Apple's just released iOS5.1 to the public after months of testing. The release brings a few new features, Japanese support to Siri and a truckload of bugfixes.
The great news is you can get it now, without plugging your iOS device into anything. Here's how:
- Make sure your iOS device has at least 50% charge
- Connect to WiFi (You can't download this over 3G, sorry)
- Navigate to Settings -> General -> Software Update
Wait for the fetch to complete and you should see the below
- Click install update and wait for it to download
- Your iPhone will automatically restart and apply the firmware. This takes around ten minutes.
- Your iPhone will reboot and appear to be applying again, this will take around five minutes.
- The update is complete! Easy!
If you need more information on the process, you can use the Apple KB article here.
If you're on AT&T, apparently you now have "4G" connectivity, which is causing a lot of controversy since it's untrue. You'll also notice the camera icon is now permanently on the lock screen and you can delete photos from your iCloud Photostream now! Let us know in the comments what you've found.