FreeArc is a modern general-purpose archiver. Main advantage of FreeArc is fast but efficient compression and rich set of features. Typically, FreeArc works 2-5 times faster than best programs in each compression class (ccm, 7-zip, rar, uharc -mz, pkzip) while retaining the same compression ratio; from technical grounds, it’s superior to any existing practical compressor. Other features include LZMA, PPMD, TrueAudio and generic Multimedia compression algorithms with automatic switching by file type and more.
- Solid compression with smart updates (only changed solid blocks are recompressed)
- User-definable solid block size (-s…) and file sorting order (-ds…), including customized filename ordering (arc.groups)
- AES/Blowfish/Twofish/Serpent encryption with keyfiles support and ability to chain multiple ciphers (-p, -hp, --keyfile, --encryption=ALGORITHMS)
- FAR and Total Commander plugins allow to create/browse/extract archives using the file manager interface
- Ability to create SFX (self-extracted) archives and installers
- Ability to list/extract archives directly from Internet: arc x http://freearc.org/demo/arc.arc *.h
- Archive protection and recovery, including recovery over Internet driven by CRCs of archive sectors (r/rr/-rr/--original=URL)
- Ability to test archive before and after any operation (-tp/-t), including checking by recovery record and full archive test
- and much, much more...
Changes in this version:
- Compression to zip and 7z formats
- and lot of smaller changes. Full changelog.