AOL has released Beta 3 of its new web mail client. It now has a new color scheme and redesigned buttons. Print functionality has been added and the Spam folder now includes a count of unread messages next to it
A free AOL account (AOL or AIM Screen Name) is needed to participate in the beta program. Windows 98 and Opera are currently not supported. Mac OS X only works with Firefox: Safari also incompatible. Once signed up, in order to switch back to AOL or AIM mail, a user can still sign in at mail.aol.com.
- The option to include a display name along with your email address. Instead of - mail you send being seen as coming from just your email address (e.g., "firstname.lastname@example.org", you can now attach your name to it (e.g., "Grace Gabavonovitch "
- Instant Messaging preferences that allow you to choose AIM or AIM Express as your preferred method for sending IMs while using Web Mail
- Right click context menu changes:
- In all message list views (for each type of folder)
- In the folder list
- Footer messaging on numerous actions (you'll see a blurb in the bottom area) to help you navigate the Web Mail functions.
- "Pop Out" windows for read and compose mail are now the default (you can change this in the Settings)
- A "Welcome to Mail" tour
- Performance improvements for folks using the Internet Explorer 6 browser note
- Bugs Fixed in Beta 3 Build 25322:
- Performance issues with Internet Explorer 6—particularly when you clicked on an action for the first time—have been significantly improved.
- The Spell Check should no longer highlight words that are obviously misspelled.
- AIM Mail users who delete default folders will no longer break the inability to send and receive mail.
- Column order and column name (To) is no longer carried over to other folders if the column order is changed in "Sent" folder
- The Print Email button has been added.
- You will now be able to create Distribution list in Contacts
- If a contact does not have a Buddy or Contact Image, a broken icon will no longer be displayed.
- Event detail dialog is no longer missing the time dropdowns for user to pick up time from.
- The content in the "Add Note" text box is now cleared for the new "To Do's."
- When you delete repeating events, you will no longer be asked whether you want to delete this event or delete this and Future Events.
- Your signature and incorrectly spelled words will no longer appear as hyperlinks when they are read by your message's recipient.
Link: Forum Discussion (Thanks MchWalte)
News source: AOL Beta Central