Google has rolled out an update to its own keyboard app on Android in the Play Store, the update is significant in that it now comes with personalized word suggestion synced from the cloud from other Google services. Not to be confused with the "personal dictionary", this adds another scope to the experience by syncing personal auto suggested (saved) words from Chrome browser, Gmail, Calendar, Google+, and Drive.
After applying the update, the user is given a prominent warning of the new feature, perhaps saving embarrassment for synced unsavory words used in the other Google products, and also because it is enabled by default.
This update will also be applied OTA for KitKat 4.4 users, the keyboard also features 4.4 only options but can be installed on Android 4.0 or later, full description of the update is below.
Google Keyboard makes text input smart and easy. Glide through letters with Gesture Typing – just lift to finish a word, no spacebar required. Compose notes on-the-go with Voice Typing. With amazing word recognition and next-word prediction, Google Keyboard helps you type faster and more accurately on all your Android devices. When you can’t find the right thing to say, don’t write at all, the new Google Keyboard supports hundreds of emojis so you can express yourself in any Android app (KitKat or later).
- Emoji entry point and layouts (Android 4.4, KitKat or later)
- Gesture Typing with dynamic floating preview
- Space aware Gesture Typing (no need to lift your finger while typing - just gesture through the space key)
- Voice Typing
- Next-word suggestions and current-word completions
- Dictionaries for 26 languages
- Advanced keyboard layouts
- Works across your Android devices (tablets and phones)