On Wednesday, Google updated its Google Earth application with features that teach users about the location they are looking at. According to Google, this list of content providers will grow automatically. Special icons mark the content features in the "Layers" section.
New features include:
- United Nations Environment: crisis zones, 100 environmentally degrading areas, 30 year history view
- Discovery Networks: virtual tours of major attractions/cities/natural wonders, video segments discussing significance/history
- National Parks Service: 10,000 trails and 58 national parks, park descriptions and visitor information
- Jane Goodall Institue: allow tracking of preserve chimpanzees
- A Turn Here: city video guides, mentions "hidden gems" for many large cities
News source: Betanews