FrostWire is a free Gnutella client based on LimeWire distributed under terms of the GPL. It was created in September 2005 after LimeWire LLC received a cease and desist letter from the RIAA, threatening to sue them for millions of dollars unless they stop their users from offering copyrighted songs. Unwilling to take the matter to court, LimeWire implemented a filter, preventing its users from sharing audio files that did not contain either a commercial Weed license or a Creative Commonse License. The LimeWire open-source community then decided to create FrostWire, - a free offspring using the publicly available sourcecode from LimeWire to create a Gnutella client that does not filter any content. This project is not affiliated with LimeWire LLC--the official maker of the LimeWire application.The FrostWire project will always remain strictly non-profit and free of any bundled software, including any ads or nags.
- Connection Bootstrapping problems should be gone. TurboCharged connection is achieved on average under 5 seconds after launch.
- “Buy” button on the search result panel.
- Polish Translation Included. Finally got around Encoding issues of the Java ResourceBundle class. More translations with their correct characters coming in the future. (thanks Paulinka for the translation)
- New FrostWire Icon on the Icon Tray for Windows XP (thanks to sw1tch)
- The Bugmanager window still said “LimeWire” (it was very well hidden in the code). Thanks to Marcelina Knitter for reporting.
- Fixes on Update Notification Mechanism.
- Fixes on Chat Banner Loading Mechanism, banner reloading interval from server is now configurable. Banners can now be delivered per FrostWire version. Faster startup and savings on bandwidth.
- Cleaning of IRC Stack traces.
Link: Home Page