Has Creative made a traitorous or intelligent move here?
After settling its differences with Apple, Creative Labs has unearthed its latest Xdock Wireless product: a certified "Made for iPod" accessory. Audio enhancing features include X-Fi Crystalizer, CMSS-3D and DTS surround sound. On the video side of things, the dock is equipped with S-Video and composite video outputs. Inputs include analog audio for other MP3 players as well as USB connectivity. Up to four optional X-Fi wireless receivers allow 100ft broadcasting of music without a wireless 802.11b/g network. Song selection, however, is only available on the main Xdock Wireless but each individual zone has its own volume and audio enhancing controls.
The Xdock Wireless has the following key features:
- It plays music through multiple X-Fi Wireless Receivers, which are sold separately, in different rooms of the home connected to powered speakers or a home theater system.
- It plays music in Xtreme Fidelity - music beyond CD quality.
- A line-out for connection to powered speakers, which also functions as an optical-out to your home theater for DTS surround-sound.
- S-video and composite video-out connections, so digital photos and videos stored on an iPod can be displayed on a TV screen.
- A wireless remote to navigate the iPod menu, adjust volume levels, and activate X-Fi Crystalizer and X-Fi CMSS-3D.
- It docks and charges an iPod and includes line-in for connection of other audio devices.
In Spring 2007, the Xdock Wireless will arrive priced at $199 while the optional X-Fi Wireless will be priced at $99.99. Both products bought together are expected to be under $300.