This past week AT&T released Android 4.4 KitKat for two of its less popular handsets, the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active and the LG G Flex. The Android 4.4 update can be performed over-the-air. Each device will have its own set of improvements in addition to the new features of Android 4.4.
- Improved user interface with Android 4.4 KitKat: The latest version of Android includes enhancements such as re-styled status and navigation bars, a new full-screen-immersive mode, color emoji support, improved closed captioning support, stronger security and smarter power use.
- Enhanced music access: Full screen album art and media controls are available from the lock screen when listening to music.
- Camera access: The camera can also be accessed directly from the lock screen.
- Location menu: An integrated location menu enables users to easily activate GPS and share location details.
- Wireless printing: Integrated support for wireless printing available in enhanced settings.
- New sound controls: Set sound for specific Samsung applications in enhanced settings
The LG G Flex will have similar enhancements to the UI, improved battery efficiency, and processing speed. The AT&T LG G Flex will receive the following:
- Updated user interface with Android 4.4 KitKat: The latest version of Android includes enhancements such as restyled status and navigation bars, a new full-screen mode, improved closed captioning support, and stronger security.
- Improved battery efficiency: The phone plays music more efficiently and supports the battery-saving location mode, extending battery life.
- Faster processing speed: The latest version of Android provides a noticeable speed boost that runs applications faster than ever and improves web-browsing speed.
- Printing in the Cloud: Google Cloud Printer makes it simple to print documents via Wi-Fi or a Bluetooth connection.
- Knock Code ™: Tap a pattern to quickly and securely unlock the phone
Google released Android 4.4 KitKat on October 2013. The design of Android shifted to a cleaner and more polished look. A couple of notable features include, the introduction of a touchless search experience that allows users to just say “OK, Google Now”. This command can launch voice search, send text messages, get directions or even play a song. In Android 4.4, the new auto-hiding interface introduces a more immersive experience when watching a movie or reading a book by hiding the status bar and navigation buttons. Android 4.4 brings better overall optimizations that allow devices to run faster, smoother, and longer.
The Android 4.4 KitKat update for the AT&T LG G Flex and Samsung Galaxy S4 Active are available now as an OTA download.