HandBrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded DVD to MPEG-4 ripper/converter, available for MacOS X, Linux and Windows. To use HandBrake on Windows you need the MS .NET Framework 2.0 installed on your computer.
* Any DVD-like source: VIDEO_TS folder, DVD image or real DVD (even encrypted)
* PAL or NTSC
* AC-3, LPCM or MPEG audio tracks
* File format: MP4, AVI or OGM
* Video: MPEG-4 or H.264 (1 or 2 passes or constant quantizer encoding)
* Audio: AAC, MP3, Vorbis or AC-3 pass-through (supports encoding of several audio tracks)
* Chapter selection
* Basic subtitle support (burned into the picture)
* Integrated bitrate calculator
* Picture deinterlacing, cropping and scaling
* Grayscale encoding
Handbrake 0.9.0 Changes
* User experience is improved through a re-envisioned Mac interface and a Windows interface that's been rebuilt from the ground up.
* Picture quality is improved through better image scaling, better deinterlacing, new filters for denoising, deblocking, inverse telecine, and new presets devoted to high quality settings.
* Speed improvements due to updated copies of x264 and ffmpeg. This includes improved multi-threaded encoding for the iPod.
* Compatibility is improved through new presets for devices like the iPhone and PSP. As well, HandBrake now supports DTS as an audio source and has limited support for .VOB and .TS file containers as input. Most excitingly, HandBrake can now output to the Matroska (MKV) file container.
* Stability has been improved due to countless bug fixes. (Including audio drop and mp2 issues). Handbrake also has optional support for MP4 files larger than 4 gigabytes.