GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It has many capabilities. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter, etc. GIMP is expandable and extensible. It is designed to be augmented with plug-ins and extensions to do just about anything. The advanced scripting interface allows everything from the simplest task to the most complex image manipulation procedures to be easily scripted.
Features and Capabilities:
- Full suite of painting tools including Brush, Pencil, Airbrush, Clone, etc.
- Sub-pixel sampling for all paint tools for high quality anti-aliasing
- Extremely powerful gradient editor and blend tool
- Supports custom brushes and patterns
- Tile based memory management so image size is limited only by available disk space
- Virtuallya unlimited number of images open at one time
* Advanced Manipulation
- Full alpha channel support
- Layers and channels
- Multiple Undo/Redo (limited only by diskspace)
- Editable text layers
- Transformation tools including rotate, scale, shear and flip
- Selection tools including rectangle, ellipse, free, fuzzy and intelligent
- Advanced path tool doing bezier and polygonal selections.
- Transformable paths, transformable selections.
- Quickmask to paint a selection and more...
Changes in GIMP 2.4.2
- removed broken and useless HSV Graph script (bug #491311)
- update the histogram when a color correction tool is cancelled (bug #493639)
- fixed a crash with certain plug-in or script descriptions (bug #492718 )
- corrected a tooltip (bug #495564)
- fixed a crash when GIMP is run without any modules (bug #495863)
- fixed error handling in the TIFF plug-in
- fixed a problem with Sample points
- fixed a crash when merging layers in indexed image (bug #495990)
- update the histogram when painting (bug #494049)
- fixed another problem with merge operations on indexed images (bug #496437)
- fixed crash in TIFF plug-in when saving indexed images (bug #497103)
- changed defaults so that a system monitor profile is only used when the user explicitely enabled this feature (bug #496890)
- fixed endless loop when running equalize on transparent areas (bug #497291)
- fixed heap corruption in GimpColorScale widget that caused a crash in the Compose plug-in (bug #399484)
- fixed use of background color in Particle Trace script (bug #498282)
- set the image menu insensitive when there's no image opened (bug #498511)
- translation updates (ca, et, it, lt, pt, pt_BR, sr, sv)