As King Mustard mentioned in our forums, Microsoft quietly announced yesterday that Halo 2 Vista had gone gold, and will be in stores on or shortly after May 8th (which is the same day Games for Windows - Live! launches).
The entertainment phenomenon that conquered the digital universe is once again out to save the planet as the award-winning, best-selling "Halo 2" is coming to the Windows Vista platform. Optimized for the advanced gaming features in Windows Vista, "Halo 2" promises to revolutionize the first-person shooter experience for Windows gamers, as it did for consoles. With its classic story, enhanced visual presentation, multiplayer excitement and all-new Map Editor, "Halo 2" for Windows Vista offers more new content and game customization than ever before.
Windows Vista gamers will be able to experience the epic story of "Halo 2" as Master Chief delves further into the mystery of the Covenant in the aftermath of Halo's destruction. What he discovers will soon threaten the fate not only of Earth, but of the Universe itself.
- Epic narrative. The saga continues with "Halo 2," the international award-winning sequel to the highly successful and critically acclaimed "Halo: Combat Evolved." In this sequel, the battle comes to Earth, and Master Chief, a genetically enhanced super soldier, is the only thing standing between the relentless alien Covenant and the destruction of all humankind.
- Exciting single-player gameplay. Experience firsthand the epic struggle between Master Chief and the Covenant armada. Brandish dual-wield weapons and Covenant arms, while piloting human and non-human vehicles and aircraft to battle intelligent AI alien enemies.
- Unmatched online gaming. "Halo 2" for Windows Vista will tap into the power of Games for Windows — LIVE to deliver online matchmaking for its Gold account members. The service will enable Windows Vista gamers around the globe to connect via their PCs and play in an innovative and competitive online forum.
- New multiplayer Map Editor. The game will also feature the all-new Map Editor, guaranteeing new fan-generated content in the future. The "Halo 2" community will be able to tap their endless creative potential to develop an unlimited number of user-created multiplayer levels.
- Complete community freedom. "Halo 2" for Windows Vista offers gamers the freedom to host their own dedicated servers for maximum multiplayer action.
- Superior presentation and cinematic excellence. Bring the vast, imaginative world of "Halo 2" to life on the Windows Vista platform through higher-resolution textures and improved lighting effects. Experience the unmatched cinematic quality of "Halo 2" through the power of Windows Vista.
- Unprecedented pedigree. The "Halo" franchise is one of the best-selling, most monumental entertainment experiences in history with more than 14.7 million units sold worldwide, more than 18 game-of-the-year awards, and 750 million hours and 500 million matches logged over Xbox LIVE®. "Halo 2" was also one of the most successful entertainment launches of all time — including books, films, graphic novels, games and music. "Halo 2" for Windows Vista brings this incredible experience to Windows Vista gamers everywhere.
Please note, that cross platform multiplayer between Xbox/Xbox 360 users and Vista users is not available with Halo 2 Vista. However you can use Games for Windows - Live! just like you can on Xbox 360. Did I mention Halo 2 Vista comes with achievements also? Yup, there are 41 achievements with 1000 points available.