the patience to feel pity for anyone. It's cute to want to support open and "hope" to "some day" have hardware makers let everyone and their kid brother have unlimited access to driver source, but some of us have lives to lead.

Joshie said,

Used to do that but recently I've settled with the updating via the CM Updater and using stock CM kernel. BLN isn't an issue anymore thanks to NoLED.

Joshie said,

I use Cleanrom from Scot. It uses the orginal Touchwiz as its foundation and all the original features are avail in it. I am glad I have a GN2 becaus ethat mean I will get 5.0. One way or another.